advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
HELP! HDMI and ARC audio scheme
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: January 09, 2019 10:20AM
When my daughter was here over the holidays, I assisted her with an AV Receiver decision.
She wanted one with a Phono input. I found an Onkyo on sale that had that. Also had 4 HDMI ports.

It arrived and the HDMI Out is HDMI ARC. Apparently, HDMI ARC is different from HDMI. The difference was not mentioned in the Information.

Tom's Guide says: What is ARC?
The often-overlooked ARC stands for "Audio Return Channel," and ever since the HDMI 1.4 standard was introduced, ARC has been available on TVs, soundbars and receivers. This protocol offers two-way communication between devices over a single HDMI connection. Essentially, the HDMI ARC port lets you use HDMI as both an input and an audio output.

A regular HDMI cable also provides both Audio and Video signals. The purpose of the ARC is to eliminate the AV Receiver and save you money.

Is anybody familiar enough with ARC to know if I can use the HDMI ARC out port as a regular HDMI out port to her 2014 Vizio TV?

This crap is driving me crazy!!!

Thanks to all!

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: HELP! HDMI and ARC audio scheme
Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 09, 2019 10:22AM
[www.tomsguide.com]

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.

Television is a medium because it is neither rare nor well done.
>>>Ernie Kovacs>>>
Date: January 09, 2019 10:26AM
That article does not answer my question.
I should not have to use an Optical cable for sound.
Perhaps I need her to return the AV Receiver.

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 09, 2019 10:32AM
my new tele, TCL, has an HDMI/ARC. My receiver is pre that, just HDMI.
I still needed 2 cables, IE round trip, as the rcvr wasn't HDMI/ARC equipped. I think both devices need the port for 1 cable round trip.

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.

Television is a medium because it is neither rare nor well done.
>>>Ernie Kovacs>>>
Posted by: tahoedrew
Date: January 09, 2019 10:38AM
WHiiP

Is anybody familiar enough with ARC to know if I can use the HDMI ARC out port as a regular HDMI out port to her 2014 Vizio TV?

Yes.

Simple.

~A
Posted by: Forrest
Date: January 09, 2019 10:38AM
I don't see a downside to the having a receiver with a HDMI ARC port. You can use it exactly like a regular HDMI port.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 09, 2019 10:59AM
tahoedrew
WHiiP

Yes.

Simple.

~A

Most traditional audio connections are unidirectional. All ARC does is enable the HDMI link between the device and TV to transmit audio in both directions.

Note that your TV likely has only one ARC-enabled HDMI-In port. If you have more than one ARC-enabled device, you'll need to connect them to individual HDMI-In ports on the receiver and connect the ARC-enabled HDMI-Out port on the receiver to the ARC-enabled HDMI-In port on the TV.

It is what it is.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 09, 2019 11:04AM
.....so 'ARC the 'erald Angels sing.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: datbeme
Date: January 09, 2019 12:22PM
WHiiP
That article does not answer my question.
I should not have to use an Optical cable for sound.
Perhaps I need her to return the AV Receiver.

You don't need to return it. It's fine. There is no downside.

The purpose is to allow a return channel of audio from the TV over the single HDMI cable. It's a feature that is unnecessary for common external sources such as cable, blu-ray or Apple TV. But if you want a smart TV to supply the content (or an antennae), you need to get the audio back to the receiver somehow. Since TVs don't have HDMI Out, without ARC you would have to connect a separate optical cable to accomplish that.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 09, 2019 02:13PM
I think ARC is mostly to deal with TVs that have a lag between input of signal and when the signal shows on screen. The return channel allows the receiver to sync better with the display. You don't need to bother with it if you don't notice a lag. The receiver should have a setting to enable or disable it in the settings.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 09, 2019 02:24PM
Filliam H. Muffman
I think ARC is mostly to deal with TVs that have a lag between input of signal and when the signal shows on screen. The return channel allows the receiver to sync better with the display. You don't need to bother with it if you don't notice a lag. The receiver should have a setting to enable or disable it in the settings.

Hoo boy. SO wrong.

ARC stands for Audio Return Channel. Its purpose is to enable bidirectional audio over an HDMI link, as myself and others in the thread have already described. The Tom's Hardware link states the same.

HDMI-CEC also operates over ARC. The Tom's Hardware link describes what HDMI-CEC does. Hint: It doesn't "allow the receiver to sync better with the display."

It is what it is.
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: January 09, 2019 02:29PM
Yes.

Just plug it into any HDMI port on the Vizio. If the Vizio has an HDMI also labeled with Arc, then even better and plug it into that one.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 09, 2019 03:01PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Filliam H. Muffman

Hoo boy. SO wrong.

ARC stands for Audio Return Channel. Its purpose is to enable bidirectional audio over an HDMI link, as myself and others in the thread have already described. The Tom's Hardware link states the same.

HDMI-CEC also operates over ARC. The Tom's Hardware link describes what HDMI-CEC does. Hint: It doesn't "allow the receiver to sync better with the display."

The receiver playing the return audio that better matches what is on the screen is one feature of ARC.

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Date: January 09, 2019 09:34PM
Thanks All.

She has the TV sound working just fine now, thanks to y'all. Just need to get rid of the turntable "hum" and increase the volume from the TT and she will be happy.

Yes, the TT has the grounding wire attached to the receiver, but the "hum" is still there especially since she has to turn the Master Volume up so much just to barely hear the record. Any clues on this?

Thanks, again.

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: January 09, 2019 10:10PM
WHiiP
Yes, the TT has the grounding wire attached to the receiver, but the "hum" is still there especially since she has to turn the Master Volume up so much just to barely hear the record. Any clues on
this?.

Got a phono/line-level switch on the TT?

Probably needs to output line-level.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 10, 2019 07:12AM
.....whose TTs....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 10, 2019 08:22AM
You never want a turntable to output line-out unless the amplifier only has a line-in. That scenario implies the phono stage is inside the turntable (and connected/chosen as such) instead of the usual location, inside the amp.

If the playback volume is low, all of that is likely correctly sorted because it’s normal for record playback to be at a lower volume relative to line level sources such as CD players.

Modern amps/receivers with electronic volume controls (the kind that never stop rotating) have a physical rotation to the knob that’s very “lax,” and with low level sources will exacerbate the impression you’re twisting the knob (and volume) “way up” to hear properly.

I’m just trying to adjust your expectations if that’s what’s happening here.

I’d have to know more about the ground problem since you’re saying there’s decent ground at both amp and turntable, but double check. Also double check the cartridge leads. Two of the four wires are ground wires. smiling smiley
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: January 10, 2019 02:36PM
deckeda
You never want a turntable to output line-out unless the amplifier only has a line-in. ...

Outputting phono-level without the EQ would explain the issue with "hum" and low-volume very neatly.

For more info:
[blog.audio-technica.com]

Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 11, 2019 08:32AM
WHip,

DIdn't see this mentioned anywhere. The HDMI port with ARC allows your TV to send audio to the receiver. That way, if you're using one of the TV's smart apps, i.e. Netflix, or watching TV with an OTA antenna, you can have the audio come out of the receiver instead of the TV's built-in speakers. That's how I use the HDMI ports with ARC on my TV and receiver. Works very nicely.

Robert
Date: January 11, 2019 08:22PM
Thanks, again. I will pass on the possible fixes for the TT audio problem. You guys always deliver!

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

— David Rains Wallace
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 312
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018