advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
my iMessages is a mess.
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 10, 2019 08:35AM
I have phone number and 2 emails registered with iMessages.

Wife had one phone # and one email.

Dad has one email only.

iMessages between me and my wife seems better now, there seems to be only one thread between us. It was a mess in the past.

but now trouble started with iMessages between me and Dad. He wrote me an iMessage this morning. I saw that on my MBP.

I went upstairs to scan a document with MacMini and responded to him from there. first I did not see his message on the Mini. I think (in fact I am sure) that I have the same phone number and email addresses registered with iMessages (and facetime) on that Mini.

so I started a new iMessage thread to him. I sent a "test" message, it showed as delivered. Then I sent the actual document. It did show as delivered.

I came downstairs to MacBook and here I saw the doc I sent to HIM, it did now show as Delivered. WTF? I called him on What's App, he said the laptop was ON, I send him the document again (from MacBook) and now it arrived fine. The previous one still does not show as delivered.

Then, as I was using iMesage on MacBook, a thread below showed a new message. That was a Thank You from a colleague. I did see his Thank You 2 days ago, on the iPhone and it showed up as read. Why that does that old message show up as new again on this Machine???

I am confused with Apple's implementation of iMessages, perhaps I should have registered only the phone number and never should have registered the email with iMessage and Facetime. I think that was a mistake. I should have had one single point of contact.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: my iMessages is a mess.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: January 10, 2019 08:57AM
One single point of contact is the way to go. Remove the others and tell your Dad and wife. If any party sends to a removed address, the message will not be delivered and the Sender is notified.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on several OSes and an ego trip.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: January 10, 2019 08:58AM
One single point of contact is the way to go. Remove the others and tell your Dad and wife. If any party sends to a removed address, the message will not be delivered and the Sender is notified.

SMS on the iPhone is a different story. I dislike it intensely.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on several OSes and an ego trip.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 10, 2019 09:05AM
....iSee....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: January 10, 2019 10:23AM
iCloud sync for Messages has been recently implemented, and it’s off by default.
You may want to check your devices, it’s in Settings app/iCloud I think.

• back to confinement
Posted by: Ammo
Date: January 10, 2019 05:08PM
rich in distress
iCloud sync for Messages has been recently implemented, and it’s off by default.
You may want to check your devices, it’s in Settings app/iCloud I think.

In my case, this requires activating 2 factor authentication.

“Eenie meenie chili beanie, the spirits are about to speak.“ Bullwinkle

“Pessimism is a luxury of good times. In difficult times, it is a self-fulfilling, self-inflicted death sentence.” – Evelin Lindner (German psychologist, physician)

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” George Orwell
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: January 10, 2019 08:45PM
That’s a though one. I’m not trying to be a smart axe, but anybody who could benefit from this feature, has another device available.
I had to do the 2FA because HomePod required it, and I’ve had not had a single problem.
I don’t sign out from my phone, and I don’t login from other devices.
I had to use it twice, to log into iCloud.com from the laptop I keep in snow leopard, and to set the mini I keep “current”. i have not turned on that mini since Mojave is available, so...
I understand there are people with different circumstances than mine, but it has been transparent to me.
But anyway,

• back to confinement
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 271
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018