advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How to clean iPhone 6s Charging port
Posted by: Microman
Date: January 10, 2019 08:50AM
Was going to backup and restore my grandsons iPhone 6s, when I discovered that none of my cables were working on his phone. iTunes recognized it for a moment, then nothing. I used a wooden toothpick and got some lint trash out, but after giving him the phone back, he was able to make it charge (his usual way) with the cable forced up a little, as seen in the image.

I don't want to dig around in there too much, but I have fixed my iPhone 6s with a toothpick before, I am just hoping that it doesn't need service or a new port, which is quite intensive from the video I watch last night.

What do you think. Magnifying glass, and strong light, and give toothpick a try again?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How to clean iPhone 6s Charging port
Posted by: p8712
Date: January 10, 2019 09:05AM
Compressed air?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 10, 2019 09:11AM
....with vim and vigor.....and aplomb.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: 3d
Date: January 10, 2019 09:15AM
While you are there with the toothpick. Clean out the microphone holes on the bottom as well. The left and right holes closest to the charging port are the 2 microphone holes.
Posted by: MEG
Date: January 10, 2019 09:24AM
Give it another go with the toothpick. I've used an interdental brush in the past which I found better than a toothpick due to the bristles and smaller size. YMMV.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 10, 2019 10:53AM
plastic or wood device to scoop out the large debris, followed up by a Q-Tip dipped in alcohol and twirled to a smaller diameter to clean the contacts. I do that every six months or so when it starts getting wonky.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 10, 2019 10:54AM
....can one use one of those small vacuum cleaners, the mini ones, used for keyboards to suck out the dust......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 10, 2019 01:04PM
In dishwasher........

Pots and Pans setting......

smiley-shocked003
Posted by: clay
Date: January 10, 2019 02:40PM
testcase
In dishwasher........

Pots Ports and Pans setting......

smiley-shocked003
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 10, 2019 03:02PM
Microman
Was going to backup and restore my grandsons iPhone 6s, when I discovered that none of my cables were working on his phone. iTunes recognized it for a moment, then nothing. I used a wooden toothpick and got some lint trash out, but after giving him the phone back, he was able to make it charge (his usual way) with the cable forced up a little, as seen in the image.

Are you saying it will only charge in that manner? Perhaps it is his cable that is the problem now.
Posted by: Winston
Date: January 10, 2019 04:31PM
I use a toothpick dipped in isopropyl alcohol*. Used gently, I've found this very effective for cleaning the Lighting port on iPhones an iPads.

The problem with a Q-tip is that they tend to leave lint hung up on something. The cardboard or plastic stick in them is also too thick for a Lightning port. A toothpick will soften at the end and turn into a sort of small brush after it's used a bit, and the side of the toothpick can be used to clean across the contacts in the Lightning port.

Good luck.

- Winston

* I used to say "rubbing alcohol", but then my daughter had a bottle labeled "rubbing alcohol" which contained ethyl alcohol and acetone (!). Acetone will melt many plastics, and I'd not want to use it around an iPhone.

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: Winston
Date: January 10, 2019 04:39PM
Microman
What do you think. Magnifying glass, and strong light, and give toothpick a try again?

Try the toothpick dipped in isopropyl alcohol. Clean into the corners of the port with the tip of the toothpick, and across the contacts, top and bottom, with the side of the toothpick. Suggest wiping the toothpick off once or twice with a paper towel and re-dipping it in the alcohol as you work, or if it picks up lint. Don't want it dripping with alcohol, but do want it damp.

And, don't use a toothpick that has a color added - use just plain wood. Isopropyl alcohol might dissolve the food coloring used on a colored toothpick, and you'd not want to get the dye into the iPhone.

Make sure the port is dry before you plug in the Lightning cord. Isopropyl alcohol drys quickly, but it wouldn't hurt to blow into the port or used canned air to make sure it's dry.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 332
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018