advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Family tree as a GED file — help wanted
Posted by: abevilac
Date: January 10, 2019 11:57AM
One of my cousins must have spent a lot of time creating our family tree with over 600 names. The file was originally created in Family Tree Maker 2008 for Windows Vista! Over Christmas I got help from my brother in law to open the file on his Windows machine and port it to a GED file, but now I’m having difficulty finding software free or otherwise to open and edit the file on my Mac.
Anyone have any favorite applications? There are a bunch out there but not a lot of quality control.

Thanks for any help.
Ann
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Family tree as a GED file — help wanted
Posted by: davester
Date: January 10, 2019 12:34PM
I've used both Reunion and MacFamilyTree and I believe both will open GED files. Reunion is the most universally used of the two. You can probably get demo versions to see if they work before committing to either one.

Note that I have found in the past that some GED files are in fact "GED" files (i.e. they don't follow the format requirements exactly) and can be difficult to open with non-originating programs.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Re: Family tree as a GED file — help wanted
Posted by: Pat
Date: January 10, 2019 01:40PM
GEDit
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 297
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018