advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Reminder: don't forget to harass companies you pay money to for a better deal
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: January 10, 2019 05:42PM
A thread on a very different message board this week reminded me that I ought to check my billing for home internet and TV service. I've been using ATT for the last couple of years, and the service is decent, but checking their new customer offers, I was paying about $50 too much. Checking Crapcast's current new customer offer, which was even less, I was paying WAY too much.

So I got on the Death Star new service site and clicked on the CHAT button (which does not show up in every browser, so try a different one if you don't see it), and asked straight up, "Why shouldn't I fire you and save a bunch of money?" The first-tier sales rep couldn't help, giving me the usual line about "those rates are only for new subscribers," but she forwarded me to the Retention department. I put the Crapcast price out there, waited... and they matched it.

I'm talking $73/month cheaper than my previous rate, more than a 50% cut, and savings of frickin' $876 over the next year. Not exactly peanuts.

So do your homework, find out what the going rate is, and take it to those guys/gals. They're more than happy to take it to you.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Reminder: don't forget to harass companies you pay money to for a better deal
Posted by: Pam
Date: January 10, 2019 05:45PM
Yep. Did that with ADT and should have done it years ago.
Re: Reminder: don't forget to harass companies you pay money to for a better deal
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 10, 2019 05:56PM
Lucky are those who have multiple choices.

I have only one viable ISP, and that is Comcast.

FiOS is a block away but they did not install FiOS here.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: January 10, 2019 05:57PM
I chatted with AT&T yesterday. My internet and TV bill went from $118 to $137, I called and after a few minutes I was down to $116 mo
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 10, 2019 06:53PM
......harass......????

.....#metoo......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: January 10, 2019 08:47PM
Sadly, in Utah, Comcast knows the areas where Century Link DSL is super slow won't back down on their prices. The customer service person for Xfinity told me this straight up over the phone.

Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: January 11, 2019 01:30AM
emoticon-tv-015
Meanwhile, the rest of the first world doesn't understand why the USA has such inferior internet service that costs so much more than their own!
[en.wikipedia.org]

Someday the obstacles to Terrestrial FSO communication will be overcome.
Sadly, I don't think any of us will still be around to appreciate it.

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
"I Call Shenanigans!"
-Kyle Broflovski

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 333
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018