advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
oral examination?!.....yikes!! good oral may be giving you cancer......!!
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 10, 2019 09:48PM
....Oral-B Glide floss.......

Oral-B Glide floss tied to potentially toxic PFAS chemicals, study suggests

.....Using Oral-B Glide dental floss might be associated with higher levels of toxic PFAS chemicals in your body, according to a new peer-reviewed study of consumer behaviors potentially linked to the substances.

PFAS, or per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances, are potentially harmful chemicals often used for their water and grease resistance.

The study, which aimed to explain how these chemicals enter the human body, was published Tuesday in the Journal of Exposure Science & Environmental Epidemiology and comes from the Silent Spring Institute in Newton, Massachusetts, and Public Health Institute in Berkeley, California.

Researchers found higher levels of PFHxS (perfluorohexanesulfonic acid), a PFAS, in women who flossed with Oral-B Glide compared to those who didn't.

"This is the first study to show that using dental floss containing PFAS is associated with a higher body burden of these toxic chemicals," lead author Katie Boronow, a scientist at Silent Spring, said in a statement.

In a statement to USA TODAY on Thursday, Oral-B said it didn't find any of the substances in the study in its floss. "The safety of the people who use our products is our top priority. Our dental floss undergoes thorough safety testing and we stand behind the safety of all our products," the company said.

Among the other behaviors in the study that were associated with higher PFAS levels: Having stain-resistant carpet or furniture and living in a city with drinking water contaminated by a PFAS.

Researchers also found that African-American women who ate food from coated cardboard containers had higher PFAS levels for four of the chemicals studied compared to those who didn't.

According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, "there is evidence that exposure to PFAS can lead to adverse human health effects."

Floss, other hygiene products, nonstick cookware, fast food wrappers and microwave popcorn bags are among the various products the Centers for Disease Control lists as potentially containing PFAS.

Exposure to certain PFAS chemicals, like perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) and perfluorooctanesulfonic acid (PFOS), has ties to cancer, ulcerative colitis in adults and thyroid disease in children, among other health problems, researchers said.........

O.....M.......G.....?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2019 12:50PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: oral examination?!.....yikes!! oral may be giving you cancer......!!
Posted by: wave rider
Date: January 11, 2019 02:06AM
Dang!

I bought a six-pack at the Costco…

=wr=
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 11, 2019 03:44AM
Flossing has never been proven to actually work... so theres that.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: January 11, 2019 05:32AM
This really blows. Thanks for posting, though.

These companies put this stuff out with it seems very little concern for public health. The scent business is also riddled with chemicals..and the scent business is pervasive in pretty much every consumer product from clothing to food to toothpaste (and floss, minty fresh floss/mouthwash, anyone?), cleaning products and beyond.

Until enough people wake up and smell the coffee (oh sure there's probably unhealthy scents there, too), we are all gonna keep slowly dying from cancers.
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 11, 2019 08:30AM
A few months ago it was posted here that using mouth wash can lead to increase risk of hearth disease. I think the argument was that you kill some of the bacteria that are good for you. So mouth wash is not very good. Flossing is not very good. What is next, don't brush at all? LOL
Posted by: neophyte
Date: January 11, 2019 09:30AM
"In a statement to USA TODAY on Thursday, Oral-B said it didn't find any of the substances in the study in its floss "

So if the chemicals don't come from the floss, where are they from?

Correlation does not mean causation.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: January 11, 2019 12:04PM
jdc

Huh, I thought flossing get's rid of the junk between teeth that brushing doesn't? From my own experience, if I don't floss I'll have bad breath. I have friends who don't floss (but do brush their teeth 2-3 times a day) and they still have bad breath.
Date: January 11, 2019 12:07PM
....he may be referring to floss that women wear at the beach/swimming pool......

Date: January 11, 2019 12:10PM
How do you 'wear' floss???
Date: January 11, 2019 12:11PM
.....floss is the term used for the 'thongs' that women wear......the bottoms......

Date: January 11, 2019 12:16PM
I don't understand, you need to be a little more clear with your descriptions....maybe a few pictures would help.
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 11, 2019 12:21PM
LOL, yes pics. NSFW pics.
Date: January 11, 2019 12:23PM
popcorn smiley
Re: oral examination?!.....yikes!! good oral may be giving you cancer......!!
Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 11, 2019 10:19PM
I thought we were talking about Michael Douglas again!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."
-- Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 12, 2019 10:34AM
Carnos Jax
jdc

Huh, I thought flossing get's rid of the junk between teeth that brushing doesn't? ...

It obviously DOES. In addition to breaking down the protective enamel barrier for your teeth, rotting food (yes) wedges down between teeth and gums, rotting (duh) your gums. They tell me that teeth without gums is like a day without sunshine. (Or maybe that's orange juice.)

Special treat, no extra charge: It's been shown there's a correlation between that particular type of preventable bacteria and heart disease. But if JDC wants to just skip it because it's not "a 100% causal fact," or whatever, who are we to complain he's imperceptibly yet incrementally driving up everyone's health costs over time?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 308
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018