advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Who has an Apple watch?
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: January 10, 2019 11:01PM
Actually thinking about getting one at some point, especially if the health functions get better.

So who has one, and what do you folks like or dislike about them? Does the band have to be pretty snug for some of the functions to work? I like my Swatch band to be a bit loose, not tightened as much as it could be.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2019 11:03PM by ka jowct.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Who has an Apple watch?
Posted by: davester
Date: January 10, 2019 11:28PM
A friend gave me her generation 1 after she bought a gen 3. I've used in as a heart monitor while training for bike rides but it's only marginally accurate and useful for that. I tried using it for other functions but it never seemed to be that much better than just looking at my phone. That, combined with it being ugly and bulky, made me give up on it. Although the newer versions are more functional I have zero interest in trying one out.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 10, 2019 11:46PM
3 in our house -- wife and daughter have them.

Daughter has a brand new 44mm series 4, loves the speed, screen and larger size. Wife has an older 0, and wears it very very loose -- has no problem with the heart rate or activity monitor.

They both have multiple off brand bands they switch out fairly regularly to match their daily outfits. Snap on and off.

Teenage daughter uses it for everything, texting, calling, spotify, bluetooth speaker control, activity monitor.

Wife uses her less, but a bit of a tchnophobe. She wants a new 4 too...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Me.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 11, 2019 02:59AM
I have an S2 and some original AWs, and will be getting an S4.

My only complaint is that it could be brighter outdoors.

I like that it's an extension of the 'Phone on my wrist, and my 'Phone can live in my pocket most of the time. I can answer a call or make one (via my 'Phone as this is not an S4 with cellular) get my notifications, and use GPS while driving, without every touching my 'Phone.

The bands have to be snug or the sensor loses contact with your skin. It doesn't have to be tight, but 'a bit lose' will probably lose the connection.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Michael
Date: January 11, 2019 05:18AM
My SIL has one and loves it; my daughter dislikes his because he spends too much time with it, although he doesn't mess with it unreasonably in front of us, from my perspective. My daughter refuses to get one but she also leaves her iPhone in another room pretty regularly so she doesn't respond to it immediately. She likes to be a bit more disconnected.

I came within a hair of buying a 3 at Costco a couple of days ago (38 mm is $230 and 42 mm is $260) but as I looked at the 3 vs. 4 I decided that the 4 made more sense. That puts me not in a hurry and I want to try on both sizes. My general sense is that the bigger ones are bigger than I'd like. That's one reason I'm going to look a the 4; the screen size of the smaller one (324 px x 394 px) is almost the same size at the screen size of the bigger one (312 px x 390 px) in the 3. (https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/watchos/visual-design/display-sizes/) Also, the 4 is a bit thinner than the 3; maybe that will make a difference in the way the big one feels. I'd really like to like the bigger 4!
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: January 11, 2019 05:48AM
I am on my third Apple Watch, I started with the original version, and then the series 3. For heart health monitoring I recently upgraded to the series 4.
If AFib is an issue, I encourage you to get the series 4 ASAP. I had a friend, with no previous heart problem history, have the watch alert him that he may be having an a fib issue and he should check into it. He went to urgent care, in the middle he transferred him to a hospital. He’s doing fine now, but the watch alerted him to an issue that might have gone undetected and could cause a stroke or death. The amazing part is the new ECG that is included in the series for had not been activated on his watch yet, since he had not done the recent update. The normal heart rate monitor was able to detect this, and saved further consequences.
At the hospital, and with his cardiologist back home, they go through the iPhone and go back through the entire history of his heart and were able to determine the situation incredibly. The series 4 has a much improved heart rate sensor, and, for us elderly folks, the ability to sense fall detection.
My heart rate monitor works fantastic, and I do not really wear my watch tight at all. When I workout, I do put it slightly tighter because it continually monitors your heart.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2019 05:52AM by Ken Sp..
Posted by: davemchine
Date: January 11, 2019 06:16AM
I started with the Apple Watch 0 and currently have the Apple Watch 4. I mostly use it to control music and podcasts. I love the ability to say “add whatever to to grocery list” or “remind me to do whatever”. The heart monitoring is also great as I have that issue.
Posted by: Pam
Date: January 11, 2019 06:23AM
I just replaced my watch 0 with the 4. I use it to see/respond to texts/calls rather than pull my phone out or go fetch my phone from another room. Even be aware that a call or text is coming in. I also use it to check current temp rather than use my phone. Or sunrise/sunset time. And of course check the time. I use the stopwatch function often as well. There are so many features and apps that can be used according to one's needs.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: January 11, 2019 06:43AM
I got a 3 on Black Friday. Kind of wanted one all along due to fanboi-ism, but never had a compelling use for one. I also thought they were too bulky, so waiting would eventually allow for the size to come down and there’d be some more compelling features that’d be addded in the future.

Started a cpap last summer, so my use-case ended up being sleep tracking. Unfortunately, sleep tracking on a wrist-worn device is not actually accurate in any way. Still like it as a watch, for the notifications/iPhone extension, and for a metronome I use on a regular basis. Not as bulky as I feared. Seriously considered the small one (5’11”, guy) since I don’t like the trend of dinner plate sized watches. Glad I decided on the 42.

I keep mine moderately loose, where it can occasionally slide back and forth a little depending on the conditions, and I haven’t had it disconnect yet. I think as long as there’s some skin contact, it’s fine. I suspect there’s even a slight delay in disconnecting to accommodate that.
Posted by: tortoise
Date: January 11, 2019 06:55AM
I started with a series 3 and upgraded to a series 4 for christmas present to myself. Can't say enough good about it, incredibly functional and handy especially the new 44mm face that is friendly to my aging eyesight. Love being able to leave my phone behind and still be able to make and receive calls. I was skeptical before getting one, but now I would not be without it.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 11, 2019 07:46AM
I bought a series 0 from another MRF'er. It's amazing. The sleep monitoring convinced me to change my sleep methods, and it's made a huge difference in how I feel. I'm considering upgrading to the Watch 4 for the cardiac monitoring. Now if they can just get blood sugar monitoring to work, I'd be ALL over that (diabetic).
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: January 11, 2019 07:50AM
My wife and I have them. We waited for gen 3. I actually purchased a gen 1 for my wife and the battery exploded on it. Apple replaced it under warranty. She gave it to a friend because I’d already replaced it with a gen 3 by the time the replacement came.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: January 11, 2019 09:18AM
Had S1, now S3. The S3 with included GPS means I can track skiing and biking pretty much all day with no fears of running down the phone battery. That means I am way more likely to go out and do something to close my rings.

As it turns out, its a great way to screen calls and texts when I am skiing, biking or very occasionally working. While doing a bunch of interior painting this fall I became an expert at changing the song with the tip of my nose. smiling smiley

Quite happy with the S3 and not feeling like I need to track my heart for AFib just yet, so no S4 in the future yet.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: michaelb
Date: January 11, 2019 09:28AM
I had an original SO for several years and upgrade to an S3. I like using a watch and I like getting close to a 100% of my texts when I get texted. To add a couple of additional comments to all the uses mentioned above:

1) I think ApplePay on the watch is the best feature and using applepay on the watch works better and is more obviously "right" and "the future" than any other option for electronic payments. There really should be no question that "cards" are out dated and old fashioned and will fade into the past like written checks. There may be a lot of change over the next 10 years, but doing this on the watch is the best way.
2) At least for me, the apple watch in nightstand mode is the best and most reliable and easiest to use alarm clock I have had. So that was not something I anticipated, but another old item replaced by the watch.

For your bands, you may want to look at the sports loop. that is a continuous piece of stretchy nylon that loops using Velcro. So it can be tighter and will be comfortable, but can also be any level of loose you want too.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 11, 2019 09:29AM
michaelb
For your bands, you may want to look at the sports loop. that is a continuous piece of stretchy nylon that loops using Velcro. So it can be tighter and will be comfortable, but can also be any level of loose you want too.

.....so like a divorcee......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: January 11, 2019 10:59AM
Not having worn a wrist watch for 25 years, I was reluctant to get one, but kept my eye on my gf’s.
I was sold and ordered a big v4 the moment the ekg feature went live. My health is fine, and it’s not like I pretend I live in an ER, but even if it’s not accurate enough, it gives me an indescribable peace of mind knowing that it would give me a heads up if there’s something big enough to change my way of life.
It turns out my regular activity approaches workout levels, and such realization plus the rings reports turns out to be a great motivator.
Although still skeptical, the remember to breath function seems to show up when I actually could benefit from it.
Heart rate? Movement? All real possibilities because of the constant monitoring.
My phone’s battery seems to last longer, and having Siri so close is such a treat.
I often leave my phone charging, and answer calls and texts from anywhere home, or ask Siri how’s my iPhone battery, start timers, add reminders, schedule or reschedule appointments, etc.
I’ve recently gotten into nose control of music too, and is giving a good run to asking Siri to skip the track.
Oh, to change volume while listening to music I use the buttons on the phone, ask Siri to raise, lower, or an exact percentage or number, the slider on the phone, and the crown from the watch. Guess which one is more fun.

• back to confinement
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: January 11, 2019 11:49AM
I have the original version, since replaced by Apple when I complained that the face loosened and would raise up an 1/8". I'm satisfied with the replacement, (well past the warranty when the original went south) except that the mic for the phone won't work. I can receive a call on it, but the other party cannot hear me.

I will replace with the latest and greatest when this thing starts to fail.

Overall I'm quite pleased with it, and use the heart rate, breath app, and some others quite frequently.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: January 11, 2019 12:54PM
I'm on my third watch, series 4, and love it.
I don't have anything to add from what others have already said, though.

bunny smileyCentral VA
Date: January 11, 2019 12:57PM

Posted by: abevilac
Date: January 11, 2019 01:04PM
Very happy with a series 2. Use it to keep track of activities run/walks, answer all’s when pulling out phone is a bother, read notifications, occasionally check heart rate,Siri, really almost anything. Love it.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: January 11, 2019 03:27PM
Does one have to use Siri to get the most out of it?

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Date: January 11, 2019 03:42PM
...use and abuse.......??

Posted by: rich in distress
Date: January 11, 2019 04:24PM
ka jowct
Does one have to use Siri to get the most out of it?

Not at all. Siri is like a trackball in the land of mice.

• back to confinement
Posted by: datbeme
Date: January 11, 2019 04:32PM
Sorry to tag onto this, but anyone have any issues like this? My daughter got a 3 for Christmas a year ago, and it seems to have just died. No charge or boot up. I've been trying for a week, holding both buttons for 10-20-30 seconds. Nothing. ONE time, the apple logo came on for about 3 seconds when I adjusted the magnetic charging disc a bit, but it was just that once. Have also tried multiple cables and power bricks which all work fine with my wife's 2nd gen.

Apparently there is no in store service, so the only remedy seems to be to mail it to Apple and hope for the best. I'd gladly pay the $80 for a battery replacement (but that seems odd for a year old watch). Any other repair seems to be in the price range of the 38mm at Costco.

Anything else I can try before mailing it in?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 11, 2019 07:38PM
Anything else I can try before mailing it in?

I'd call Apple and see if they can advise anything.

You could try leaving on the charger for a couple of hours and then deleting it from the 'Phone. IF that does do something, then try re-pairing it.

Otherwise, consider it dead, Jim, and send it in.

I'm quite surprised at the number of positive responses.

As I recall, there were very few positive posts early on. Yet the OG AW seems to have done well enough for a few people here.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 333
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018