advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Come on Dad... I asked you to not send email.
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 11, 2019 06:18AM
Dad needs a copy of my US passport. I scanned it and sent it to him my iMessage, mac to mac. I know iMessages are secured, or at least I hope so.

I asked him to NOT sent it to the other party by email Just walk over to the office and hand it in. he said so. I explained to him that email is not secure.

This morning I find an email to him, he printed it and scanned it to show me how it came out. To make matters worse, he sent it from Yahoo to my Gmail. It if was gmail to gmail I would be less worried, but Yahoo? come on.

Anyway, I deleted my inbox copy and he will delete his outbox email now.

Suppose a hacker gets a hold of my passport, what can they do with it?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Come on Dad... I asked you to not send email.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 11, 2019 06:29AM
....everything.....get fake IDs....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: January 11, 2019 08:49AM
Nothing.

It's routine for hotels to scan or copy your passport when you check in. Also routine for them to hold it at least overnight.

Concern about identity theft has turned into foil-hat paranoia. I have relatives who've bought shredders so no junk mail with their name and address! can ever be discovered in the garbage. These are people, of course, who still have phone books.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: January 11, 2019 09:36AM
US Passports, like US Currency have certain 'features' that will not scan or copy properly. The scanners used by DHS, TSA, etc. will catch these and the bearer will be taken to a nice waiting room for personal attention.
damn you smiley

space-time, get your dad a basic email account on Protonmail
It's free and relatively secure.

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
...word salad is not a disorder, it is a symptom...

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2019 09:41AM by MrNoBody.
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 11, 2019 09:54AM
Mr Downtown
Concern about identity theft has turned into foil-hat paranoia.

This.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: January 11, 2019 10:03AM
The number of times my credit cards have had fraudulent charges, the number of times I've been targeted by obscene phone calls specifically aimed at me, and the number of times I've had my garage broken into while in a job that left me the potential target of unsatisfied people who happened to be well trained to kill, have left me with foil hat paranoia. Everything gets shredded.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 11, 2019 10:51AM
S. Pupp
the number of times I've had my garage broken into while in a job that left me the potential target of unsatisfied people who happened to be well trained to kill, have left me with foil hat paranoia. Everything gets shredded.

If the garbage was at your home, then they probably already know where you live.
Date: January 11, 2019 10:56AM
OK, maybe foil or not, why take the risk? I realize that information is passport is probably less sensitive than say SSN card or Driver's license. But still, if I can avoid it, why not?

I talked to him, he said it was well understood to not send that document to the town hall by email, so he will go there and hand it over in person.

But he thought that email to be is OK. I should have been more specific.

And for those curious why I would need to send a copy of my US passport to a town-hall in my home town: there is a fee for each resident, I think for miscellaneous services like trash collection and so on. They recently figured out that I am still listed as a resident an that town, and told my Dad that I owe some back fees. He said I no longer live there, and they said if he can provide proof of foreign residence, they would waive those fees. Anything would work, foreign driver's license, foreign passport.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: January 11, 2019 12:24PM
But a US passport says nothing about residency; only about citizenship. There's a place in the front where you can write in your address for convenience if lost—but the instructions suggest doing it in pencil.

I presume this town-hall is in a foreign country; otherwise the town is violating the US Constitution's prohibition on a poll tax.
Date: January 11, 2019 12:49PM
yes, it is in my home country.

and it is not a tax, it is a trash fee.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 11, 2019 08:17PM
A jpg is a jpg is a jpg. I suppose one could easily develop an app that would screen for passports, etc. but that would require a lot of screening to find each passport jpg.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 12, 2019 10:43AM
space-time
OK, maybe foil or not, why take the risk? ...

Full stop, right there. Once you learn and acknowledge a risk is low, either due to probability or effected outcome, then the "why" question is not relevant to ask. (Basic risk assessment a cornerstone of any project management ... )

Let's say the likelihood of identify theft is low, but the consequences would be catastrophic (not true for all people). In that case a person would obviously feel better, and be better protected overall, if they took extra measures.

What the comments above are telling you is that the probability based on the circumstances are so low, that even a potentially catastrophic incident should not rationally be something to concern you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 348
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018