advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
rewind?!.....TiVo launching Apple TV app....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 11, 2019 07:14AM
......later this year....

TiVo to Launch Apple TV App Later This Year

....TiVo is planning to launch apps for Apple TV, Roku, and Fire TV later this year, reports Zatz Not Funny via The Verge. The apps will let people watch live or recorded video on multiple TVs without the need to purchase a TiVo Mini.

The TiVo Mini boxes are priced at $179.99 and are typically needed to extend TiVo DVR content to additional televisions in the home.

TiVo is a DVR service for recording live programming to watch at a later time, and it is equipped with a number of features like online recording options, playback while a show is still being recorded, scheduled recordings, and more. It also integrates with several services, including Amazon Video on Demand and Netflix.

The company recently introduced its latest product, the TiVo BOLT OTA which includes an antenna for cord cutters. The BOLT OTA costs $250 for 1TB of storage, which can hold 150 hours of HD content. TiVo charges a $6.99 monthly fee for the BOLT OTA, but the additional apps will be free with no other costs associated.

The apps are said to be coming in the second and third quarter of 2019, with TiVo to launch an app for Fire TV first, followed by Roku, and then Apple TV.

coming soon.............?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2019 12:35PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: rewind?!.....Apple TV app coming to TiVo....
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 11, 2019 08:19AM
To me it seems the Subject line is backwards. I thought Apple TV App is coming to TiVo Hardware. But not, it is the other way around. TiVo App is coming to Apple TV Hardware (and Roku and FireTV Hardware).
Posted by: Gareth
Date: January 11, 2019 11:03AM
space-time
To me it seems the Subject line is backwards. I thought Apple TV App is coming to TiVo Hardware. But not, it is the other way around. TiVo App is coming to Apple TV Hardware (and Roku and FireTV Hardware).

Yup, because I shudder to think how slowly an Apple TV app would run on a TiVo... I already have to wait way to long to launch the Netflix or Amazon Prime apps on the TiVo. It's faster to switch to the Roku and launch the desired app than to wait for the TiVo. For the price of the TiVo, I've always thought, I'd totally pay an extra $50 if they just stuck a Roku inside of it to handle the apps.

But anyway, looking forward to the TiVo app on Apple TV and such.
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 11, 2019 12:20PM
Yes, Apps on my Tivo (2015 model) are very slow to start. but once they load, they seem to run OK-ish. I have only 3 HDMI ports and sometimes I start the Amazon App on Tivo rather than switch to Roku or rather than update my Apple TV OS to 12 (I am on 10).
Re: rewind?!.....TiVo launching Apple TV app....
Posted by: Forrest
Date: January 11, 2019 04:06PM
Apps take awhile to launch on a Tivo, because the Tivo is typically recording 2-6 programs (depending on model) ALL the time. By comparison, the Roku, AppleTV, etc. is not recording any shows in the background.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 300
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018