PSA: Arcade1Up dropping to $100 at a few Walmarts
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: January 11, 2019 11:26AM
Referencing old thread: [forums.macresource.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: PSA: Arcade1Up dropping to $100 at a few Walmarts
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: January 11, 2019 12:55PM
Any idea where? Not showing up in my area.
Date: January 11, 2019 12:57PM
A store about an hour from me, in Russellville, Arkansas has it at that price. Are you in Atlanta Will?
Date: January 11, 2019 01:01PM
Carnos Jax
A store about an hour from me, in Russellville, Arkansas has it at that price. Are you in Atlanta Will?

Yes I am, and I see that Russellville store on Brickseek. Sure enough, $99. Be interesting if that price gets carried out everywhere. Definitely worth it at that price!
Date: January 11, 2019 01:04PM
Yeah, they have the Galaga and Pacman machines at $99. Not seeing any near you. Hopefully this is a sign of a pending price drop.
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 11, 2019 01:05PM
don't you get bored after you play these games 5 times?
Date: January 11, 2019 01:05PM
Looks like just the Walmart-specific Galaga and Pac-Man cabs are at $99. The others are $199.
Date: January 11, 2019 01:06PM
space-time
don't you get bored after you play these games 5 times?
As-is, yes. But they're ready-made mod platforms to add whatever classic games you want. I'm in the middle of modding an Asteroids version.
Date: January 11, 2019 01:08PM
Carnos Jax
Yeah, they have the Galaga and Pacman machines at $99. Not seeing any near you. Hopefully this is a sign of a pending price drop.

They are definitely not selling in my area. Marked down to $265 for several weeks now, and there are still 25+ stacked up on the floor of my nearest store. I think they way overestimated the appeal... but for $99, different story.
Date: January 11, 2019 01:11PM
I also wonder if the fact that the buyer has to 'assemble' the machine has anything to do with it (though I'm sure it's probably very easy to assemble).
Date: January 11, 2019 01:16PM
Carnos Jax
I also wonder if the fact that the buyer has to 'assemble' the machine has anything to do with it (though I'm sure it's probably very easy to assemble).

No, not that much to it. But they used cheap controller parts (I have a box full of old ones, so no big deal for me), and I am morally sure they had a design requirement that the box has to fit in a standard car, so they're only 4' tall. Way too short for an adult, but if you add the ($40) "riser," they're about the same size as an 80's Atari cabaret. No doubt that's a turn-off as well.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 11, 2019 02:19PM
.....Arcade......Fire.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: DavidS
Date: January 11, 2019 03:05PM
How do you check price/location?
Date: January 11, 2019 03:12PM
Use an inventory checking site like BrickSeek. Here are the links for the two models I'm seeing discounted currently (just plug in your zip code):

Pacman: [brickseek.com]

Galaga: [brickseek.com]

If you do find any at a reduced price, and want to go purchase them, remember don't mention BrickSeek (some Walmart employees aren't too fond of those sites...though Walmart itself doesn't care).
Date: January 11, 2019 03:23PM
Here are some other stores that have it for $100:

Walmart Supercenter #1900
385 N Overland Ave
Burley ID 83318

Walmart Supercenter #2417
1850 Anderson Rd
Petoskey MI 49770
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: January 11, 2019 04:06PM
Will Collier
Carnos Jax

No, not that much to it. But they used cheap controller parts (I have a box full of old ones, so no big deal for me), and I am morally sure they had a design requirement that the box has to fit in a standard car, so they're only 4' tall. Way too short for an adult, but if you add the ($40) "riser," they're about the same size as an 80's Atari cabaret. No doubt that's a turn-off as well.

Duh. And I mean that directed at me only. I was wondering why in the hell they were so small when they were already way bigger than they *needed* to be. Just go all the way and make it full size! Of course: it needs to fit in a car.

I'm going home now…
Date: January 11, 2019 04:33PM
Carnos Jax
Use an inventory checking site like BrickSeek. Here are the links for the two models I'm seeing discounted currently (just plug in your zip code):

If you do find any at a reduced price, and want to go purchase them, remember don't mention BrickSeek (some Walmart employees aren't too fond of those sites...though Walmart itself doesn't care).

$299 here.

I am curious what can employees do if they don't like Brickseek.

Also how does Brickseek get this data? is this a crowdsourced things like GasBuddy (I don't think so), or they have a way to tap into Walmart (and other stores) databases?
Date: January 11, 2019 05:04PM
space-time
Carnos Jax

$299 here.

I am curious what can employees do if they don't like Brickseek.

Also how does Brickseek get this data? is this a crowdsourced things like GasBuddy (I don't think so), or they have a way to tap into Walmart (and other stores) databases?

Pretty sure they are hitting the retailer's DB.
Date: January 11, 2019 05:08PM
Nothing they can do when it's out on the floor, but if it's in the back, they can just make excuses like saying they can't find it.

I believe the data is publicly available through Walmart's open APIs, and BrickSeek just taps into it.
Date: January 11, 2019 05:35PM
Carnos Jax
Nothing they can do when it's out on the floor, but if it's in the back, they can just make excuses like saying they can't find it.

I believe the data is publicly available through Walmart's open APIs, and BrickSeek just taps into it.

1-I see, thanks.

2-Why would a company expose their internal data to the public like this (open APIs?). I would imagine that internal stock and prices are a company's proprietary info. sure, you can go in each store an check prices, but that takes time. And you cannot easily check stock since some stock may be in the back. But to expose all your prices and stocks with open APIs seems counter-intuitive at the first glance, unless they have something to gain out of this.
Date: January 11, 2019 06:09PM
Not sure, I would guess for the same reason that the 'public' would have to have access to the data (for example when checking prices using the website).
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 11, 2019 07:09PM
.....but it doesn't take any quarters.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: January 11, 2019 07:40PM
Carnos Jax
Here are some other stores that have it for $100:

Walmart Supercenter #1900
385 N Overland Ave
Burley ID 83318

Walmart Supercenter #2417
1850 Anderson Rd
Petoskey MI 49770

How'd you locate those stores? I never had much luck casting around on Brickseek.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: January 11, 2019 08:46PM
All $299 in NorCal and Nevada....

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 318
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018