advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
It was an accountant that nailed Capone, but it's El Chapo's I.T. guy that brought him down
Posted by: hal
Date: January 11, 2019 01:02PM
El Chapo Trial: Why His I.T. Guy Had a Nervous Breakdown

And so in 2008, the ambitious, young techie visited Mr. Guzmán at one of his hide-outs deep in the Sierra Madre mountains, inspecting the kingpin’s communications system and his shoddy internet setup, which often broke down when it rained. In several follow-up meetings, Mr. Rodriguez testified this week, he pitched Mr. Guzmán on an elaborate plan to enhance his information security, offering to build him a private phone network that ran on the internet and was totally encrypted.

That sophisticated system was, within three years, used against Mr. Guzmán after Mr. Rodriguez became ensnared in an F.B.I. sting operation and was then persuaded to become an informant. The I.T. expert helped the American authorities secretly collect a vast trove of the kingpin’s phone calls and text messages — among them, dozens he had sent to his wife and mistresses. In two days of testimony that ended on Thursday, Mr. Rodriguez told this riveting story to great — and damaging — effect at Mr. Guzmán’s drug conspiracy trial in Federal District Court in Brooklyn.

Mr. Rodriguez’s account was a kind of 21st-century cautionary tale. The moral? Always treat your I.T. people well. It was also a high-tech spy thriller in which federal agents were able to leverage Mr. Guzmán’s obsession with espionage against him.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: It was an accountant that nailed Capone, but it's El Chapo's I.T. guy that brought him down
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 11, 2019 01:43PM
"dozens he had sent to his wife and mistresses"

Well, if the Feds can't nail him, he'll have bigger problems to deal with.
Re: It was an accountant that nailed Capone, but it's El Chapo's I.T. guy that brought him down
Posted by: freeradical
Date: January 11, 2019 02:33PM
Emma Coronel Aispuro has nice lips. Very nice lips...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 306
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018