advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Coffee substitute
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 16, 2019 06:39PM
OK so I changed my coffee drinking habits and things got much worse.

I used to drink 3 normal coffee per day (I mean filter brewed coffee, black, no sugar no milk).

Last week I trimmed that down to one in t he morning and my intestinal noises were reduced. In the weekend I had 2 coffee and noises came back.

yesterday and today I had my normal filter brewed coffee at home and expresso later at work. Things got worse, much worse. I think expresso is even worse than coffee for me.

So what do I do? cutting caffeine all of a sudden is hard. Would taking Excedrine (which has caffeine as an active ingredient) help?

What messes up with your digestion, is it something in the coffee other than caffeine, or is the caffeine itself?

I guess I could take Excedrine and see how that works, or drink decaf and see if my stomach still complains and I still suffer the withdrawal syndrome.

or I should try some caffeine pills like these?

[www.amazon.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Coffee substitute
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: January 16, 2019 06:48PM
Try drinking tea or something like 5 Hour Energy.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 16, 2019 07:06PM
Or a coke.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: January 16, 2019 07:09PM
jdc
Or a coke.

no way. No soda for me. regular soda has sugar, diet soda has chemicals. No thanks.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: January 16, 2019 07:15PM
space-time, when you drink coffee are you eating anything solid with it?
I found if I have a bagel, toast, or something similar with my coffee I have little
or no GI 'discomfort' at all. ymmv of course!
smileys with beer

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: Ammo
Date: January 16, 2019 07:39PM
I wonder if you would tolerate a cup of black tea better.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2019 07:40PM by Ammo.
Posted by: rz
Date: January 16, 2019 07:51PM
yeah, try black tea. My wife drinks iced black tea, no sweetener. I love iced tea, but I do put a little sweetener in it. Cannot stand the sickeningly sweet "Sweet Tea" that's so popular down here.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: January 16, 2019 07:56PM
Cold brew coffee is less acidic, or so they claim.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 16, 2019 08:04PM
Try different coffee. Fwiw, espresso is usually less acidic and.has.less.caffeine
Posted by: samintx
Date: January 16, 2019 08:28PM
Too bad Postum was dropped. Vermont country store has carried it. They are on line. 3 flavors available

[www.vermontcountrystore.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2019 08:31PM by samintx.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: January 16, 2019 08:32PM
It is an "instant coffee, but..."Kava acid-reduced coffee

"Kava coffee is a full-flavored Reduced Acid Instant coffee that has at least 50% less acid per cup than other leading instant coffee brands."
Posted by: ScottG
Date: January 16, 2019 09:06PM
For no good reason that I can think of, and I've wasted several people's time wondering about it, I went from black coffee to coffee with just a bit of milk- and found that the stomach issues that I was dealing with (just bad acid stomach, heartburn) went away. I was (and do) drink quite a lot more than three cups of coffee a day though.

cheers
scott
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: January 16, 2019 09:45PM
My wife can't tolerate coffee, but she takes a caffeine pill in the morning (No Doze—used to take that in college), and finds it an acceptable substitute. My tummy can't take black coffee, but with sugar and milk I"m OK. Tea generally has only about a third the caffeine of an equivalent amount of coffee, and cola even less.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 16, 2019 09:49PM
.....matcha tea.....I believe high in caffeine......high in anti-oxidants.......you have to blend it....put some sugar or sugar substitute.......you can blend into shake or frap....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2019 10:48PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 16, 2019 10:48PM
what you're describing sounds more like a reaction to the acid level.
different brew methods produce different concentrations of acid etc in coffee.
the quality of the coffee, brew time, blah, blah, blah.

I've found that French press and cold brew are my friends if I'm drinking black, which is most of the time. Friends are roasters, so the beans I get are very fresh. Medium roast 99%.

Espresso seems to be tough on me without something carbo with it.
So mostly, I drink capp instead of straight espresso.

I just spent a week without my regular Joe. Instead I had Keurig - Starbucks, Gevalia and Bustelo. All needed a tbsp of h&h and a 1/2 tsp sugar to avoid have stomach issues. Nasty stuff the Keurig turns out.

YMMD, but experiment.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: January 17, 2019 12:22AM
space-time
Last week I trimmed that down to one in t he morning and my intestinal noises were reduced. In the weekend I had 2 coffee and noises came back…So what do I do? cutting caffeine all of a sudden is hard.

Congratulations on finding the cause of your borborygmus!

Yes, quitting coffee will cause you to feel thick, sluggish, and headache-y for a few days. I suggest switching to tea, especially green or black tea.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 17, 2019 12:38AM
Caffeine rebound headaches, I once had it so bad I checked into urgent care for six hours, then I realized what was the cause. I can drink up to about 26 oz/750 ml of real coffee once every three days and not have a problem. If I drink that much two days in a row and stop, I get the headache.

I think the best way is to slowly taper off. Starting from your normal volume, and cut 20% (a liter to 800 ml) for three days, and repeat until you get to an acceptable amount.

There are some processed coffee drinks that are reduced acid and caffeine if you enjoy too much to stop completely. For a replacement, try a tea sampler to see what you like and your stomach will tolerate. There really isn't much else that can replace the effects of caffeine without much worse side effects.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: January 17, 2019 08:08AM
I've gone from being a soda addict to drinking mostly water and a couple cups of hot tea a day. I've become quite a fan of decent black teas. Try a cup of Earl Grey. If you LIKE the harsh bitterness of coffee, try Yorkshire tea.
There are about a gazillion teas to try... my only advice is; don't get tea in tea bags. Get loose leaf tea and your own disposable filter bags, or a french press, or an infuser. Loose leaf teas are higher quality, better flavor, and leech less bitterness.

I wish you luck replacing your coffee habit! I know how hard it was to kick soda (I STILL put too much sugar in my tea... but I'm improving).

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: January 17, 2019 08:18AM
Thats so weird. I used to drink coffee with all the fixin's. And almost always my stomach got upset. For years, I always assumed it was the caffeine. A few years ago i switched to an intermittent fasting eating lifestyle. A main ingredient of that was BLACK coffee. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to do it b/c of my reaction to coffee. Let alone black coffee. AND you had to drink a good bit of it. Lo and behold I made myself start to drink it and I suddenly had no GI distress after doing so. Basically just saying that all that time i drank coffee it was something OTHER than the caffeine that upset my stomach. Milk, sugar, creme, sweetener? Who knows. All I know now is that I drink super caffeinated DeathWish coffee and it has no effect on me at all. No GI effects anyway.

Date: January 17, 2019 08:28AM
I drink Black Coffee. That seems to upset my stomach now. This morning I added milk, it was disgusting but I am curious if it helps.
Date: January 17, 2019 08:31AM
bazookaman
Basically just saying that all that time i drank coffee it was something OTHER than the caffeine that upset my stomach. Milk, sugar, creme, sweetener? Who knows. All I know now is that I drink super caffeinated DeathWish coffee and it has no effect on me at all. No GI effects anyway.

Lactose intolerant perhaps?
Date: January 17, 2019 08:47AM
....milk should reduce the 'acidity' but i'm guessing.....

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 17, 2019 09:03AM
space-time
I drink Black Coffee. That seems to upset my stomach now. This morning I added milk, it was disgusting but I am curious if it helps.

I find cold milk added to hot coffee disgusting, also. But heated coffee is very good. But I only drink espresso or very strong coffee.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: January 17, 2019 09:38AM
DeusxMac
bazookaman
Basically just saying that all that time i drank coffee it was something OTHER than the caffeine that upset my stomach. Milk, sugar, creme, sweetener? Who knows. All I know now is that I drink super caffeinated DeathWish coffee and it has no effect on me at all. No GI effects anyway.

Lactose intolerant perhaps?

Not that i know of.

Posted by: flightdelayedagain
Date: January 17, 2019 09:38AM
I'm a fan of 5-hour ENERGY and keep one in my car at all times. I never drink more than half the bottle at one time. I love a good cup of coffee but at my age, too many restroom breaks. I pulled this from their website:

5-hour ENERGY® shots contain a propriety blend of ingredients like B-vitamins, amino acids and nutrients – all with zero sugar, zero herbal stimulants and four calories. Regular Strength 5-hour ENERGY® shots contain about as much caffeine as a cup of the leading premium coffee. Extra Strength flavors contain about as much as 12 ounces of the leading premium coffee.

[5hourenergy.com]
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: January 17, 2019 10:41AM
flightdelayedagain
I'm a fan of 5-hour ENERGY and keep one in my car at all times. I never drink more than half the bottle at one time. I love a good cup of coffee but at my age, too many restroom breaks. I pulled this from their website:

5-hour ENERGY® shots contain a propriety blend of ingredients like B-vitamins, amino acids and nutrients – all with zero sugar, zero herbal stimulants and four calories. Regular Strength 5-hour ENERGY® shots contain about as much caffeine as a cup of the leading premium coffee. Extra Strength flavors contain about as much as 12 ounces of the leading premium coffee.

[5hourenergy.com]

And it tastes like it came out of the south end of a north bound farm animal...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: January 17, 2019 10:48AM
Paul F.
flightdelayedagain

[5hourenergy.com]

And it tastes like it came out of the south end of a north bound farm animal...

agree smiley barf smiley
Date: January 17, 2019 11:00AM
....what about an affair....??

Date: January 17, 2019 12:24PM
NewtonMP2100
....what about an affair....??

Are you posting in the wrong thread???
Date: January 18, 2019 08:39AM
.....matcha tea has more caffeine than coffee.....it has health benefits....antioxidants.....

Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 18, 2019 08:42AM
" And it tastes like it came out of the south end of a north bound farm animal..."

new to me. heh, heh, heh

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Date: January 18, 2019 11:12PM
.....try cold brew......might be less harsh.......more mellow......

Posted by: Winston
Date: January 18, 2019 11:21PM
Try coffee & chicory?

Growing up in New Orleans, I started out drinking coffee with chicory. The chicory does a lot to reduce the acid. I like it a lot, but it may or may not appeal to you.

Many grocery stores I've been to around the country carry at least a can of Community or French Market brand coffee with chicory. I prefer darker roasts, which can be a bit harder to find. Luzianne or CDM are other brands you might run across.

I'd guess that there are also some specialty coffee shops which offer chicory as a blend-your-own option.

Might want to try it.

The New Orleans coffee companies sometimes have language on coffee & chicory packages that suggest using less than the normal amount as compared to regular coffee. I don't do this, but you could experiment.

Also, I find that coffee and chicory particularly benefits from milk that's been warmed in a microwave.* It also makes a really good iced coffee.

If you've ever had café au lait at the Café du Monde in the New Orleans French Quarter, you've had coffee & chicory with warmed milk.

Good luck.

- Winston

* Warming milk seems to sweeten it slightly. It's very different than adding cold milk to hot coffee. You could compare it to adding cold milk to an espresso, vs. having a latte.

------------------------
Be seeing you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2019 11:24PM by Winston.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 189
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020