Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Another decent weather site has been killed dead
Posted by: freeradical
Date: January 17, 2019 04:16PM
Years ago, I used to use Weather Underground...until they just got too sucky

I have been using Intellicast for a few years, but now it redirects to Weather Underground.

angry villagers smiley
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Another decent weather site has been killed dead
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: January 17, 2019 04:50PM
Being a Sac guy, check out Daniel Swain at weatherwest.com Unfortunately Daniel has gotten very busy and makes posts infrequently. However there is a very active community of knowledgable people that unofficially add commentary on each post, on a minute by minute basis, about California weather.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2019 06:41PM by Markintosh.
Posted by: DP
Date: January 17, 2019 05:25PM
I don't remember who bought who first but I think it was the Weather Channel acquired WU first, then NBC bought TWC. I don't watch TWC any more.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 17, 2019 05:26PM
....Stormy......Weather.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: stephen
Date: January 17, 2019 05:32PM
Follow Larry Cosgrove on Facebook. Great information when he still posts, although he is getting older.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 17, 2019 05:35PM
There seems to be a continuing and ongoing consolidation of weather sites, even on the NOAA site itself.

My default Android lock screen used to have reliable current weather temps. Now I have to log in and start a weather app for a truly current number. tongue sticking out smiley

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: hal
Date: January 17, 2019 05:37PM
Pretty soon the last weather site will get rolled into AARP's site :-)
Posted by: DP
Date: January 17, 2019 05:53PM
hal
Pretty soon the last weather site will get rolled into AARP's site :-)

thumbs up

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: blooz
Date: January 17, 2019 09:39PM
In western MA we have "Dave Hayes the weather nut" who has pretty good weather reports and predictions. Also explanations.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: Finney
Date: January 17, 2019 11:12PM
Markintosh
Being a Sac guy, check out Daniel Swain at weatherwest.com Unfortunately Daniel has gotten very busy and makes posts infrequently. However there is a very active community of knowledgable people that unofficially add commentary on each post, on a minute by minute basis, about California weather.

Living in San Jose for the last ten years, I've loved reading his posts on Weather West. I read his posts on Twitter now, as well: [twitter.com]

-Finney
Posted by: Drew
Date: January 18, 2019 05:26AM
Believe it or not, best weather app and website in Japan is Yahoo.

Here, Yahoo is quite popular and doing well. I think that there is no longer a close relationship with American Yahoo.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: January 18, 2019 05:41AM
WSI (Weather Services International) was the original company that created The Weather Channel. In 2016 The Weather Channel split, WSI being acquired by IBM, while The Weather Channel (the broadcast part) was kept by the NBC consortium (NBC/Bain/Blackstone). IBM renamed WSI to The Weather Company. In 2018, NBC and associates sold the Weather Channel to Byron Allen.

So.. IBM's The Weather Company is comprised of Weather.com, Weather Underground, and Intellicast. IBM owns the trademark for The Weather Channel, but licenses it to Entertainment Studios (Byron Allen's company).

So, basically we have only two major weather services left - TWC and Accuweather. (Weather Bug is a distant third, now owned by an ad insertion company).
Posted by: robfilms
Date: January 18, 2019 07:19AM
and all the weather channel stuff is most often repackaged info directly from...

...the united states department of agriculture's little old data collection and forecasting service under the auspices of noaa.

the us weather service has been the backbone of weather data collection, researching and forecasting since the turn of the 1900s.

there would be NO accuweather or weather underground or the weather channel without the united states government.

weather is truly an example of taxpayer dollars at work.

thank you for paying your taxes!

thumbs up.

rob
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: January 18, 2019 08:45AM
I've been using Intellicast for years. Recently it stopped working on Safari—why? It still works on Firefox, and is still fairly straightforward, without a lot of junk; hourly and daily forecasts are what I want.

The National Weather Service site is dated but clear:

[www.weather.gov]

For commercial forecasting (for business, organizations, and weather hobbyists), WeatherBell.com offers subscriptions. Intellicast and NWS are free.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Date: January 18, 2019 09:13AM
....it's kill......or be killed.....

Posted by: mrlynn
Date: January 18, 2019 11:16AM
freeradical
Years ago, I used to use Weather Underground...until they just got too sucky

I have been using Intellicast for a few years, but now it redirects to Weather Underground.

angry villagers smiley

Aaagh! I didn't read closely enough. You're right; I just went to Intellicast, and up pops WU!

And then up pops scam 'Update Flash' crap that I can't get out of.

No 10-day descriptive forecast, either, which Intellicast had. So now IC is defunct?

/Mr Lynn

UPDATE: NWS has descriptive 10-day forecasts. From now on, that's where I'm going.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2019 11:23AM by mrlynn.
Posted by: Buck
Date: January 18, 2019 11:21AM
Weather Underground is a terrorist group

[www.fbi.gov]
Posted by: Acer
Date: January 18, 2019 11:28AM
Was.
Date: January 18, 2019 11:33AM
Intellicast had useful maps, you could see maps projecting the weather for 12, 24, 36, 48 hours out.
Date: January 18, 2019 12:35PM
..........weather you're right, weather you're wrong
Girl of my heart, I'll string along............

Posted by: Winston
Date: January 18, 2019 11:02PM
Surprised no one has mentioned Dark Sky. They apparently have quite a reputation for accurate short-term forecasts, practically block by block.

[darksky.net]

I've liked the iOS app.

Sam3
WSI (Weather Services International) was the original company that created The Weather Channel.

Not quite.

The Weather Channel was owned from its founding in 1980 until 2008 by Landmark Communications. TWC broadcasting started in 1982, and moved fully to Atlanta in 2002. A friend of mine used to work for The Weather Channel in Atlanta, before he was transferred to the then parent company, Landmark, in Norfolk, VA.

[en.wikipedia.org]
The Weather Channel was founded on July 18, 1980, by television meteorologist John Coleman (who, at the time of the channel's founding, had formerly served as a chief meteorologist at ABC owned-and-operated station WLS-TV in Chicago and as a forecaster for Good Morning America) and Frank Batten, then-president of the channel's original owner Landmark Communications"

"Originally, regional and local information was obtained by the National Weather Service for broadcast. Since 2002, all forecasting has been done on-site in Atlanta."

Landmark then sold it to an investor group in 2008:
"On July 6, 2008, NBC Universal, Bain Capital and Blackstone Group agreed to jointly purchase The Weather Channel from Landmark ... The sale was finalized on September 12, 2008."

"Later in 2012, The Weather Channel's holding company changed its name from The Weather Channel Companies to The Weather Company. The company also purchased competing weather service and website Weather Underground the same year. "

"On October 28, 2015, it was announced that IBM would acquire most of The Weather Company's assets, including weather.com, Weather Underground, the related mobile applications, and their underlying data platforms . . ."

"On March 22, 2018, Byron Allen's Entertainment Studios announced its intent to acquire The Weather Channel's television assets from the NBCUniversal/Bain/Blackstone partnership."

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: January 19, 2019 08:32AM
It’s a convoluted history, but you are correct, Landmark Communications started TWC. I was using the Google listing: “The Weather Company, an IBM Business, formerly WSI, provides the world's leading technology platforms and services leveraging weather and related data.”

WSI handled the weather data backend; systems hardware, software, support. IBM renamed them to TWC after they acquired WSI.

Getting back to the O.P., Weather Underground has more info on the merger, Intellicast the name/brand is going away: [www.wunderground.com]
Posted by: Acer
Date: January 19, 2019 09:01AM
Byron Allen?

You mean....oh, yup...THAT Byron Allen.

Posted by: sunfalcon
Date: January 19, 2019 09:34AM
I use the Dark Sky app and it works great. Gives me up to the minute info on incoming precipitation, etc. It's worth checking out.
Date: January 19, 2019 09:52AM
Acer
Byron Allen?

You mean....oh, yup...THAT Byron Allen.

....yup, his company is doing really well.....he is like super rich.....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 357
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018