advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Odd thing on Google maps
Posted by: lost in space
Date: January 21, 2019 08:56AM
Satellite views are different between Safari and Chrome. I was looking at Paradise, CA in sat view with Safari, and it shows destruction of the town from the Camp Fire. On Chrome, there's no sign of the fire. What gives?

edit:

Hadn't finished my first cup of coffee. It's the other way around. Safari shows it before the fire, Chrome after.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2019 09:32AM by lost in space.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Odd thing on Google maps
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: January 21, 2019 09:20AM
Using the Google Maps App on my ipad, in sat view it shows nice green trees.

Asheville, NC Area
Date: January 21, 2019 09:37AM
Looking at Santa Rosa CA, it's the other way around. Around Coffey Park, Safari shows the neigborhood leveled, Chrome has it intact. Weird.

Posted by: GGD
Date: January 21, 2019 09:41AM
Are they at the same zoom level? With satellite views i've seen the images change as you zoom in and out. I think some might be from satellites and others from aircraft. And also taken at different times so things appear and disappear as you zoom.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2019 09:41AM by GGD.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 21, 2019 09:58AM
Actually most of the satellite views used for the online maps are done from aircraft mapping surveys. What you will see will depend on when last they updated the images for an area.

P.S. As an example, I can look at the sat view in Apple's Maps for the university campus where I work and approximately date the time the pictures were from. They are from about 2 years ago in the summer, construction vehicles show around a building under construction that opened in 2017.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2019 10:06AM by JoeH.
Date: January 21, 2019 10:56AM
GGD
Are they at the same zoom level? With satellite views i've seen the images change as you zoom in and out. I think some might be from satellites and others from aircraft. And also taken at different times so things appear and disappear as you zoom.

Same zoom. Same result with any zoom level. They're different even when I copy the URL from one browser to the other.

JoeH
Actually most of the satellite views used for the online maps are done from aircraft mapping surveys. What you will see will depend on when last they updated the images for an area.

P.S. As an example, I can look at the sat view in Apple's Maps for the university campus where I work and approximately date the time the pictures were from. They are from about 2 years ago in the summer, construction vehicles show around a building under construction that opened in 2017.

That's obvious. What's happening here is that the content in sat view is different between Safari and Chrome. Same URL, different points in time shown. One has an area destroyed by fire, the other has no damage.

Try this URL in Safari and Chrome. Maybe it's just me?

Coffey Park, Santa Rosa CA

Posted by: jardster
Date: January 21, 2019 11:03AM
I tried the link in both browsers and saw the same thing... no fire damage.

lost in space
GGD

Same zoom. Same result with any zoom level. They're different even when I copy the URL from one browser to the other.

JoeH

That's obvious. What's happening here is that the content in sat view is different between Safari and Chrome. Same URL, different points in time shown. One has an area destroyed by fire, the other has no damage.

Try this URL in Safari and Chrome. Maybe it's just me?

Coffey Park, Santa Rosa CA

Posted by: davester
Date: January 21, 2019 11:13AM
The images might be cached on your browser from an earlier viewing of the same area.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 21, 2019 11:29AM
My views are opposite of the OP's

Safari - Burned
Chrome - Built

Anyone got Firefox to see what it shows?

As an aside, I can't help but wonder how those three homes on Dennis Lane (at Bluegrass intersection) survived unscathed.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: January 21, 2019 11:31AM
Same for me in both browsers: just bare dirt lots for the entire neighborhood.

That's stunning in itself. How did all those property owners get debris cleared away so rapidly?
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: January 21, 2019 12:07PM
Well, those images aren’t all public domain. Both Apple and Google buy and commission aircraft photo. There is more data to be had -- not just in resolution but from examining parallax of objects in different photos they can calculate stuff like building height. And when I say “they,” I mean algorithms that do the heavy lifting of turning your local city hall into a 3d rendered building with very little human assistance. So you can imagine they most certainly do not want to share those photos with their competitors. After some sort of disaster, you can bet they want their map to be the one everybody uses to see the aftermath.

>>That's stunning in itself. How did all those property owners get debris cleared away so rapidly?

Our city lost 500+ homes in the Thomas Fire. It is stunning. It’s the state government. California wants those lots cleared ASAP because they’re potentially toxic. They have crews from the department of toxic substances control who come in, do an assessment, tag and remove the toxic stuff by hand (asbestos fire logs, melted cans of used motor oil, whatever). Then CalRecycle comes, clears the lot, scrapes it down. They don’t try to save the foundation because even if it looks okay, the concrete will have been weakened by the extreme heat. Here in Ventura, you could just sit on Foothill Road and watch as truck after truck after truck drove by, hauling all that crap to Lord knows where. Hundreds of workers, dozens of trucks. (And the state is even giving us money to repair the damage all that heavy truck traffic did to Foothill Road.)

Everybody is automatically eligible up for the service, though they can opt out. It costs whatever amount your insurance policy covers for lot cleaning and debris removal, whether it’s $1000 or $20,000, so no out of pocket to the homeowner. If you have no insurance that covers it, it still doesn’t cost anything. The state just wants it done as quickly as possible.

There were some people who opted out, though. There’s always some people who love that Reagan joke about the nine most terrifying words in the English language. They thought it sounded too good to be true. Since then, it has been interesting hearing some of them complain bitterly that the state didn’t do more to convince them not to opt out. They thought maybe they could save their foundation or some half burnt tree or whatever by managing it themselves, and they’d end up with a $20k, $30k bill. I think they had six months to get it cleared, and there were some people who paid through the nose as the deadline approached.
Posted by: numbered
Date: January 21, 2019 12:12PM
Funny, I see houses in all three browsers.

I also still see the houses in the Google Earth app.
Posted by: Fred_Also
Date: January 21, 2019 01:55PM
In Google Earth Pro, the houses are all gone. Bare ground.

Fred
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 21, 2019 01:56PM
whatever you discovered, that's pretty cool. I wish I could see it at the moment.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 251
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018