advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Travel Smart Voltage converter for Travel Question (2)
Posted by: Microman
Date: January 24, 2019 09:43AM
I have a Travel Smart voltage changer for different countries. Comes with main heavy unit and the 5 different pin variations that one would run into when going to other countries.

When I was in China I got a burned mark and a slight expansion, and I believe it quit working. May have been on Lo when it should have been on Hi.

My question is this. I bought another used one off of eBay to replace the main unit. I would like to test it. It comes with all the adapters for using in all the countries. Even one for North America. Thats my question, why would it have a need for a North America fitting if the same fitting is what is what always comes out of the other side of the converter.

Who would use the North America Converter adapter in the USA, unless it is me testing this eBay unit I received , which I would like to do

And would it be safe to use the North America adapter and test something coming out the other end to see if it works. In my book, thats the only way to test it.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Travel Smart Voltage converter for Travel Question (2)
Posted by: davester
Date: January 24, 2019 10:08AM
I believe it has the USA male plug so that you can plug a female adapter into the back (which your version may or may not have come with) so that you can run a foreign 240V appliance off 120V.

Also note that a very large proportion of electrical devices these days are rated for both 120 and 240V and both 50 and 60 Hz so you don't actually need a bulky transformer to use them, just a simple plug adapter. I have never (well, at least not in the last 20 years) found voltage or Hz to be an issue while travelling. Just check the ratings on your devices.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2019 10:09AM by davester.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: January 24, 2019 11:09AM
davester
I believe it has the USA male plug so that you can plug a female adapter into the back (which your version may or may not have come with) so that you can run a foreign 240V appliance off 120V.

Also note that a very large proportion of electrical devices these days are rated for both 120 and 240V and both 50 and 60 Hz so you don't actually need a bulky transformer to use them, just a simple plug adapter. I have never (well, at least not in the last 20 years) found voltage or Hz to be an issue while travelling. Just check the ratings on your devices.

This. The device you linked to has a transformer to adjust voltage. It won't convert frequency. Frequency is usually only an issue with motors. Every laptop, tablet or cell phone charger that I've had over the last 15 plus years has been compatible around the world. I've only had to use adapters to change from one plug design to another.
Posted by: dk62
Date: January 24, 2019 01:09PM
The only reason I use voltage converters nowadays is to use region 2/B BD player in the US and region 1/A player in my place in Europe. Cheaper than universal players. Some DVD/BD players can work on dual voltage, but they are not common.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 105
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018