advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Wife needs a new phone
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: January 24, 2019 02:46PM
She doesn't need the latest iPhone, but probably iPhone 7 or newer. At least 64GB of storage. Anyone know of any good deals? Apple refurbs lists $470 for a 128GB refurb iPhone 7.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Wife needs a new phone
Posted by: raz
Date: January 24, 2019 03:28PM
FWIW, I think wireless charging makes the upgrade to an 8 worthwhile.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 24, 2019 03:36PM
She's your wife, isn't she worth a XS Plus? winking smiley

Posted by: Markintosh
Date: January 24, 2019 03:45PM
The Xr feels much more like new technology to me. Face ID is so much better for minute to minute use than fingerprint. The camera produces stunning photos and the price is considerably less than the other X models.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: MEG
Date: January 24, 2019 04:20PM
I know AT&T is perpetually offering a buy 1 get 1 deal (and I imagine the other carriers have similar deals). You can get 2 iPhone 8's for $600 or jump to 2 iPhone XR's for $750. If your current phone can be sold for a decent amount it could make the net for 2 phones be less than the single refurb. The small print requires you to have the "free" phone on contract for 2 years so something to consider.
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 24, 2019 05:31PM
Wireless is awesome.

I agree with the Xr comments -- they are a pretty sweet device. Way fast, awesome screen, camera, 2 day battery life, sweet kit.

She really has filled a 64 GB phone? thats a ton of data.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: January 24, 2019 05:32PM
She complains about syncing her phone with the Mac, so it never happens. It's full of photos that she'll never look at again.

jdc
Wireless is awesome.

I agree with the Xr comments -- they are a pretty sweet device. Way fast, awesome screen, camera, 2 day battery life, sweet kit.

She really has filled a 64 GB phone? thats a ton of data.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Carm
Date: January 24, 2019 05:54PM
Wife was wanting an 8, but it was only a few bucks more for the XR. Apple offered $250 for her 64 GB 6s Plus. Finally got her a 128GB iPhone XR. Wife loves it with the wireless charging.
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 24, 2019 06:52PM
ztirffritz
She complains about syncing her phone with the Mac, so it never happens. It's full of photos that she'll never look at again.
[/quote]

I dont think you are doing right...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: January 24, 2019 06:54PM
I'm wary of the 7s since one of ours fell victim to the microphone issue. Irreparable and can only make calls via bluetooth. Some say it's a software update issue, and some say it's an internal part that loses contact, but the genius seemed to agree when I declined the $319 replacement. It's only guaranteed for 90 days, and he indicated that it could easily happen to the replacement as well.
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 24, 2019 07:42PM
Wireless charging all the way.

Then take her to a store and pick out the size - the XR is a big phone and not for everyone.
Posted by: Carm
Date: January 24, 2019 07:55PM
datbeme
I'm wary of the 7s since one of ours fell victim to the microphone issue. Irreparable and can only make calls via bluetooth. Some say it's a software update issue, and some say it's an internal part that loses contact, but the genius seemed to agree when I declined the $319 replacement. It's only guaranteed for 90 days, and he indicated that it could easily happen to the replacement as well.
Two of mine fell victim to the “no service” issue. 1st was a couple of months old from Swappa, no issues until about a year after owning it. New insurance replacement got the same issue. Apple fixed second one with a logic board swap, free. Took a week, had a loaner phone.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 24, 2019 08:37PM
MEG
I know AT&T is perpetually offering a buy 1 get 1 deal (and I imagine the other carriers have similar deals). You can get 2 iPhone 8's for $600 or jump to 2 iPhone XR's for $750. If your current phone can be sold for a decent amount it could make the net for 2 phones be less than the single refurb. The small print requires you to have the "free" phone on contract for 2 years so something to consider.

I compared this against [www.consumercellular.com] - we save $40-$50/month for two phones or at least $480 a year. No contract. Double that to compare to the AT&T deal - $960 off. Ditching AT&T is a much better deal.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 217
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018