advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
They ain't what they used to be? (Macs, that is)
Posted by: TLB
Date: February 04, 2019 07:58AM
Mac mini died this weekend. Now granted, my Mac skills have diminished over the years, but the whole experience made me reflect on how un "Mac-like" things have become. First, durability...this is the third system in a row that died from hardware failure. In the G.O.D. (good old days), when I was ready to upgrade, I was generally able to sell a fairly robust, operating machine and invest that in the new acquisition. But my last 3, iMac, mini and mini all fried and were uneconomical to repair.

In past MR surveys, I've commented the mini was my last Mac and I was going to get a hackintosh or move to a Win10 machine. I lied. I picked up a 2018 mini this weekend. I thought it would be a piece of cake--grab the HD from the old machine, drop it in an external, run migration assistant and be off to the races. No such luck. Retrieving the old HD, was not terribly difficult, but it was a non-trivial exercise. Migration assistant had a bunch of errors and nothing worked when complete. After an hour or so searching, I found I had to manually repair permissions on most everything ported over. Luckily I could do most en masse through the terminal.

Now that I'm up and running, I thought I'd visit our sponsors to explore a memory upgrade. The old mini was a breeze--remove the bottom cover and voila, there are the DIMMs. So I click on the OWC install video--WTF, nearly 100% disassembly of the mini to replace the RAM.

I think this is it. I'll probably stick with iOS and the iphone, but if (a big if given all that can be done on phones and tablets) I ever get another computer, I don't think it will be a Mac. The price differential is now all for cachet, not function or ease of use. Now get off my lawn!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2019 08:45AM by TLB.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: They ain't what they used to be?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 04, 2019 08:05AM
.....They don't make 'em like they used to, those guys
And I can't get used to the way that it is today
No one to look up to, hard times and though I try
I just can't find the reason these days

And it seems like the seasons are passing me
They're going by, nothing to hold on to, rough times
And it goes on, so count on me and I'll count on you
You can lean on me, two of us stronger

We won't be alone any longer
Now and for always we will be good friends
Count on me, into any storm, we're gonna survive it
Into any fire, we'll carry on

Know that one day you and me will both be old friends
And we?ll sit on the sofa and talk about how
They don't make 'em like they used to, you'll see
As time goes on, so count on me and I'll count on you.........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Re: They ain't what they used to be? (Macs, that is)
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 04, 2019 08:49AM
It’s not too late to return the new mini and go the Hackintosh route.

It is what it is.
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 04, 2019 09:20AM
Difficult but at least you can upgrade the RAM. It is a small step forward after they did a dozen huge steps backwards in 2014.

I don’t recall, can you upgrade the SSD in 2018 mini?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 04, 2019 09:21AM
Tech is changing and you've had some terrible luck.
Date: February 04, 2019 09:34AM
space-time
Difficult but at least you can upgrade the RAM. It is a small step forward after they did a dozen huge steps backwards in 2014.

I don’t recall, can you upgrade the SSD in 2018 mini?

Don't know. OWC doesn't list a SSD upgrade, so I'm guessing no, or more hopefully, not yet.

Check that -- nope, soldered to motherboard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2019 09:42AM by TLB.
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 04, 2019 09:51AM
Does sound like a run of bad luck.

And since these *arent* the G.O.D.s anymore, realize RAM isnt everything.

You new mini with 8 GB and 3000 MB/s flash drive will run circles around your old mini -- even with 16 GB.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2019 02:01PM by jdc.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 04, 2019 10:27AM
Migration Assistant in Mojave is messed up in this respect: When migrating multiple user accounts, ownership on select folders on the second, third, etc. (502/503/504) accounts are inexplicably set incorrectly leading to messages upon login that the Library is damaged and needs repair. SIP prevents change of ownership on some of these folders, so the fix is to note each messed up folder (which you'll see in a nice error-list when you run the "chown" command on the user-library, move the contents to an identically-named folder and replace the original folder with the new folder while booted to another drive. It's a PITA, but only takes about 15m to fix... But you have to 1. Know what's wrong; 2. Know how to use the Terminal and 3. Have an external drive to boot to (or log into another user account and user the Terminal or escalate Finder to root to move the files).

The memory issue is one that I hope most users are savvy enough to have figured out: Apple has made it hard or impossible to upgrade memory in most Macs since 2012, so get as much RAM as you can when you buy it.

...And yes, this is not a "This just works" situation. Apple's lost their touch. The yearly OS release cycle is stupid and results in a lot of dumb bugs that would have been fixed if they gave the OS a proper shake-down before shipping.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2019 05:30PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: vision63
Date: February 04, 2019 11:04AM
I've given up on Migration Assistant. I just make a list of my programs, jot down their settings and do the fresh install hokey pokey. I'm sorry you've had such difficulty. It's very frustrating buy a brand new Mac and have trouble with it. Maddening.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: February 04, 2019 11:09AM
TLB,
I have to question why your Mac failure rate is so high. Do you regularly open up your Macs and blow the dust out? Are all your Macs connected to a UPS? Do you regularly update the operating system and programs?

For reference, we have a number of Macs ranging from 13 years to 2 months old and none have suffered a major failure.

Lastly, your new Mini has a T2 Security Chip and it's default setting is to DISABLE booting from an external drive. I suggest you review Apple's info link
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: February 04, 2019 11:27AM
Still lovin’ my upgradeable 2012 MBP !
smiley-music039
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: February 04, 2019 12:22PM
Forrest
I have to question why your Mac failure rate is so high. Do you regularly open up your Macs and blow the dust out?

This is very important. I have 2011 and 2012 Minis, in constant use since I bought them and one thing I do is blow the dust out regularly. This not because I set some sort of a schedule, instead I do that while doing an upgrade or swap (RAM, SSD, HDD), which happens at least once a year as I'm always messing with configurations. I'm in a dusty environment and there's always lots of buildup. In fact one of my NUCs was overheating thanks to being completely blocked up with dust (IMO the result of a design flaw) and once cleared out worked properly again.
Date: February 04, 2019 12:24PM
Forrest
TLB,
I have to question why your Mac failure rate is so high. Do you regularly open up your Macs and blow the dust out?
White iMac - no
Mac mini core duo - no (the case with like 64 plastic fingers)
Mac mini (2011 or 2012) - yes

Are all your Macs connected to a UPS? Do you regularly update the operating system and programs?
Yes and yes.

For reference, we have a number of Macs ranging from 13 years to 2 months old and none have suffered a major failure.
I've lost track of the systems I've owned from a SE/30, IIci, through the PowerMac series, G3 and G4 towers, iMacs and eMacs. The failures I've experienced on the recent systems appear fairly well documented on the 'net, so I don't think I'm unique.

Lastly, your new Mini has a T2 Security Chip and it's default setting is to DISABLE booting from an external drive. I suggest you review Apple's info link

Thanks, didn't know that.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: February 04, 2019 01:46PM
Enjoy your new Mini - hope it lasts a long time. I bought one for my wife for Christmas - it's amazing how fast the computer and SSD drive is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 112
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018