advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Help! F/U after upgrading from El Cap to HS - stuck in loop!!
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: February 07, 2019 02:08PM
Following up to earlier thread about moving my Mac Pro 5.1 from El Cap to High Sierra -- all seemed okay until the very end of the process. I'm now stuck in a loop in which the computer attempts to restart. I see the gray apple logo and progress bar for a couple of seconds, then it shuts down again, black screen, chime, apple logo, then shuts down again. I've tried starting with Command/Option/P/R with no luck. Tried starting with Command-R to get to disk utility, but of course can't repair the startup disk. Please help!! Thanks in advance.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Help! F/U after upgrading from El Cap to HS - stuck in loop!!
Posted by: hal
Date: February 07, 2019 02:16PM
The most recent 10.13 security update did some weird things to some systems, but I haven't heard of this.

I would try a safe boot and see if that clears out the problem.

A fix to a different problem might work - start up with option key depressed, select your boot drive and IF IT SEEMS to boot normally, check the updater and perhaps you'll see that the security update isn't completed - run it again.

A bit of a shot in the dark. Sarcany is the best tech around here these days - see what he has to say.
Posted by: numbered
Date: February 07, 2019 02:22PM
As Hal suggested, try Safe Boot. Restart and hold the Shift key until the logo shows up.

I had a similar problem in Sierra with an HP printer extension that would not allow the boot to complete. (I was fine in El Cap.)

But this could be a security update stalled as Hal said. Or other things to sleuth.
Date: February 07, 2019 02:38PM
Ok, thanks. Goin' in...
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: February 07, 2019 03:00PM
Is the firmware update complete?
Posted by: fauch
Date: February 07, 2019 03:06PM
Try booting into verbose mode and see if you can figure out where it is hanging...
Posted by: rz
Date: February 07, 2019 03:26PM
anonymouse1
Is the firmware update complete?

This was going to be my question.
Date: February 07, 2019 03:27PM
Here's the latest: Not able to start in Safe mode. Holding the Shift key made no difference...loop continued.

Then I tried holding Option in order to start up from the backup disk (still El Cap) in hopes of running Disk Utility on the newly updated High Sierra disk. I ran Disk Utility which found nothing amiss. I re-selected the HS disk and restarted. Back into the loop!

Restarted with Command-R. Now seeing apple logo and progress bar. Bar seems to be stuck about 3/4 the way through. Waiting.
Date: February 07, 2019 03:31PM
The progress bar is moving very, very slowly, but it's moving. Regarding the firmware: I believe it completed based on my seeing the message at the very beginning of the original install process.
Date: February 07, 2019 03:32PM
While I'm waiting for the progress bar: any advice on which option I should choose if I ever get to that point: Re-install the system?
Date: February 07, 2019 03:41PM
Oh, hells bells -- after finally starting in Recovery, I quit Disk Utility and was asked to select a boot disk. I selected, and now I see "you can't change the startup disk to the selected disk - the bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk."

Yikes!!! What now?
Date: February 07, 2019 03:48PM
Starting in Verbose mode: command lines flew by way too fast to see, then shut down
Date: February 07, 2019 04:25PM
Update: was able to get to Recovery mode at which point I chose to reinstall HS onto the drive. We'll see if that works.
Date: February 07, 2019 04:31PM
In no particular order:

Can you start from another drive?

While it's shut down, pull the plug and do an SMC reset by letting the machine sit for a while--I usually give 10 minutes, although that may not be necessary.

Are you running Boot Camp on this machine?

Have you tried pulling the drive out slightly and putting it back in, to make sure there'a a solid connection?

Are you installing the most recent version of HS?

Couple of links I quickly found:

[www.easeus.com]

Step 5 in this link:
[www.mklibrary.com]

[appletoolbox.com]
Boot into Recovery Mode, if possible (hold the keys CMD-R to start up)
Navigate to the Utilities menu at the top of the screen
Choose Terminal from the list
Enter these two commands in Terminal
cd /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/var/db/caches/opendirectory
mv ./mbr_cache ./mbr_cache-old
Exit from Terminal
Restart
This process forces your Mac to rebuild a file called mbr_cache. It’s basically the cache file for your master boot record–the file that your Mac needs to startup. Be prepared for that first reboot to be extremely slow as the cache rebuild happens.
Date: February 07, 2019 04:39PM
anonymouse1
In no particular order:

Can you start from another drive?
• Yes - from the BU drive.

While it's shut down, pull the plug and do an SMC reset by letting the machine sit for a while--I usually give 10 minutes, although that may not be necessary.
• You mean the power cord, correct? If so, I'll try that next.

Are you running Boot Camp on this machine?
• No

Have you tried pulling the drive out slightly and putting it back in, to make sure there'a a solid connection?
• No, not yet.

Are you installing the most recent version of HS?
• Not sure. I downloaded it just yesterday but that may or may not guarantee the latest.

Couple of links I quickly found:

[www.easeus.com]

Step 5 in this link:
[www.mklibrary.com]

[appletoolbox.com]
Boot into Recovery Mode, if possible (hold the keys CMD-R to start up)
Navigate to the Utilities menu at the top of the screen
Choose Terminal from the list
Enter these two commands in Terminal
cd /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/var/db/caches/opendirectory
mv ./mbr_cache ./mbr_cache-old
Exit from Terminal
Restart
This process forces your Mac to rebuild a file called mbr_cache. It’s basically the cache file for your master boot record–the file that your Mac needs to startup. Be prepared for that first reboot to be extremely slow as the cache rebuild happens.
• Will try this too. Thx!
Date: February 07, 2019 05:17PM
Update -- tried the Terminal commands without luck -- no such directory, no such file, etc. I tried it three times.

Tried to get to the "internet recovery" by starting up with command/option R, but never reached the point at which I could choose to install from the internet.

Now unplugged the power cord and will wait 10 minutes.

I'm really screwed, guys. Trying not to panic.
Date: February 07, 2019 05:21PM
Wait! What happened to the HS reinstall? That could have eliminated the directories.
Date: February 07, 2019 05:25PM
anonymouse1
Wait! What happened to the HS reinstall? That could have eliminated the directories.
The reinstall (actually, two attempts!) brought me back to the exact same place: startup loop.
Posted by: PeterW
Date: February 07, 2019 05:31PM
Enough already. Start from the backup, format the boot drive, dowload HS (10.13.6) and install it clean.
Date: February 07, 2019 06:10PM
PeterW
Enough already. Start from the backup, format the boot drive, dowload HS (10.13.6) and install it clean.

That does sound like a good idea, but the task of reinstalling all my apps and docs from scratch is beyond what I can tackle right now.
Date: February 07, 2019 06:21PM
Ok, I'm using SuperDuper to get back to where I started (pre-HS). Once that's done I'll check the firmware version and see if the firmware update actually happened when I first tried to go to HS. If not, I'll try to update the firmware manually first, then try HS install again.

Really love losing an entire day of my life on what should have been relatively painless. What happened to the good ol' Apple days?
Posted by: PeterW
Date: February 07, 2019 06:53PM
Those days are still here. In the past week, I took my 5,1 from 10.12.6 to 10.13.6 to 10.14.3 in two totally painless steps. Now, there were two firmware updates, any number of restarts and a video card swap involved in there, but everything just worked.

And there's no need to install anything from scratch. Once you get a clean working install of HS, just use Migration Asst to bring everything else over from your backup.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2019 06:55PM by PeterW.
Date: February 07, 2019 07:06PM
PeterW
Those days are still here. In the past week, I took my 5,1 from 10.12.6 to 10.13.6 to 10.14.3 in two totally painless steps. Now, there were two firmware updates, any number of restarts and a video card swap involved in there, but everything just worked.

And there's no need to install anything from scratch. Once you get a clean working install of HS, just use Migration Asst to bring everything else over from your backup.

I'm very glad for your painless experience. And it does give me a bit of hope. However, my painful experience is indeed real and ongoing at the moment.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: February 07, 2019 07:10PM
Sure you can't live with Sierra or El Cap?
Date: February 07, 2019 07:15PM
Bill in NC
Sure you can't live with Sierra or El Cap?
I may opt for that. I won't be able to run some important apps on the tower -- will have to use the MPBr for certain things like the latest version of Premier, etc. Now, I realize my ancient 5,1 was going to reach that point someday, but what pisses me off is that some people with the exact same hardware configuration managed to do what I'm trying to do. I know I can't go to Mojave without a different graphics card, but High Sierra should have been doable.

While investigating, I came across some posts about OWC SSDs being problematic with HS. I have an OWC SSD but according to their site, it shouldn't be an issue.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 08, 2019 12:33PM
....like in 'Ground Hog Day'....there is something you need to fix before the loop is broken.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: February 08, 2019 12:52PM
Which OWC SSD do you have?
Date: February 08, 2019 01:02PM
anonymouse1
Which OWC SSD do you have?
Their Mercury Electra 3G. Funny you should ask: I got off the phone with Josh from OWC about an hour ago to see if that SSD was among the ones with a High Sierra issue. He confirmed that it was not, and - like Peter W - encouraged me to suck it up and do a clean install. Which is where I am right now Install seemed to go fine and I'm in the middle of Migration Assistant. Wish me luck!
Posted by: hal
Date: February 08, 2019 05:29PM
Keep us up tp date - this is one of the nastier problems we've seen recently.
Date: February 08, 2019 07:31PM
hal
Keep us up tp date - this is one of the nastier problems we've seen recently.

Follow-up posted!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 301
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018