advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Graduation gift ideas
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 08, 2019 03:20PM
Son graduates from college in May, I'm looking for a nice gift to commemorate the occasion.

I thought about updating his Apple Watch to a 4th generation, but that is just going to last a year or two. I would like something that he can look at in 20 years and remember fondly.

Suggestions?

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Graduation gift ideas
Posted by: PeterW
Date: February 08, 2019 03:23PM
Porsche 911.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: February 08, 2019 03:28PM
Ombligo
Son graduates from college in May, I'm looking for a nice gift to commemorate the occasion.

I thought about updating his Apple Watch to a 4th generation, but that is just going to last a year or two. I would like something that he can look at in 20 years and remember fondly.

Suggestions?

Gifts that appreciate are hard to predict, except for two types: securities and practical wisdom.

You could combine these two: give him a nominal investment (equivalent to what you'd have spent on a gift) and when he starts his first full-time position, pay his fee to see a certified financial planner. This way, in twenty years when he feels financially secure, he'll remember your gift fondly.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: 3d
Date: February 08, 2019 03:33PM
Budget?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 08, 2019 03:49PM
Congraulations ! Career focused or personal ? I really only have and use one graduation gift, and that's a Parker pen. Except I replaced it recently with a Rotring pen because my hands can hold the hexagonal shape better.
Date: February 08, 2019 03:54PM
he is already set up with a financial advisor and has about 10k in his retirement (not bad for a 23-year old that just went full-time in March). We are also planning to gift him the equity in the house we bought him to live in while in college when he gets married (he bought an engagement ring yesterday and plans to pop the question while the fireworks go off on July 4th).

So I'm looking more sentimental than practical. I guess I'm thinking of a future heirloom type gift. In my youth, a nice watch would fit the bill, but watches are now smart and get upgraded every few years, so that is out.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: February 08, 2019 03:57PM
Ombligo
he is already set up with a financial advisor and has about 10k in his retirement (not bad for a 23-year old that just went full-time in March). We are also planning to gift him the equity in the house we bought him to live in while in college when he gets married (he bought an engagement ring yesterday and plans to pop the question while the fireworks go off on July 4th).

So I'm looking more sentimental than practical. I guess I'm thinking of a future heirloom type gift. In my youth, a nice watch would fit the bill, but watches are now smart and get upgraded every few years, so that is out.

Good job!!!

Does he like art?

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 08, 2019 03:58PM
Ombligo,
Are there any family heirlooms that get passed down ? I also received my great great grandfather's gold pocket watch. That is a cherished heirloom. Kind of an eldest son to an eldest son thing. I've already 'passed' my grandfather's WWI / WWII personal service pistol to my eldest son.
Date: February 08, 2019 04:00PM
rjmacs
give him a nominal investment

When a young adult is short on rent those stocks will be the first to go bye-bye. Yes this is true with any gift via eBay, but stocks/investments are just too easy to convert to cash. I miss those late 90s shares of AAPL *SOB SOB* cry smiley
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 08, 2019 04:53PM
cbelt3
Ombligo,
Are there any family heirlooms that get passed down ? I also received my great great grandfather's gold pocket watch. That is a cherished heirloom. Kind of an eldest son to an eldest son thing. I've already 'passed' my grandfather's WWI / WWII personal service pistol to my eldest son.

.....this....it doesn't have to be valuable but something of yours/in your family.....it could your father's watch......a personal gift to mark a momentous occasion........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: February 08, 2019 05:14PM
My father died before my son was born, and I really don't have anything from him to pass along (I don't even have much for myself - an old hammer, a Shiner's fez is about it.

I hoping to start something that might become the father-to-son pass along.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2019 05:15PM by Ombligo.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: February 08, 2019 05:20PM
Apple stock?

Ombligo

Suggestions?

Gonna ask my Mother if that offer to slap
me into next year is still on the table.
Posted by: rgG
Date: February 08, 2019 06:38PM
Do you have somthing of yours that's special to you that you could pass down?

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 08, 2019 07:19PM
OMG, whats wrong with you peeps?

Hookers and booze, of course. smiley-music039

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: February 08, 2019 08:02PM
Since you didn't respond to the budget question. I guess it can be expensive.
An Hermes tie is a special gift. A carefully chosen color/pattern is timeless.

Every adult should have at least one "nice" tie. For interviews, weddings, and funerals.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 08, 2019 08:12PM
"So I'm looking more sentimental than practical. I guess I'm thinking of a future heirloom type gift. In my youth, a nice watch would fit the bill, but watches are now smart and get upgraded every few years, so that is out."

We've given Baby Buzz a few watches over the years, and gave him an earlier aWatch for his college graduation (along w/ my favorite, well worn, well loved chronograph). He has us return the aWatch to the AS. Last holidays we gave him a fancy Mickey Mouse watch that we knew he wanted, and he had us return that, too, because after he saw the newest aWatch work w/o an iPhone nearby, he decided he really, really wanted a v4 aWatch even more. Millennials. Good luck.
==
Posted by: Winston
Date: February 08, 2019 08:33PM
The tie is a nice idea, but those can be tricky to get right.

A tie bar is another one I've liked, but people are wearing ties less and less these days.

Monogrammed silver always comes to mind for me.

We gave our son a monogrammed silver belt buckle with his initials, and a his choice of the "strap" to go with it. Got it at a shop that does hand engraving.

Silver picture frame with his monogram.

Silver (unless coated) does have to get polished from time to time. I just recently polished a sterling silver 2 oz jigger a friend gave me at college graduation. My initials and date on one side, and the logo of a club we both belonged to on the other.

A nice pen, but, see tie bars. Engraved gold Cross pens used to be popular. Or pen & pencil set.

Artwork could be wonderful, but you'd have to find the right item.

Likewise with decorative items. A really nice table lamp for a first "adult" home, for example. See Scully & Scully for a few (expensive) ideas.

Silver ice bucket with his monogram.

Note that silver plate cannot be deeply engraved as it would cut through the silver. Nothing beats what hand engraving looks like on sterling silver. Plated items are usually machine engraved.

A family seal/crest - I'm pretty sure there are companies that will help you make one up, or, for many family names, there are lists of traditional seals/crests. Get one in black and white, get it hand colored, and framed.

Or, get the crest engraved on something. A family ring (if he'd wear it) would definitely fit into the "hand down from father to son" category.

Or, get the crest embossed on stationary (similar to how true engraved stationary is done).

A handful of the best family photos, artfully arranged, individually matted, in a nice frame.

A thumb drive with a selection of the best family photos, plus a digital picture frame to show them.

A wind-up shipstrike clock, maybe with a stand. These run for 15 days, and ring bells in a 4 hour sequence. 4, 8, and 12 are 8 bells. So 12:30, 4:30, 8:30 are one bell, and a bell is added each half hour.

A really nice leather bound world atlas, with his initials on it in gold.

An "ex libris" embosser with his name ("From the library of . . ." ) to mark ownership of books.

Silver letter opener (we use one my wife had almost every day). If it has a reasonable blade it can substitute for a box cutter for opening all those packages we all get from Amazon.

Crystal bar glasses with monogram on one side, school crest and date of graduation on the other. (This same idea could be used for larger silver items, like a silver flask, or around the sides of a picture frame.)

Chair with the college crest on it.

Gold plated silver buttons for a blazer with his monogram. (These can be moved from jacket to jacket as need arises. Gold plating prevents need for polish, and looks better on something like a blue blazer than silver buttons would.) Or, buttons with the college crest.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: February 08, 2019 08:39PM
A Real Watch? A good one will last decades. I gave my son a watch I got in the early 90s. He wears it when he dresses up. Its nothing fancy, just a cool skeleton watch.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: February 09, 2019 04:01AM
Thanks all, there are some good ideas here to think about. I guess I'm struggling because at heart I am a practical man with little real sentimentality. I don't have anything myself like I want him to have, so lack that connection. He tends to be more sentimental than I, but is also still young and has not developed the mortality gene yet.

But there are some leads here for me to think about.

Posted by: Michael
Date: February 09, 2019 06:41AM
rjmacs
Ombligo

Good job!!!

Does he like art?

If he likes art that could be very cool.

Edna Hibel was an artist who painted many mothers and babies, along with other things. We have several of her original works. When our kid was a teenager we bought a small original oil of a mother and baby from the Hibel gallery that hung on our wall with the intention of giving to our kid if/when she became a mom. We did that last year for Mother's Day when our grandbaby was 4 months old. Our daughter was stunned since she had no idea it was coming. It's hanging on their wall in her baby's room. One day she'll get the rest of them but this one will be special forever.

If your son is more oriented toward photographs, maybe a series of special photographs from his life, either in a book or printed. I really like the glass printing that some places are doing nowadays. They can nicely be stand-alones without needing frames.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 09, 2019 09:34AM
....customize to him....if he is sentimental then give him a gift that reflects that.....maybe something he held dear as a child.....a favorite blanket.....a unique pic.....favorite toy/stuffed animal,etc....

.....let him be sentimental while he is young.....life if hard enough and soon it will be lessened but for now......let him enjoy it......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: February 09, 2019 12:22PM
Ombligo
Thanks all, there are some good ideas here to think about. I guess I'm struggling because at heart I am a practical man with little real sentimentality. I don't have anything myself like I want him to have, so lack that connection. He tends to be more sentimental than I, but is also still young and has not developed the mortality gene yet.

Here's one other idea:

Write an essay about him/to him - stories from his growing up, things you've loved about being his father. Turn it into a book form and sign it in front with a handwritten note. Can include a few photos if you want, but that's not critical. I'm thinking sort of a "son, here's why I love you and am proud of you".

You could also include some family history. My kids are endlessly fascinated by stories of our and our parents' growing up experiences. Put in a section on what it was like for you to be his age.

This would be particularly meaningful given what you said about your being practical but not sentimental. It doesn't need to be sentimental, but might be a way to transmit to your son things that are important to you, about yourself, and about him.

(Having written this, I think I should do something like this for my children.)

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: February 09, 2019 12:33PM
And, one other thought:

We gave both of our daughters a Seiko "solar" watch, one that's dressy enough to wear to work, but not so formal you could not wear it daily. The watches need a few minutes of direct light each day to stay charged, but no more battery replacements. They charge through the face of the watch, so they don't have an exposed solar cell.

Here's the second one we got:

We got their initials, the school initials, and the graduation date engraved on the back.

This was based on my having given my wife a Seiko watch many years ago, black with a black metal band and gold highlights, which she has adored. So much so that we spent more than it was worth to get it repaired and the crystal replaced a couple of years ago.

For a guy who wants an Apple Watch, this might or might not be as good a choice. In my experience women change fashion accessories more often than men, so having a watch like this would fit well into their options. (Of course some guys do this too, and some women might not care at all.)

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: Carm
Date: February 09, 2019 12:47PM
Ombligo

But there are some leads here for me to think about.

I am like you Ombligo. And the only thing my father gave me was a gold chain that was stolen from my apartment while in college. My oldest son graduates college next year and my second son starts college the year after. Thanks for starting this thread.
Date: February 09, 2019 01:07PM
Carm
I am like you Ombligo. And the only thing my father gave me was a gold chain that was stolen from my apartment while in college. My oldest son graduates college next year and my second son starts college the year after. Thanks for starting this thread.

We've got the youngest in college now. Thinking about this is a help to us too.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: February 09, 2019 03:26PM
I'm really liking the letter idea, regardless of anything else I may give him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 194
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018