advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I have come to a conclusion about modern vehicles
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 09, 2019 08:04AM
Because seat warmers are possibly the best invention of mankind when winter is here... Mrs Cbelt3’s RAV/4 has them and I’ve been driving it. Oh . My. God... best day ever !
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I have come to a conclusion about modern vehicles
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 09, 2019 08:08AM
do they make heated seat covers? maybe you can upgrade your civic to the modern age.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: February 09, 2019 08:12AM
Heated steering wheel for those tired old hands.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: February 09, 2019 08:13AM
Yep, we have two levels of heat for both front seats in our Accord. I noticed in our current Accord and the previous one that they don't work unless there is someone in the seat so no prewarming before driving off on a cold morning.

Paul

Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 09, 2019 08:18AM
I think new vehicles are less likely to have remote start due to efficiency reasons. After all, you should just get into the vehicle and go. But we're currently living in Wisconsin without a garage. Much to my surprise both my wife and I find the heated seats to be sufficient down to the coldest temperatures. We'll still warm up the car for the little ones but its usually 0°F or below when we're doing that.

My only complaint is that the heated seats can feel like they're going to cook you if left on for more than a couple of minutes.

Posted by: Fritz
Date: February 09, 2019 08:46AM
I use mine on 1 for about 5 mins on the coldest day.
My spouse sets her side on 3 when it's 50º out.
This car has a heated steer as well for the first time.
I can't believe how much I like it. What a wuss.
Now if I could just get the remote start to work when I get off the train...

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.

Television is a medium because it is neither rare nor well done.
>>>Ernie Kovacs>>>
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 09, 2019 08:57AM
.....toasted....buns......??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rgG
Date: February 09, 2019 09:13AM
My new car has heated seats, both front and rear, and a heated steering wheel. I never thought I would use them, but man, those butt warmers and toasty wheel are very nice on those super cold days. I am getting soft in my old age. Lol

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: tenders
Date: February 09, 2019 09:45AM
We call heated seats the “baconators.” They are amazing with leather seats, can’t say I’ve missed them with cloth seats.

Wow, are they ever expensive to fix if they break...was done under warranty in our Sienna.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 09, 2019 09:45AM
I used my seat heaters for about the third time in the 4 years of owing the car this Thursday when it got below 35 F in my garage (it briefly dipped down to 10 F outside that AM). I turned it off after about two minutes.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 09, 2019 09:53AM
I've never cared for heated seats. My brother and I used to carpool for awhile and he would sometimes take his wife's Cadillac with seat warmers. I would jump in and immediately feel uncomfortable enough to ask him to turn them off. He couldn't understand why, as he absolutely loved them. It's been over a decade, so maybe an older Rick-o wouldn't mind them.

Now, seat warmers (and hand warmers) on a snowmobile are the cats meow! smiley-excited001

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: parsaplenty
Date: February 09, 2019 10:22AM
Heated seats and steering wheel plus cooled seats in our Explorer, integrated with remote start so depending on temp they kick on.
None of those in my 6 or Transit Connect, bummer!
Posted by: parsaplenty
Date: February 09, 2019 10:35AM
I would add that a couple of years ago I had my sons' BMW 550M for a week. Not only was it ridiculously fast but it had massaging seats, great for long drives. Good thing I only had it for a week or surely I wouldn't have a license today!
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: February 09, 2019 11:15AM
First world problems:

Old Car had heated seats with 1-5 settings. 2 was just right.

New Car has 1-3 settings. 2 is too warm. 1 is not warm enough.

Both Cars VW's.
Posted by: Winston
Date: February 09, 2019 12:13PM
parsaplenty
plus cooled seats

That's what I want!

But my wife adores heated seats in cars. We've got an old Audi that also has the heated steering wheel.

If we ever replace our 2004 Toyota Sienna minivan it will be because the heated seats died.
I put beaded seat covers in it for summer use. My wife doesn't love them, but accepts that I find them a lot more comfortable than sticky leather.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: February 09, 2019 12:13PM
On EVs heated seats and steering wheels are mostly standard now. They use less energy than heating the entire cabin.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: graylocks
Date: February 09, 2019 12:21PM
my Volt has heated seats. sometimes at night after work i'll remain in my car parked in my carport surfing away and enjoying the comfort.

wish it had a heated steering wheel like my brother's Nissan Leaf.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 09, 2019 01:02PM
tenders
We call heated seats the “baconators.” They are amazing with leather seats, can’t say I’ve missed them with cloth seats.

Wow, are they ever expensive to fix if they break...was done under warranty in our Sienna.

I got 'em in our current Sienna, with the hopes that the seat heating pads could be transplanted to the lumbar region. After not being able to accomplish that, our baconators are practically virgins. The aftermarket car heat pads don't work very well and/or are uncomfortable. The best lumbar solution I've found is to use a drugstore home heating pad w/ the power inverter for the car. Works great, but(t?) serious ugly quotient.
==
Posted by: btfc
Date: February 09, 2019 01:08PM
I was using a friend's snowmobile once and the handwarmers started getting uncomfortably hot, even through heavy gloves. It turned out that there was a burned out headlight and that the headlights and heaters were on the same circuit. The grips started to melt before I realized what was happening.
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 09, 2019 01:14PM
kurtzie
First world problems:
Both Cars VW's.

Yeah, our 2010 Mazda 3 had 5 positions, easy to find just the right temp. Our 2012 Mazda 5 only had on or off. Sometimes it was fine, others times felt like fire. Wife replaced her Mazda with a 2016 Volvo S60, no heated seats...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 09, 2019 01:51PM
I've had heated seats for 20+ years in my Volvo cars. I'd like a heated steering wheel. Car that was just totaled after having it for a few months, had rear heated seats, and kids want them again.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: February 09, 2019 02:04PM
jdc
Wife replaced her Mazda with a 2016 Volvo S60, no heated seats...

Wow, I'm genuinely surprised by that. If Volvo and/or Saab didn't invent seat heaters, surely they were the first ones to introduce them to the non-Scandinavian world. I would've thought seat heaters came standard on every Volvo since the 240 ended production.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: February 09, 2019 02:49PM
cbelt3
Because seat warmers are possibly the best invention of mankind when winter is here... Mrs Cbelt3’s RAV/4 has them and I’ve been driving it. Oh . My. God... best day ever !

I'm sure it's great for the ladies, cbelt, but you really should keep 'em cool.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: February 09, 2019 02:54PM
Thrift Store Scott
jdc
Wife replaced her Mazda with a 2016 Volvo S60, no heated seats...

Wow, I'm genuinely surprised by that. If Volvo and/or Saab didn't invent seat heaters, surely they were the first ones to introduce them to the non-Scandinavian world. I would've thought seat heaters came standard on every Volvo since the 240 ended production.

+1, of all the automakers I too would have assumed Volvo would be the unrivaled leader in providing heated seats.

Once we place nonhuman animals outside our sphere of moral consideration
and treat them as things we use to satisfy our own desires,
the outcome is predictable.

- Peter Singer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2019 02:55PM by Yoyodyne ArtWorks.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: February 09, 2019 02:57PM
I have found that I even enjoy my heated seats in the summer time after a 15 hour work day...

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: February 09, 2019 03:19PM
kurtzie
First world problems:
Both Cars VW's.
iirc, that's one of the settings that can be altered via Carista OBD Scanner & App.
When it gets warmer, I'll check it out & let you know. I'm amazed how many 'options' on VWG cars can be adjusted thru the OBD.

jdc
Yeah, our 2010 Mazda 3 had 5 positions, easy to find just the right temp. Our 2012 Mazda 5 only had on or off. Sometimes it was fine, others times felt like fire. Wife replaced her Mazda with a 2016 Volvo S60, no heated seats...

2016s were the first Volvos completely designed/mfd. by the new owners, Zhejiang Geely of China!

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
...word salad is not a disorder, it is a symptom...

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 09, 2019 04:37PM
I've never had heated seats, instead relying on the DIY method.

It's just not really cold enough around here for me to appreciate them.

A/C seats are a different matter, though, especially with leather seats.

Now a heated steering wheel is something I'd love to have. Even though it doesn't get really cold around here, a car sitting in 40º weather means my using gloves until the sun is out.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: February 09, 2019 07:38PM
Markintosh
I have found that I even enjoy my heated seats in the summer time after a 15 hour work day...

Been There.

Done That.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: raz
Date: February 09, 2019 07:39PM
Heated seats are nice, but the backup camera is the essential accessory.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: wowzer
Date: February 09, 2019 08:54PM
Backup cameras are really essential.
Cooled/ventilated seats are really nice.
Heated steering wheel is nice.
I barely use the heated seats (like once every other year for about 1 minute on low).

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Posted by: Winston
Date: February 09, 2019 11:05PM
raz
Heated seats are nice, but the backup camera is the essential accessory.

Once upon a time, cars had corners you could see, and large un-tinted windows that you could see out of. And most people didn't have SUVs with huge blind spots right behind the car.

And parking lots didn't have spots that were only about 6" wider than the car.

How times change.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: testcase
Date: February 09, 2019 11:37PM
In both the Toyota Sienna minivan and the Toyota Prius I've owned, when it's necessary to clear snow off either, turning the seat heat on BEFORE I start brushing snow, did NOT result in getting into a pre-warmed seat. VERY annoying! Once I'm driving and the seat heats up, it's nice.
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: February 10, 2019 05:39AM
My mom has these in her RAV4 and never uses them, but I love a heating pad on my back any time... so I never enter her car without using them. It's not for the warming, but the muscle relaxation.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: February 10, 2019 08:13AM
My 1970 SAAB 99 had heated seats. Talk about the ensuing discussions when people rode in it!

That same car also had a fuel injected engine and stay-on all-the-time headlights.

But no radio... or cup holders.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2019 08:14AM by Sam3.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 10, 2019 10:37AM
testcase
In both the Toyota Sienna minivan and the Toyota Prius I've owned, when it's necessary to clear snow off either, turning the seat heat on BEFORE I start brushing snow, did NOT result in getting into a pre-warmed seat. VERY annoying! Once I'm driving and the seat heats up, it's nice.

There are sensors for weight. One time I set of the heaters in my passenger seat when I had a heavy object on it, and mistakenly left on the switch. But that's the only time...
Posted by: testcase
Date: February 10, 2019 03:38PM
mrbigstuff
testcase

There are sensors for weight. One time I set of the heaters in my passenger seat when I had a heavy object on it, and mistakenly left on the switch. But that's the only time...

I understand the sensors BUT, Toyota could ALSO include a high temperature cut off to cover the situation you cite. As I originally mentioned, if I'm going to spend 5~10 minutes clearing snow off my car, I should NOT have to wait for the seat to heat up.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: February 10, 2019 04:54PM
My truck has heated and cooled front seats and heated rears. Also have the heated steering wheel. Love the heated seats as it really helps my back, especially on long drives. Cooled seats are great in the summer. Best part is that they activate with remote start depending on ambient conditions.
Posted by: JPK
Date: February 11, 2019 09:12AM
I have found the heated steering wheel to be an even more incredible invention. Put those together with pre-heated windshield washer fluid and it almost doesn't suck to live in a cold climate.

Unfortunately my Audi does not have remote start - which would make all of those things, above, even better!

JPK
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 286
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018