Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I cooked lamb liver tonight...
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 09, 2019 08:42PM
...and, eh, its liver!

I sautéed onions, garlic, and thyme in butter on medium low heat and then added the liver for a total of six minutes.

It was part of a larger recipe that included mashed fennel and gravy. I thought I'd simplify and go without those items. (I've had pretty good luck with simply recipes) Now I think those elements might have helped round out the intensity of the liver.

I'm pretty sure this is my first time eating liver aside from the small amount you find in a chicken thigh. Trying to cook something you've never had before is weird.

I'm pretty sure I have 2-3 more packages of lamb liver in my freezer (came with the whole lamb I purchased). Luckily they'll last for a while because I think I need a break to develop a new strategy.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I cooked lamb liver tonight...
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 09, 2019 08:46PM
.....with a nice bottle of chianti......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: srf1957
Date: February 09, 2019 08:52PM
The problem with your recipe is the added liver . My dad used to eat liver and onions . Everybody else would sample a small piece the eat something else .
Posted by: raz
Date: February 09, 2019 09:47PM
To each his own. When the wife is not around my son and I do a liver and onions dinner.

Yum

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Winston
Date: February 09, 2019 11:25PM
I've never had lamb liver, but calf's liver is delicious. Especially with onions & really crisp bacon. My wife likes it too, but we never converted our kids.Unfortunately, I'm on a medication that can cause it to give me headaches.

I'd expect that lamb liver would have a pretty strong flavor and need other things to balance it out. The mashed fennel and gravy made me think of including it as an ingredient in a shepherd's pie (along with ground beef or ground beef & ground pork).

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 09, 2019 11:29PM
.....liver.....let die......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 10, 2019 12:24AM
The entire meal sounds very nice! The fennel might indeed have taking some of the liveryness off of it. Maybe.
I'd suggest grinding the liver with slightly more than 50% of lamb stew meat, or lamb heart, to "cut" the liver flavor, and cooking them with chopped onion and scottish oats with some stock. Sort of a skinless haggis. I've had this idea for a while, but don't have an easy local source of lambs liver, kidney, and heart.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: February 10, 2019 08:33AM
Good fried beef liver is great. So is fired chicken livers with onions and rice. Then there's fried liver mush with rice and milk gravy and scrambled eggs. Mind you I don't eat any of this but a couple times a year.

Grateful11
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 10, 2019 02:26PM
Some Costco's get whole critters, I've seen pigs and lambs there, so you can get some good parts to go with the liver...
Then again, you're livin' in lamb country now, so you probably have some pretty good choosin'.
==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 75
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018