advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Not all USB cables are equal.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: February 10, 2019 08:54AM
I have been obsessed lately with USB cables and charging things. Be it a PS4 controller or an iPad, how can I Git-R-Done....NOW!
Ya Know that feeling you get when you have this perfectly good cable and the device says no.

I understand the 10 port USB charger that is powered with a 1.0 amp supply. I bought these Monster charger stations off Meh the other day and they have power cords like my old CRTs. They rock, with the right cord. Now if you have ever taken a meter to measure the resistance of a USB cale to figure if it is a fast or slow chart, I feel your pain.

$12.49 Prime

Just do it. Get yourself one of these and have a great day. Toss some of those $#iTTY cables to your needy co-workers. They make fancier ones, you make that call on how much you want to spend. Get this puppy now and learn a lot before you pluck down the coin for the ones that Bluetooth to your Pee Cee or Android device.
Well this is my rant and I am sticking to it.

Staunton, Virginia
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Not all USB cables are equal.
Posted by: August West
Date: February 10, 2019 09:55AM
General endorsement for cable testing here. haven't done it with USB, but in audio I always carry a multiple cable type tester.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: space-time
Date: February 10, 2019 09:57AM
I have a similar one, monochrome display, bought on eBay (I think) for like $8 and yes was able to determine that my Anker battery indeed takes 10000 mAh and puts out back around 9500 mAh (IIRC, don't quote me on these numbers). Also comes in handy to see how much charge an iPad/iPhone takes from 0% to 100%, or how much a Wyze cam uses and how long it could run on that Anker battery (I think about 3 days IIRC, again don't quote me on that number).

yes, these are nice devices. if I didn't have one, I would get this one in a heart beat.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: February 10, 2019 10:14AM
If you're not in a hurry, the AT34 sells on fleabay for $8-10 shipped from Asia.
Same tester, just no bezos mark-up!

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
...word salad is not a disorder, it is a symptom...

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: February 10, 2019 10:22AM
I've always wanted to get a tester; happened across one of these on eBay: [www.ebay.com]

I like the setup -- lot of USB options -- but I'm not sure I'd know how to work with it. I would assume it's as basic as "red light = bad", but I dunno.

same as it ever was | 109:8
Posted by: Forrest
Date: February 10, 2019 11:50AM
A 10 port USB charger that is powered with a 1.0 amp supply does not meet the USB spec of 500 mA per port. The port that charges an iPad need 2.1A or 2.4A.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 10, 2019 11:58AM
This is my only complaint about USB-C, the large majority of the cables don't support high power *and* Thundercrap 3 data rates.

I would rather give Bez-azon money than ebay. After seeing Rossman using meters like this to help diagnosing MacBooks, I think I'm going to get the multi-input.

amazon.com/dp/B07DCTG6LH

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2019 12:03PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: February 10, 2019 12:23PM
Filliam H. Muffman
This is my only complaint about USB-C, the large majority of the cables don't support high power *and* Thundercrap 3 data rates.

I would rather give Bez-azon money than ebay. After seeing Rossman using meters like this to help diagnosing MacBooks, I think I'm going to get the multi-input.

amazon.com/dp/B07DCTG6LH

Yeah it was a choice, but no more USB C that I have, I bailed for now. Nintendo uses this and I measure it at the old school end of the cable. I will upgrade when the Bluetooth versions support IOS.

If it does not pass the power then it Probably has the slower data rate as well.

Staunton, Virginia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2019 12:29PM by Bernie.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: February 10, 2019 12:45PM
Good timing. I was just looking at these yesterday. I decided to put off the decision until I could find a recommendation online. So: Thanks.
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 10, 2019 01:10PM
I just counted in our house and my office... besides a bunch of lighting cables... we are using exactly 2 USB cables (to drives) and 1 ethernet (to a printer).

Everything else is wireless...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 10, 2019 02:45PM
jdc
I just counted in our house and my office... besides a bunch of lighting cables... we are using exactly 2 USB cables (to drives) and 1 ethernet (to a printer).

Everything else is wireless...

still this gizmo would be useful to determine the capacity of a portable battery.

Also, even if your iPhone 8/9/x charges wirelessly, isn't there a USB cable between power adapter and charging pad?

(yes, I know there is no iPhone 9, just testing your attention span folks).
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 10, 2019 02:53PM
Nope... we have a few of these kind of things (not the exact one...)

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 280
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018