advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
sew, a needle pulling thread?!....Apple being sued --> 2-factor authentication....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 10, 2019 11:57AM
....not allowing customers to disable it......

Apple Sued Over Not Letting Customers Disable Two-Factor Authentication After Two Weeks

.....New York resident Jay Brodsky has filed a frivolous class action lawsuit against Apple, alleging that the company's so-called "coercive" policy of not letting customers disable two-factor authentication beyond a two-week grace period is both inconvenient and violates a variety of California laws.

The complaint alleges that Brodsky "and millions of similarly situated consumers across the nation have been and continue to suffer harm" and "economic losses" as a result of Apple's "interference with the use of their personal devices and waste of their personal time in using additional time for simple logging in."

In a support document, Apple says it prevents customers from turning off two-factor authentication after two weeks because "certain features in the latest versions of iOS and macOS require this extra level of security":

If you already use two-factor authentication, you can no longer turn it off. Certain features in the latest versions of iOS and macOS require this extra level of security, which is designed to protect your information. If you recently updated your account, you can unenroll for two weeks. Just open your enrollment confirmation email and click the link to return to your previous security settings. Keep in mind, this makes your account less secure and means that you can't use features that require higher security.

The complaint is riddled with questionable allegations, however, including that Apple released a software update around September 2015 that enabled two-factor authentication on Brodsky's Apple ID without his knowledge or consent. Apple in fact offers two-factor authentication on an opt-in basis.

Brodsky also claims that two-factor authentication is required each time you turn on an Apple device, which is false, and claims the security layer adds an additional two to five minutes or longer to the login process when it in fact only takes seconds to enter a verification code from a trusted device.

The complaint goes on to allege that Apple's confirmation email for two-factor authentication enrollment containing a "single last line" alerting customers that they have a two-week period to disable the security layer is "insufficient."

Brodsky accuses Apple of violating the U.S. Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, California's Invasion of Privacy Act, and other laws. He, on behalf of others similarly situated, is seeking monetary damages as well as a ruling that prevents Apple from "not allowing a user to choose its own logging and security procedure." Read the full document.

can't disable it.........?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: sew, a needle pulling thread?!....Apple being sued --> 2-factor authentication....
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 10, 2019 12:38PM
Dude's lawyer doesn't know WTF he's talking about.

...But it's wrong that Apple won't let users disable 2FA. I know a lot of people who have been locked out of their devices because 2FA was linked to a dead phone or iPad.

Re: sew, a needle pulling thread?!....Apple being sued --> 2-factor authentication....
Posted by: davester
Date: February 10, 2019 12:56PM
This is not news. Any moron can file a lawsuit.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 10, 2019 04:42PM
Hi everyone,

Gotta say, Apple's method of enabling two-factor authentication is annoying. Opt-in it may be, it's also way too easy to do it accidentally and, once enabled, a pain to disable.

Robert
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: February 10, 2019 07:07PM
Robert M
Hi everyone,

Gotta say, Apple's method of enabling two-factor authentication is annoying. Opt-in it may be, it's also way too easy to do it accidentally and, once enabled, a pain to disable.

Robert

Agreed. Apple needs to get it's stuff together. They've made a massive mess out of something that can be useful.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 10, 2019 07:42PM
AAPL

It's our way or the highway.
Posted by: digby
Date: February 10, 2019 10:29PM
Well, I tend to screw up anything where "I shouldn't have clicked on that" or "Oops, I accidentally let Apple/M'soft/Amazon take over the world"...but I've never set up Two-Factor Authorization.

If I can successfully say "No thanks", anyone can.

But would 2FA be better security?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 11, 2019 07:05AM
digby,

Actually... It's very easy to skew this one up if you're not expecting the option to exist. Apple needs to make it much more overt and vastly easier to turn off. What happens if you delete the email with the link or it goes into the SPAM folder and is purged automatically by email filtering systems? You're SOL. That's unacceptable. I'm not much for lawsuits, especially class action ones, but, in this case, Apple needs a spanking even if two-factor authentication is more secure.

Robert
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: February 11, 2019 09:18AM
Is their 2FA the thing that makes me use the login from a DIFFERENT apple device to log into another apple device? B/c that @#$%& is annoying as hell.

Date: February 11, 2019 09:38AM
digby
Well, I tend to screw up anything where "I shouldn't have clicked on that" or "Oops, I accidentally let Apple/M'soft/Amazon take over the world"...but I've never set up Two-Factor Authorization.

If I can successfully say "No thanks", anyone can.

But would 2FA be better security?

My wife took our family iPad to the Apple Store as it was having problems. They reset it and set it up again. They turned on 2FA. Also, the way it's worded is something like "Would you like enhanced security?" Sure, but I don't want to be locked out of my account with no way to get in.

Date: February 11, 2019 09:38AM
bazookaman
Is their 2FA the thing that makes me use the login from a DIFFERENT apple device to log into another apple device? B/c that @#$%& is annoying as hell.

That's it.

Posted by: bazookaman
Date: February 11, 2019 11:13AM
M A V I C
bazookaman

That's it.

Yeah. I hate that. A LOT.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 282
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018