advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Thinking of upgrading to Mac Mini - thoughts?
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: February 10, 2019 04:07PM
So, this isn't my setup - it's my Dad's. He's getting to ready to dive into more heavy-duty work scanning photos (prints, slides, and negatives), plus image post-processing in Photoshop and Lightroom. Most of his other use will be pretty everyday - email, web surfing, iTunes for music in the house, etc.

He's currently using a Mac Pro 2,1 (upgraded from a 1,1) that has topped out at El Capitan, and although it's working fine he is now three OS's out of date and software/security issues are imminent, if not already problematic.

In terms of peripherals, I think he'll be okay. He runs two monitors on his current setup - an older Apple late 2005 20" Cinema Display (DVI) monitor (max resolution 1680x1050) and a newer Dell UP2516D (max resolution 2560x1440). His scanner is an Epson Perfection V750 Pro, which though it's USB 2.0, is sufficient for his needs. These are all supported in Mojave, to my knowledge.

Since he doesn't need the display of an iMac, he's looking at the new Minis. I know that their weak point is the onboard graphics processor (Intel UHD Graphics 630), but I don't know if it would be insufficient for his photographic needs. He really doesn't edit video, and picture fidelity is much more important to him than rendering speed.

I'm thinking that he could probably do fine with a new Mini (8,1) with a 3.0GHz 6?core processor, 16GB RAM, 256GB internal storage, and the standard gigabit ethernet card (no need for 10Gb ethernet). He could connect the Dell monitor directly by HDMI and the Cinema Display with a fairly cheap USB-C to DVI adapter.

Most of his storage is already in externals, and I'm confident that we can manage his storage needs externally through consolidation (this needs to happen anyway). I think that the small internal drive will suffice for his system and application needs.

What do you all think? I know his electric bill will be happy with any upgrade! Let me know what you think about the graphics capability of this mini, given his needs. He's not dead set against an external GPU, but that's not a small investment, so we'd only do it if necessary.

Thanks, all - I love crowdsourcing here because you're all so smart. And opinionated!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2019 04:07PM by rjmacs.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Thinking of upgrading to Mac Mini - thoughts?
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: February 10, 2019 04:12PM
I have that exact model and am loving it.

Granted, I don't do heavy duty photo processing like you described your dad is going to be doing, but I imagine the 6 core processor will come in handy for that kind of stuff despite the GPU limitations. But, hopefully someone more knowledgeable about that stuff will chime in.

Note, though, that there is an 8 page thread over at Macrumors dealing with Bluetooth issues that these new models are having (mine has it too):

[forums.macrumors.com]

Posted by: sekker
Date: February 10, 2019 04:35PM
Sounds like a perfect mac mini customer. So long as all peripherals work under Mojave (as you indicate), go for it.
Posted by: raz
Date: February 10, 2019 05:07PM
I upgraded to a 1 gig drive, but that’s what replaced my 3,1. You should be happy.

Ports are an issue. Only 2 usb. But my dell monitors have hubs

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 10, 2019 06:48PM
raz

Im not sure I understand this, new mac mini has 6 USB ports.

I have to ask... is there really something wrong with his current MP? If he running a SSD on a PCIe card, with decent ram, it should be plenty fast?

IMHO, I dont see anything a mini would do to improve his situation. Sure less power, heat and noise, but beyond that...?

Of course, software can work both ways -- get a new mac and all the old stuff stops working -- or keep what you have. Sorry, but I dont see any issue with security. Its just not a thing.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: February 10, 2019 08:45PM
pinkoos -
Note, though, that there is an 8 page thread over at Macrumors dealing with Bluetooth issues that these new models are having (mine has it too)...
Yeah, don't know what's with Macs and BT. Even the trusty old MacPros had issues with it. I solved mine with a dongle, USB ext. cable, & 'Bluetooth Explorer'.
MacPro Upgrade details here

As for a new Mini, I'll remain Swiss on that one thumbsup smiley

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
...word salad is not a disorder, it is a symptom...

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Date: February 10, 2019 08:48PM
Yup, several people in that thread have recommended the same fix for the mini's BT issues. I've got the extension cable and that exact BT dongle as well as BT Explorer downloaded. Haven't gotten around to setting it all up yet as I've been using my Logitech MX Ergo trackball with the included receiver. I thought I was going to miss my Magic Trackpad (which was very flakey on this mini), but I've found that I kinda like the trackball.

MrNoBody
pinkoos -
Note, though, that there is an 8 page thread over at Macrumors dealing with Bluetooth issues that these new models are having (mine has it too)...
Yeah, don't know what's with Macs and BT. Even the trusty old MacPros had issues with it. I solved mine with a dongle, USB ext. cable, & 'Bluetooth Explorer'.
MacPro Upgrade details here

As for a new Mini, I'll remain Swiss on that one thumbsup smiley
Posted by: Mr645
Date: February 11, 2019 05:57AM
The new Mac Mini is a screamer. I have the i7 6 core model as well as half a dozen Mac Pros from 1.1 to 3.1 models in my studio. The new Mac Mini can process RAW files twice as fast as the 8 core 2.8 Mac Pro can, but having said that, perhaps a video card would give dad the monitor capabilities is would like and the older Mac Pro is still a solid machine.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: February 11, 2019 09:55AM
Do the new Mini's have the issue with the sporadic issue of the DisplayPort not connecting when waking? I have this issue with my 2012 Mini. PITA as the HDMI port doesn't support the max resolution on my display, so I use the DP connection.
Date: February 11, 2019 11:08AM
macphanatic
Do the new Mini's have the issue with the sporadic issue of the DisplayPort not connecting when waking? I have this issue with my 2012 Mini. PITA as the HDMI port doesn't support the max resolution on my display, so I use the DP connection.

New minis do not have display port connections.

----

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: February 11, 2019 12:45PM
jdc
macphanatic

New minis do not have display port connections.

Forgot about that.
Posted by: raz
Date: February 11, 2019 12:59PM
jdc
raz

4 are USB-C, only 2 are USB-A. So, all the old peripherals will have to share (or get a USB-C to USB-A hub or cable or ...)

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: February 11, 2019 01:10PM
raz
jdc
raz

4 are USB-C, only 2 are USB-A. So, all the old peripherals will have to share (or get a USB-C to USB-A hub or cable or ...)

These are affordable.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2019 01:10PM by rjmacs.
Date: February 11, 2019 02:04PM
raz

even cooler is that ONE of those USB C ports can do this... and still have 5 USB ports left over

----

Date: February 11, 2019 03:35PM
Nice, which product is that? Link?
Date: February 11, 2019 10:43PM
several brands, these guys seem to have the most options to choose from

[satechi.net]

----

Date: February 11, 2019 10:46PM
jdc
several brands, these guys seem to have the most options to choose from

[satechi.net]

Thanks
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: February 12, 2019 09:15AM
YMMV, as always, but I've had a bad track record with Satechi. Mostly their USB3 hubs and iMac usage.

Make it a good day today.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 301
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018