advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How to retain aspect ratio for videos posted to Instagram?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: February 11, 2019 09:05AM
Tried something new today, not terribly adventurous.

I put together a ~ 50 second movie from 3 iPhone clips. I used iMovie on the phone to assemble and edit, and from there exported to Instagram.

So the video appears as a large square, not a total disaster since I had kept my subject centered in the image anyway while shooting.

But my feed also has video from someone else and that one has a normal (horizontal) aspect ratio. And since it's not "blown up" (into a square) the resolution isn't hurt, like mine kinda is. I don't know if that other person's video was shot with a phone or a DLSR.

It was just an experiment; I don't need to "fix" it necessarily but would like to know how to preserve the aspect ratio for next time?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How to retain aspect ratio for videos posted to Instagram?
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 11, 2019 12:00PM

What iPhone, version of iOS/iMovie, resolution/framerate of movie, what version of Instagram App, etc...? What is the resolution of the other person's video?

They used to have vertical and horizontal resolution limits, along with video bandwidth standards. I would suggest transferring one video to your Mac, run it through Handbrake set for HQ 720p/30, and try uploading that. Then increase the resolution until it starts getting clipped.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: February 11, 2019 12:43PM
Don't have answers to those questions right now. (I do know I have an iPhone 8 Plus and that device was the entire workflow.) I'll research what IG expects to receive and how it handles images and videos.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: February 11, 2019 02:03PM
It's the reason I ditched Instagram for showing my work on Facebook..that and the conversational aspect.

A Photography site that restricts your cropping?? Ijust dont get it

I get that it started off as a 'thing'///square..but, jeez, cropping is a critical point and random destruction of folk's work is a major 'suck'point.

Even if you go into code and upload..or use a hack app..major pain the ass
Date: February 11, 2019 02:45PM
Well I don't post pictures on FB anymore because I really don't use FB anymore for much of anything except as a craigslist alternative.

I've seen IG feeds with user-cropped images but the square display is better as a "contact sheet" IMO when browsing someone's feed. Wanna see something better? Click and you get the intended crop.

What few images I have in mine were uploaded from my Mac by faking the mobile site. And I KNOW that professionals are doing something like that because they are not using a smartphone to capture, let alone edit their images. I can't imagine *everyone* is transferring images to a smartphone just to use IG. That would be nauseating. One pro I follow posts something everyday, and he only shoots with Graflex, Rollei, Speed Graphic and so on.

That's sort of a digression.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 322
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018