advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Airbus to cease production of A380 in 2019
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: February 16, 2019 03:14PM
Never flew on an A380. Anyone here fly on one?

[edition.cnn.com]

A whopping great beast of an aircraft, the double-decker Airbus A380 -- the biggest passenger airplane the world has ever known -- is an incredible sight whether on land or in the air.
Such gravity-defying proportions combined with the genuinely enjoyable experience of flying in one have won it legions of admirers since its first commercial voyage in 2007.
So it was no surprise that there was widespread consternation at the February 14 announcement that Airbus intends to cease production of the A380 in 2019, effectively placing an expiry date on an aircraft that was once seen as the future of aviation.
But how quickly are A380s going to vanish from our skies? Is widespread affection for the huge aircraft enough to keep it flying well into its dotage, in the way many classic planes continue flying well beyond their service life?
Commercially, the superjumbo's days are clearly numbered. Airbus's announcement follows the cancellation of several orders by key airlines despite a decade of efforts by the aircraft's manufacturer to persuade them the aircraft was part of a new revolution in air travel.
That said, with Airbus continuing to offer mechanical support, the A380 potentially has many more years of flying ahead of it. Such modern machines typically have a lifespan of at least two decades, meaning we could still be boarding them in the 2040s, maybe even later.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Airbus to cease production of A380 in 2019
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: February 16, 2019 04:12PM
Never flown on one, but as that picture indicates, you can't miss them on the runway.

For better or for worse, the era of the jumbos is over. The last passenger 747s will be rolling off the line in a few years (the very last pair are going to be Air Force Ones), although it looks like FedEx and UPS will order more of them for cargo.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: February 16, 2019 04:22PM
I've heard almost nothing but good things regarding comfort/noise levels. Will try to fly on one someday...haven't travelled out of country in a while.

I think the biggest hold back was the unexpected decline/lower growth rate in international travel during the economic downturns following the Sept 11 attacks and 2008 recession. Even with the advent of more efficient wide body twins (777, 787, A350, etc.) that enabled more direct routing between long distance city pairs, the hubs were expected to grow commensurately, necessitating an ultra high capacity aircraft greater than the 747 (like the A380). That time may eventually get here still...just maybe not soon enough for the A380 (unless they somehow retain the ability to startup production again...which so far in aerospace has not been a practical concept).
Posted by: testcase
Date: February 16, 2019 05:21PM
The A380 "pre-release" aircraft was shown at AirVenture in Oshkosh, WI. Attendees were able to do a walk through but, that test aircraft was loaded with test instruments. Most attendees didn't get to go "topside" (the "Fat Cats did get a better tour). Watching the test pilot put the A-380 through its' paces was amazing.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 16, 2019 07:04PM
When that plane first came out, I remember reading lots of stories about how Airbus had completely misjudged what the coming traffic patterns for air travel would be. I guess that has turned out to be with the A380 being a money loser for Airbus.
Posted by: DP
Date: February 17, 2019 07:25PM
freeradical
When that plane first came out, I remember reading lots of stories about how Airbus had completely misjudged what the coming traffic patterns for air travel would be. I guess that has turned out to be with the A380 being a money loser for Airbus.

Even back then there was talk that the 380's were obsolete. That was a period of high fuel prices, too.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: February 18, 2019 06:10AM
I used to work for an aerospace supplier. We heard stories as far back as the early 2000s about how Boeing tricked Airbus into committing to make the A380. They knew it would suck up all their resources and wouldn’t sell well at all. They also knew that a smaller more fuel efficient plane was where the market was heading. They hung the albatross about airbus’ neck and sat back to watch the show.

[www.forbes.com]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: February 18, 2019 01:49PM
My repatriation flight from CDG-IAD was an Air France A380. In "premium" economy, which isn't first, but so much better than steerage. The thing is enormous.

Can't really say I noticed much difference as far as the flight went, but it is huuuge.

I read that some factors leading to the demise was the cost of mods to accommodate the beast. Also, it needed long runways, which limited the airports it could use.

Did I mention that it's really big?
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 18, 2019 01:54PM
Also, it needed long runways, which limited the airports it could use.

I was wondering what they do if they need to make an emergency landing. Can they land at an airport with short runway? Then how does it take off?
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: February 18, 2019 02:02PM
space-time
Can they land at an airport with short runway? Then how does it take off?

In an emergency, it's any port in a storm.

When it needs to leave, it would have the crew and enough fuel to get where it needed to go. No passengers or cargo means shorter runway can be used.
Posted by: dk62
Date: February 18, 2019 08:34PM
I flew it a couple of times from Asia. Not sure that I noticed a big difference, except for the lounge bar area in the back, which was nice, and a long line to enter/exit the business class section, which was the whole upper deck (not nice).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2019 08:34PM by dk62.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 360
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018