advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Thinking about a new dishwasher... which of these models would you buy?
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 18, 2019 07:16PM
Costco has a "sale" (I didn't check prices before to see if indeed they were higher). I like Whirlpool since I heard you can get spare parts easier than for Korean brands (Samsung, LG).

I already eliminated the $399 and $499 models with PLASTIC tub. These are all Stainless Steel Tub.

Prices are (LEFT TO RIGHT)

$600, $600, $700 and $750

[www.costco.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2019 07:17PM by space-time.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Thinking about a new dishwasher... which of these models would you buy?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 18, 2019 07:25PM
....super models.......they wash dishes and then some......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: February 18, 2019 07:34PM
We have the cheapest stainless steel tub Whirlpool that uses the same controls, but on the outside of the door. It is efficient, quiet and gets dishes very clean on both the regular cycle and the one hour cycle. It's going on year 5. We would buy the same again.

I think avoiding the Samsung and LG is a fine idea. It was $399 at the time.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2019 07:34PM by Markintosh.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: February 18, 2019 07:42PM
Bosch. Will never do anything else

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: February 18, 2019 07:56PM
C(-)ris

why? what is special about Bosch?

I don't think Costco sells Bosch, and I like that they have free delivery and installation, and I get 4 year warranty.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: February 18, 2019 07:58PM
In my readings of this, I have concluded:

• Stay away from Samsung and LG
• Get a Bosch, but not above the 300 Series (not worth the extra money)
Date: February 18, 2019 07:59PM
Dennis S
In my readings of this, I have concluded:

• Stay away from Samsung and LG
• Get a Bosch, but not above the 300 Series (not worth the extra money)

so 300 series is OK, or stop at 299? LOL
Posted by: davester
Date: February 18, 2019 08:19PM
Yep, Bosch 300. That's what we bought. Reliable, get the dishes really clean, super quiet.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: max
Date: February 18, 2019 09:01PM
Bosh, Miele, Siemens, Gaggenau, Thermador, Neff are all the same with a different nameplate....
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: February 18, 2019 09:07PM
My son has a Bosch (don't recall the model, unfortunately) and it is the quietest dishwasher I have ever encountered. Also does a great job of cleaning.
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 18, 2019 09:53PM
Some peeps dont like the SS tubs.

No help, we bought a Fridgedaire, whatever the cheapest SS tub one was. To match our fridge and micorwave. Going on 3 or 4 years now, no complaints, dishes come out clean.

I have no idea how loud it is. We run it in the middle of the night while we are sleeping... and we air dry, never use the heater.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2019 11:38PM by jdc.
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: February 18, 2019 10:21PM
I don't think you can go wrong with any of those - have some people that bought two of those from Costco and like them alot. Since mentioned, we bought a Bosch 500-series (SHP865-something) with the pocket handle and controls on top, and I love it. As mentioned, the additional features are nothing too special over the lower versions, but we primarily got it for its cleaner aesthetics we were looking for with the handle.

Bosch has sort of a different way of drying (more European) than traditional machines that can really bake the dishes with heat. It is condensation drying.

Some people complain about it since it could leave some water on the dishes, but this mainly occurs if the dishes are left in for many hours after the cycle is over - eventually water droplets that are hanging on the top of the tub will eventually drop; otherwise, the dishes are very dry if taken out in a reasonable time after a cycle.

From Bosch's FAQ:

1. Why was my dishwasher wet when it first arrived at my home?

You may notice some water droplets inside the dishwasher when it arrives. Every Bosch dishwasher must pass 485 stringent quality checks- including running every single one with water - before leaving our factory. So you can rest assured that your dishwasher will be ready to take on whatever life throws your way.

2. How does condensation drying work? What can I do to maximize drying?

All Bosch dishwashers use a condensation drying process. Instead of utilizing a heating element at the bottom of a dishwasher, condensation drying involves a number of dishwashing elements that work together to efficiently dry your dishes. Condensation drying is more hygenic and energy efficient than drying with a heating element. Additionally, since Bosch dishwashers do not use a heating element, your plastics are safe in the lower rack.

Here's how it works:

- The final rinse uses high-temperature water to make the dishes very hot.
- The stainless steel tub of the dishwasher cools faster than your dishes because stainless steel cools faster than glass and porcelain.
- Condensation occurs when the moist air in the dishwasher comes into contact with the cooler stainless steel tub, and turns into water droplets. These water droplets trickle down to the bottom of the dishwashers and are drained.

Benefits of Condensation Dry

- Since it’s a closed system with no fan, the cleaning process is more sanitary.
- With no exposed heating element, plastic utensils and dishes places on the lower rack will not melt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2019 10:23PM by onthedownlow.
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 18, 2019 10:35PM
We love our Bosch. Best kitchen appliance purchase ever. Yes, some of the very clean dishes are stilll wet at the end.

Ours was made in North Carolina.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: February 18, 2019 11:01PM
space-time
C(-)ris

why? what is special about Bosch?

I don't think Costco sells Bosch, and I like that they have free delivery and installation, and I get 4 year warranty.

Amazingly quiet. Amazingly good at cleaning.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: February 19, 2019 06:04AM
OK, you convinced me to look at Bosch as well. The thing is I plan to sell the townhouse this Summer and the GE dishwasher is about 10-15 year old. it still works, but a new one would probably be very welcome once the house is on the market.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: February 19, 2019 06:33AM
C(-)ris

Bosch - will never buy again. Our last dishwasher was a Bosch, rated very highly by CR. Nothing but issues, all of which started after the warranty was up.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: February 19, 2019 06:42AM
we have a 12 yo version of the one on the right, except wood panel ready. We paid $1000 I think. It's KA badged.
The 3rd rack for silver is a good add.
I hate the hidden controls, we have that version. But they have never been an issue.
It has required some maintenance, but not what I would call repairs.
Maint I do myself, repairs I call in an expert.
Parts were less than $100. The closing mechanism and the food shred screen.

Except for our disappointingly finished cooktop, everything is Whirlpool or re-badged.

We just had a repair of the same vintage fridge. The sealed system failed, after 12 years. That was a repair I wouldn't and couldn't take on. Parts fully warrenteed, labor was not.

That service man said that Whirlpool was still the best of the lot as far as reliability, serviceability and parts acquisition; in the average home owner range (IE: not Wolf $$$$).

We had a couple of friends with Bosch dw's when we redid our kitchen. Both were very sorry. Everyones mileage will differ.
But parts and knowledgeable repair people are less available for Bosch around these parts, in spite of the moneyed class.
That said, it is a dozen years later.

Check out Dan O and the guys at App411 or other forums.
Compare prices of minor parts and major parts.

I've said it before here, and I'll continue to say, I'd still go Whirlpool.

Avoid the Korean stuff. Pure @#$%&. I'd buy refurbed or even used Whirlpool before I'd buy new anything else.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: TLB
Date: February 19, 2019 07:50AM
I purchased the Whirlpool WDT970SAHZ from Costco (third from the left), but at a better sale price than the current one. Wife loves it. It is extremely quiet and does a great job cleaning, albeit with a 3 hour wash cycle. The third rack is nice if you have a lot of storage lids from Tupperware, Rubbermaid or Pyrex containers, but those and a few utensils are all that fit. Costco install contractor was great and did a super job.
Posted by: pdq
Date: February 19, 2019 08:18AM
Another vote for Bosch. Ours is very quiet.
Posted by: wowzer
Date: February 19, 2019 09:13AM
Bosch. So quiet that we couldn’t believe it was on.

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 19, 2019 09:32AM
Space,

This is where Consumer Reports actually does a very good job in their reviews. Here's a video you might find interesting:

[www.consumerreports.org]

Bosch and KitchenAid top the ranks. My wife and I have a Miele but only got it because the appliance store gave us an _amazing_ deal on it. The Miele model was supposed to be a couple of steps up from the Bosch we'd went to buy in the first place. Would I buy it again? Maybe. It does a great job on the dishes. Dries them very well. Three racks, all adjustable. The top-most rack is for silverware and also comes in handy for plastic lids. However, it's noisier than the Electrolux we had previously and seems to tear through rinse-aid far more quickly.

As much as I love the idea of dishwashers that rely on condensation drying, I know all too many people who have Bosch dishwashers. The dishes come out nice and clean but not necessarily dry. They have to dry them manually. Or, remember to open the dishwasher shortly after the cycle completes, which helps them dry quickly.

So, given the choice, I'd get a machine with a heating element. Our Miele has one. So do the KitchenAid models. If we were to buy new, we'd get a KitchenAid. Some plastic items may still require drying - happens even when using the best dishwashers (with or without heating elements). At least the machine will do a great job cleaning the dishes, be very quiet and also dry them well. And, I'd want a machine with adjustable racks.

We had to change the height of the 3rd rack to accommodate a new set of dishes whose dinner plates had a larger diameter. The original height of the middle rack was fine for the old dinner plates but not high enough for the new ones. Raised the height of the rack, problem solved. Make life easier for yourself and bring some plates with you when checking out the machines.

Robert
Posted by: 3d
Date: February 19, 2019 09:33AM
Of the 4 Whirlpool dishwashers in that Costco link I choose the Miele dishwasher. In white.
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 19, 2019 12:24PM
The Miele models look nice but compared to the Bosch with the same specs was like buying a Porsche compared to a Toyota - you added hundreds of dollars for no clear new capabilities when compared head to head. But if we had been given a great discount as Robert M, we would have gone with Miele instead of Bosch.

Our Bosch also has a built-in water softener (a place for salt), and it DOES work well - we have very hard (for municipal source) water, keeps the calcium grunge from depositing on the dishes.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 19, 2019 12:36PM
Sekker,

Exactly. I think all of the top-rated machines will do a great job on dishes. It's really a question of features and price. I definitely wouldn't get a machine that lacks adjustable racks. The feature is surprisingly handy! Lots of different wash settings? Meh. 99% of the time we use the normal cycle and call it done.

Noise? Definitely want something quiet. We use our dishwasher each night. Our living room is adjacent to the kitchen. Neither my wife nor I would like to hear it running while we're relaxing for the evening after dinner and putting Little M to bed.

Gotta say, the Miele is built like a tank. Definitely feels like it's made to last a _very_ long time! apparently, they're also designed with durability in mind. Hope it lives up to our expectations.

Robert
Date: February 19, 2019 02:18PM
.....Juan Pablo has always done a great job.....washing.....and drying.......and adds the human factor......

Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: February 20, 2019 12:38PM
Bosch had a problem years ago where its lower cost models, which were rated highly for performance by Consumer reports, would self-destruct (too $$$ to be worth repairing) starting around 18 months after installation, based on the 'user reviews' posted on CR's website.

The more expensive models ($1000+) didn't have the same problems, or at least not so soon out-of-warranty.

And you can always air-dry...pop open the door after the cycle...we never use the heating element on our dishwasher for drying or boosting water temperature.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2019 12:39PM by Bill in NC.
Date: February 21, 2019 01:00PM
....Juan Pablo........

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 196
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020