advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Re: Traffic School Question: Is it OK to pass?
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 21, 2019 04:32PM
Robert M
Hi everyone,

There is actually nothing wrong with the question nor the picture provided with it. The answer is cut and dry as per the explanation.

Robert

You still believe this?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: February 21, 2019 05:06PM
The wording of the question is explicit.

The name of the section is not relevant.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 21, 2019 05:30PM
Space,

Yups. Unlike Lux, I do believe the section is relevant. The question is about lanes and line markers per the section. I learned the answer to this one in Driver's Ed in 1987.

Robert
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 21, 2019 05:37PM
Robert M
rz,

That's the thing. I'm not wrong and nothing anyone has offered demonstrates otherwise. People can interpret the question and the picture however they want but it doesn't matter. The question, picture and, just as importantly, the section dictate how you have to evaluate and the question, not just the picture and the question. Factor all three into the equation and the answer is apparent, regardless of whether or not you agree with it.

Robert

P.S. Deusx, I'd phrase it like this: they could have used a better image for the question, i.e. a picture with both cars in the same lane, moving in the same direction. 'course, then it'd be too easy...

Well, that's a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SCENARIO, isn't it?

It is what it is.
Date: February 21, 2019 05:40PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Robert M
rz,

That's the thing. I'm not wrong and nothing anyone has offered demonstrates otherwise. People can interpret the question and the picture however they want but it doesn't matter. The question, picture and, just as importantly, the section dictate how you have to evaluate and the question, not just the picture and the question. Factor all three into the equation and the answer is apparent, regardless of whether or not you agree with it.

Robert

P.S. Deusx, I'd phrase it like this: they could have used a better image for the question, i.e. a picture with both cars in the same lane, moving in the same direction. 'course, then it'd be too easy...

Well, that's a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SCENARIO, isn't it?

I don't think he will admit he was wrong smiling smiley
Posted by: GGD
Date: February 21, 2019 05:43PM
space-time

But he's the only one here that would get their answer scored as "correct" on the actual test.
Date: February 21, 2019 05:44PM
Robert M
Space,

Yups. Unlike Lux, I do believe the section is relevant. The question is about lanes and line markers per the section. I learned the answer to this one in Driver's Ed in 1987.

Robert

1) I agree that the cars cannot cross the solid double yellow line. Do you? (there is no driveway there)

2) I agree the cars can PASS EACH OTHER. Do you?

3) I agree that wording and pictures do not match and this is a very poorly formulated illogical question. Do you?

4) I agree there is no other car in the picture and the questions is not what could happen with another car outside this picture. Do you?

5) I agree we wasted way too much time on this nonsense. Do you?
Date: February 21, 2019 05:44PM
GGD
space-time

But he's the only one here that would get their answer scored as "correct" on the actual test.

LOL

EDIT: the irony is that for someone as verbose as Robert M, he would have to click a button. nothing to say/type. What a conflict!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2019 05:45PM by space-time.
Date: February 21, 2019 05:46PM
N-OS,

Nope. It wouldn't be a different scenario. The picture described in my P.S. would make the question so easy that it would be pointless to ask it.

Robert

P.S. Space, nope. Why would I do that? I'm correct, even if everyone disagrees with me. 'course, whoever is grading the test agrees with me, so the discussion is moot. smiling smiley
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: February 21, 2019 06:02PM
To be indelicate Robert M, I think it’s time for you to saddle up.
Date: February 21, 2019 06:45PM
Deaus,

Saddle up? Why? Because the people in this thread disagree with me? The interpretation everyone is offering never even crossed my mind. This isn't the first time people have disagreed with me. Won't be the last. So, I'll most definitely not saddle up. smiling smiley

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2019 06:46PM by Robert M.
Date: February 21, 2019 06:57PM
Maybe the drivers test in NY is different than the one the rest of us get.

It is what it is.
Date: February 21, 2019 07:09PM
N-OS,

Nope. I think everyone except for me is not really thinking about the reasoning behind the question. Vehicles traveling in east/west lanes are allowed to pass each other. I wouldn't expect a question about it to come up on any kind of driver's test. To ask if they could or could not on a driver's test would be to me absurd. Passing in a lane and line marker section of a driver's test? I would think a little deeper than what you see upon first glance in the picture, which is what I did when I saw it.

Robert
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 21, 2019 07:23PM
The actual and only question (bullet point 3) is correctly constructed for the image and the answer is correct.

•Is either car permitted to pass in this situation?

No, and we all know why.

The first two bullet points are general instructions for all the images that appear in that category. But as laid out in that image, those instructions appear to be part of the content of related to the question.

Had only the actual question (bullet point 3) appeared on the page with the image, we would [not] be having this thread. The instructions (bullet points 1 and 2) should have not been shown once the test questions started ], and not remained in the frame.

I think the page layout was akin to engineers writing instructions and not somebody who speaks User writing them.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2019 07:24PM by RAMd®d.
Date: February 21, 2019 07:24PM
Robert M
Hi everyone,

I stand by my post. The question is about passing another vehicle which is ahead of you. That is why there is actually nothing wrong with the picture. Neither driver can pass a car that is ahead of it because of the double-yellow line. It was immediately apparent to me when I saw the picture. 'course, there is a second reason, which is the vehicle in the lane going in the opposite direction. Ignore the double-yellow line and pass anyway and the vehicles will collide with each other.

Robert

Once again, if you did not see my previous answer: even if we assume there is a car somewhere ahead the road, we don't know if there is a solid yellow line or dashed yellow line where take over maneuver would occur. The question is about WHAT IS IN THIS PICTURE, not about what is in your head or mine.
Date: February 21, 2019 07:28PM
RAMd®d
The actual and only question (bullet point 3) is correctly constructed for the image and the answer is correct.

•Is either car permitted to pass in this situation?

No, and we all know why.

Same arguments as above (when I responded to Robert). You simply don't know how far ahead the 3rd car is and whether or not there is solid or dashed yellow line where one of these cars that we see would have to pass the 3rd car.

They should have shown a zoomed out picture with more cars. Then we would not be having this discussion.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 21, 2019 07:43PM
I kinda wish I didn't click on this thread
Date: February 21, 2019 07:49PM
Same arguments as above

No, not the same.

In this situation...

The double yellow line is there, now... Not somewhere ahead. And neither car can pass.

Now there may be more, different examples questioning whether or not you can pass. There may be the cars with a broken yellow line on one side, and the question may be 'which cars can pass?'

The answers might be:

1) Red
2) Blue
3) Red and Blue
4) Neither Red or Blue

There wouldn't be 'I can't tell because that little image won't let me see what's ahead' as a choice (hopefully). Or 'Neither car can change lanes because they'd crash and the teen texting in the red car would kill the baby in the blue car being driven by the man yelling at his wife'.

What you're shown is all you need to consider. What you don't need is extraneous text that only muddles the situation when it would be very easy to show it in an unambiguous manner.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Maybe...
Date: February 21, 2019 07:51PM
...this will end up as the second longest MFRing thread in the site's history!

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Date: February 21, 2019 09:47PM
RAM,

You've explained it quite well. The correct answer is (4) because of the double-yellow line. Basic Driver's Ed.

Robert
Date: February 21, 2019 10:14PM
Sure you can't CROSS the yellow line. Was that the question?
Posted by: Janit
Date: February 21, 2019 11:12PM
How is it the case that writing a clear question with a clear illustration makes it "too easy"? The point of the test is to evaluate a person's knowledge, not to tie them into knots over misdirection. Making a test "harder" does not necessarily make it better. What makes a test better is writing it so that it tests exactly what it is supposed to test.
Date: February 22, 2019 04:44AM
Janit,

True. To me, the question and picture presented met that standard.

Robert
Date: February 22, 2019 05:57AM
your standard is very low.
Date: February 22, 2019 06:05AM
Space,

I'd say the opposite. Most in this thread appeared to have misinterpreted the question, leading to a misunderstanding and an incorrect answer. Making the question easier lowers the standard. 'course, being a multiple choice question, it's easy in the first place and it was still misinterpreted.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2019 06:06AM by Robert M.
Date: February 22, 2019 06:16AM
so for a while we didn't even debate whether the cars could pass or not. We have been debating if this is a well written question or a poorly written question. My money is on the latter case.

if you think this is a well written question/illustration, fine, we gave the right to disagree. smiling smiley
Date: February 22, 2019 06:26AM
Space,

It seemed the point of the question was lost on many in the thread. Maybe the question was written in this manner intentionally and testing more than just knowledge of the law? Might it be possible it was testing attentiveness, which in itself is critical to driving? Probably not but something to think about.

Robert
Posted by: Sam3
Date: February 22, 2019 07:14AM
This is a poorly illustrated question, period.

It is incorrect to interpret the question, the question needs to addressed and answered at face value, not by what you think the question is asking. It clearly says "look at each image", well there is only one image, so that's a fail from the get-go. So, since there is only one image, what do we see? Two cars heading in opposite directions. Then the first statement, as well as the question, ask if the "car permitted to pass". It doesn't matter if it says each other or not, based on the illustration which has the directional arrows they either will pass each other or have to stop. There is no indication anywhere that one or the other of the cars wants to, needs to, or is planning on crossing the double yellow line.

If you look at just the information presented the answer has to be yes. You cannot interpret the question based on your assumptions on what the questioner is asking, you can only go by what information is given.

To test the knowledge properly, the illustration should have one car behind the other in one lane/direction only and the question reflect the situation, i.e. "can car B pass car A?" (or something like that).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2019 07:15AM by Sam3.
Date: February 22, 2019 07:42AM
We have all had the experience, I am sure, of confronting a badly written test question and feeling required to psych out the true intentions of the test writer in order to pass the test. This approach to test-taking is a survival skill, as navigating our way through the school system by passing the tests has been required of all of us. Unfortunately, this process can lead to a perversion of the proper function of tests, and often convinces people that the way to pass a test is to develop test-taking skill rather than developing actual knowledge.

If a test question seems easy, that means you know the answer. If you know the answer, you should pass the test.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2019 07:42AM by Janit.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: February 22, 2019 11:59AM
I love this thread so much.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: dk62
Date: February 22, 2019 12:23PM
rjmacs
Dennis S
DeusxMac
The question is incorrectly constructed for the given image.

This is the correct and most succinct reply. Any further discussion is a waste of time.

Agreed. DeusxMac nailed it.

Agreed. The section is irrelevant. The semantics of the question is clear: "permitted to pass the other," not "...another." How anyone can interpret it differently is beyond me.
Date: February 22, 2019 12:51PM
dk and Deus,

Please explain why the section is irrelevant? If nothing else, the section provides the topic(s) of the questions and, in this particular case, gives a significant clue about the proper answer.

Imagine you're taking the GMAT and you're in the Quantitative Reasoning section. Are you going to think and treat it as if it's the Integrated Reasoning or Verbal Reasoning sections? Of course not. You're going to tackle it in an appropriate manner. Just like a Driver's Test.

You're taking the Driver's Test and you're in the Lane and Lane Markers section. The questions (and their answers) will revolve around Lane and Lane Markers. If it was me, I'd think in terms of Lane and Lane Markers, not just the first thing that comes to mind about the question.

Robert
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: February 22, 2019 01:39PM
Robert M
dk and Deus,

Please explain why the section is irrelevant? If nothing else, the section provides the topic(s) of the questions and, in this particular case, gives a significant clue about the proper answer.

I never said the "Lanes and Line Markers" section head was "irrelevant"!

As others here have tried and tried to explain, the error in the format of this question is the very first general instruction; "Look at each image and decided whether each car is permitted to pass the other"

1. There are two cars in this image.

2. In this image is each car in this image permitted to pass the other car in this image?

Yes!

The instructions are so clearly incorrectly written, at least for this one example, that it's mystifying why you're so invested in denying this fact.
Date: February 22, 2019 01:50PM
Deus,

My mistake. DK said it was irrelevant, which is not the case.

My argument here is about the question and why the answer listed is correct, not so much the way the test designer wrote the question.

But, if you want to really get down to it, read the question again:

"Is either car permitted to pass in this situation?"

That is what you need to answer.

The answer is no and the reason for it is 100% clear in the image. You can't miss the double-yellow lines.

Everyone can muddle around this all the way but it really isn't difficult. It's basic reading comprehension and critical thinking.

That's the thing. The instructions aren't perfect by any means but a minimum of effort on the part of the test taker would make him/her determine the correct answer to the question. The reason I've stayed in this thread is because only RAM seems to want to recognize this. We're not talking rocket science here.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2019 03:15PM by Robert M.
Date: February 22, 2019 04:20PM
Robert M
Hi everyone,

I stand by my post. The question is about passing another vehicle which is ahead of you. That is why there is actually nothing wrong with the picture. Neither driver can pass a car that is ahead of it because of the double-yellow line. It was immediately apparent to me when I saw the picture. 'course, there is a second reason, which is the vehicle in the lane going in the opposite direction. Ignore the double-yellow line and pass anyway and the vehicles will collide with each other.

Robert

Ok Robert, I was going ot let this go, but if you insist...

The question is about passing another vehicle which is ahead of you.

I do not see another car. Do you? the question is about cars in this picture.

Look at each image and decide whether or not each car is permitted to pass the other (they don't say the other car, but it is well understood)

OK, assuming there is a car ahead of you. Big assumption.

Neither driver can pass a car that is ahead of it because of the double-yellow line

Where do you see double-yellow line ahead of you, where this virtual car is? I do not see any other car, and if it were, it would be outside the picture, and you simply don't know if there is double-yellow line at that location. You can ASSUME there double-yellow line is there.

So, you assume the question is about passing a 3rd or 4th car which is not in the picture, and you assume the double-yellow line continues outside the picture.

This is not how these tests work.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 22, 2019 04:59PM
....wow....so heated over a traffic school question........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: February 22, 2019 05:21PM
Space,

This is exactly how the tests work. You see two cars and a double-yellow line in the picture. Traffic law says you can't cross the double-yellow line unless turning into a driveway of some kind. That's means neither can pass (anything else). That's all you need to know to answer the question. Everything is fluff.

What is so difficult to understand about this? Please explain. smiling smiley

Robert
Date: February 22, 2019 05:31PM
You can pass the other car shown in the picture without crossing the yellow line.

What is so difficult to understand about this? Please explain. smiling smiley
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 22, 2019 05:32PM
GGD
Filliam H. Muffman
Please note the state where the test is given, and provide a link to the state drivers test material online.

It was an online AARP Driver Safety course configured for New York State.

[www.aarpdriversafety.org]

You can't really see the course materials without signing up and taking the test.

I only asked for state drivers test materials. Even if it's a third party, they should be basing questions on the state drivers test materials. I am expecting the official state pamphlet/practice-test would have less confusing language and maybe give a hint at what the correct answer should be.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: GGD
Date: February 22, 2019 06:01PM
Filliam H. Muffman
GGD
Filliam H. Muffman
Please note the state where the test is given, and provide a link to the state drivers test material online.

You can't really see the course materials without signing up and taking the test.

I only asked for state drivers test materials. Even if it's a third party, they should be basing questions on the state drivers test materials. I am expecting the official state pamphlet/practice-test would have less confusing language and maybe give a hint at what the correct answer should be.

OK, I googled it for you, here's some links to the manual and practice tests

[dmv.ny.gov]

The section on passing

[dmv.ny.gov]

And the quiz for passing

[process.dmv.ny.gov]

There are no images of cars on roadways in the passing section or quiz.

The AARP Course seemed to be more universal, but at some points it would put up a map for you to click on your state to see any state specific rules or laws. I recall that they had a map for the School Bus rules.

And note this AARP course was not a drivers license test, it was a course to reduce insurance rates, and to reduce points on your license from moving violations (commonly called "traffic school").

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2019 06:02PM by GGD.
Date: February 22, 2019 06:16PM
GGD

And the quiz for passing

[process.dmv.ny.gov]

I took the quiz and I got a this question wrong.

In my state it is allowed to pass the school bus if it is on the other side of a divided highway.

EDIT: reading the question again and reviewing the law, I admit I was wrong. You can pass if there is a safety island or raised median.

When I am convinced I am wrong, I admit it. But I still believe the questions that started this tread is wrong, poorly formulated and if you take it at face value, the cars can pass each other.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2019 06:20PM by space-time.
Date: February 22, 2019 07:01PM
Space,

If it was in a section about Passing, you'd have something. That's not the case. It's in a section about Lanes and Line Markers. When taking tests, the section is something you need to take into consideration as you're evaluating the questions and answers provided to you. That's why what you're suggesting is incorrect.

Like you, I'll admit I'm wrong. I'm not wrong this time, regardless of how you construe it. smiling smiley

Robert
Date: February 22, 2019 07:14PM
Exactly, it is about lanes and markers.

each car can pass the other car shown in the picture without crossing the yellow line.

The questions is not about what cars might be ahead of you as you assume. The caption clearly says "look at each image and decide whether or not each car is permitted to pass the other"

So, let me ask you this:

is the blue car allowed to pass the red car?
is the red car allowed to pass the blue car?
do you see any other cars?
is this question about anything else except these 2 cars and the solid double solid yellow line dividing the road?
Can the the cars get by, PASS EACH OTHER, without crossing the line?
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 22, 2019 07:43PM
GGD
Filliam H. Muffman
GGD
Filliam H. Muffman

OK, I googled it for you, here's some links to the manual and practice tests

[dmv.ny.gov]

The section on passing

[dmv.ny.gov]

And the quiz for passing

[process.dmv.ny.gov]

There are no images of cars on roadways in the passing section or quiz.

The AARP Course seemed to be more universal, but at some points it would put up a map for you to click on your state to see any state specific rules or laws. I recall that they had a map for the School Bus rules.

And note this AARP course was not a drivers license test, it was a course to reduce insurance rates, and to reduce points on your license from moving violations (commonly called "traffic school").

That changes things a little bit. As you noted, the NYS manual/test never references a diagram like in the AARP test. Hopefully the AARP specific materials for the test give more of a hint on the answer. The NYS materials specifically reference "passing a vehicle" as moving into another lane to go around a vehicle traveling the same direction. It never mentions passing by a vehicle traveling the opposite direction in the lane on the other side of the road/double yellow line. This defines the answer as 'you are not allowed to pass.' You might want to send them a comment that you thought the question is confusing because the diagram does not relate to the question as well as it could.

AARP says the scores on the test do not affect getting the certificate for taking the course, so it should not be much of an issue.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: February 23, 2019 01:10AM
Space,

One way or the other, assumptions must be made about the picture and the nature of the questions. Now you're making the assumption that the question is about just the cars that are side-by-side. Mine is based on the laws governing Lane and Lane Markers, which is the basis of the question. What aspect of motor vehicle law is the basis of your answer? That's really the heart of things.

Robert
Date: February 23, 2019 06:07AM
Is the dress black or blue? We’ll never know.

It is what it is.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 23, 2019 02:33PM
.....can you use this to pass......gas.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: February 23, 2019 08:53PM
space-time
GGD

And the quiz for passing

[process.dmv.ny.gov]

I took the quiz and I got a this question wrong.

In my state it is allowed to pass the school bus if it is on the other side of a divided highway.

EDIT: reading the question again and reviewing the law, I admit I was wrong. You can pass if there is a safety island or raised median.

When I am convinced I am wrong, I admit it. But I still believe the questions that started this tread is wrong, poorly formulated and if you take it at face value, the cars can pass each other.

I made the same mistake. Presumably the study materials would clearly define the difference between a divided highway and other variants of road or highway, and anyone who had studied properly beforehand would recognize the correct answer.
Date: February 25, 2019 01:03PM
The school bus question is very cut and dry, at least here in CA: When the red lights on a school bus are flashing (or its STOP sign is deployed), one may not pass the bus from either direction. I learned that in my driver's ed course back in the '80s (back when they still taught it in 10th grade!).

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 104
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018