advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone cooking Japanese? FOOD that is, not People you silli characters.
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 24, 2019 09:27AM
We learned to make Sushi a few weeks ago. We made sushi at home twice since. It comes out pretty good; we still are learning how to roll it tight, but in general the results are great and the cost of ingredients is a fraction of what we would pay at the Sushi restaurant. The only issue is that to buy Sushi grade fish, we need to drive about 40 min, so for now we stick to vegetarian ingredients (mango, cucumber, avocado). There are Asian stores here selling fresh Salmon, but as far as I understand it was not tested for parasites, so it should be cooked. Yes, you could use it for Sushi, but then it's a Russian roulette game which I don't want to play.

Yesterday I searched recipes for Miso soup. I went 3 blocks to the Asian market and it took me 20 min to find the ingredients. Once I got home, the Miso soup was done in 15 min an it came out just as good as at the Sushi restaurant. I will make it again today, family loves it. It is probably one of the easiest things you could make.

So what's next? I will try to make better Sushi, and once in a while I will drive to get Sushi grade fish. Or maybe I locate another source a little closes.

I am curious what other Japanese Dishes are easy to cook. What is your experience? Who is in Japan, right now, Drew? LaserKun? Anyone else?

Thanks

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2019 12:00PM by space-time.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone cooking Japanese?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 24, 2019 09:43AM
....what about chicken Teriyaki.....a staple and easy to make......don't forget to try matcha green tea......high in anti-oxidants......doesn't easily mix but.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 24, 2019 09:44AM
There is always Ramen, that is pretty easy.

And considering the Japanese seem to eat anything that has been within 50-miles of water, just wander out to the local pond, or go by a pet store.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Rolando
Date: February 24, 2019 09:51AM
Ombligo
And considering the Japanese seem to eat anything that has been within 50-miles of water, just wander out to the local pond, or go by a pet store.

smiley-laughing001

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: February 24, 2019 09:57AM
.....people.....???

....no never cook Japanese people.....

Posted by: Drew
Date: February 24, 2019 10:25AM
The key to Japanese food is the rice, cooked properly.

Do you know curry rice? Very simple, but a staple in homes throughout Japan. Grilled fish, with miso soup and of course rice is a basic.
Date: February 24, 2019 10:27AM
.....not Japanese but coconut rice is easy to make and delicious and a nice twist on 'regular' rice....

Posted by: TheTominator
Date: February 24, 2019 10:30AM
I've made sushi a few times recently (not with raw fish) and had it come out very well.
I've also made kimbap. (I've been teaching myself Korean cooking and ventured into sushi at TheTominatrix's suggestion since I had the essential ingredients at hand.)

The only ingredients that were harder to find were the nori sheets and the rice wine vinegar.

Since I'm not trying to be extra traditional, I've used (cooked up) frozen breaded butterfly shrimp or shrimp tempura, cold imitation crab or imitation lobster, avocado, cucumber, toasted sesame seeds, and whatever struck my fancy. The combination of the warm/hot shrimp tempura along with the cool/cold other ingredients added a nice dimension. Of course, this has to be consumed freshly made for the temperature difference to work.

For the dipping sauce, I've been using the Kikkoman Ponzu soy sauce.
TheTominatrix made up a bunch of more exotic sauces, but I have a simpler palate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2019 10:32AM by TheTominator.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: February 24, 2019 11:56AM
I cooked one the other day..there was some complaining but I didn't understand a word of it and eventually it stopped..was glad about that, couldn't hear the TV.
Re: Anyone cooking Japanese? FOOD that is, not People you silli characters.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 24, 2019 12:04PM
SABA!!!!!!!
Posted by: numbered
Date: February 24, 2019 12:42PM
To get much less healthy, the fast food is Tonkatsu. Basically deep fried breaded pork parts of varying types. Sometimes chicken substitutes.

Take a thin piece of loin, salt and pepper, flour it, dip in egg, cover with Panko and fry. Serve with rice and a pile of Napa cabbage (and some pickles if you can find them). The trickiest part will be to find the katsu sauce. Kikkoman has an acceptable version at some markets
Date: February 24, 2019 01:10PM
.....Takoyaki......!!

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 24, 2019 01:28PM
I used to cook Teriyaki chicken thighs. Prep in morning and let marinate while at work. Start the rice, pop chicken in the oven for 40 - 50 minutes and you have dinner. Plenty of recipes don't even need a marinate period.

If you have a slow/multi cooker, there should be dozens of meals with Japanese flavors.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: February 24, 2019 02:36PM
I'm crazy about Japanese curry. Delicious comfort food for cold winter days.

You'll find the cubes (hot or mild) at most large grocery stores. Just lightly brown some meat and veggies, and throw in the water and cubes of dehydrated sauce. I like to just lightly brown some boneless pork chops for a bit of umami, then dice them and throw them in the slow cooker with water and sauce cubes for a couple of hours—but you can also just do it in a skillet in about 30 min. Serve over rice, of course.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: February 24, 2019 03:23PM
Soba noodles, hot or cold, dipped in tsuyu with wasabi and bits of nori. MMMMmmmmm.

Where's Drew?

Posted by: dk62
Date: February 25, 2019 01:20PM
Japanese food is extremely varied and I do not even remember seeing teriyaki anywhere on the menus in Japan. Being from the Old World, you could also try motsunabe, I love it, but most people in the States will not go near it.

Regarding fish and parasites, farmed salmon is generally parasite-free and much safer for sushi than wild-caught one. Any fish will be parasite-free after a couple of days in the freezer, but the taste will depend on how quickly and well you can freeze it.
Date: February 25, 2019 02:59PM
....soylent green.....is people......!!!!

Posted by: rz
Date: February 27, 2019 08:54AM
I spent three weeks in Japan a few months ago. Lots of great food. One thing that stood out was the fact that shrimp, which is considered a delicacy here and is priced accordingly, is cheap over there. One of my favorite places to go for "fast food" was the "conveyor belt sushi" place. Each plate was 100 yen (about 88 cents at the time). Had ramen several times. Also had curry a few times, but it's not my favorite. The guy I was traveling with loved it though, so we went a couple of times.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 275
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018