advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Reminder for traveling abroad with slow or no cellular data: Download Google Map for an area ahead of time
Posted by: Winston
Date: February 25, 2019 01:25PM
A reminder that on the Google Maps iOS app you can download a map for a given area over WiFi (or cellular, if you turn that on), then not need a data connection to use the map. You pick the size of the area you want to download. Maps automatically expire after 29 days, but you can also delete one manually. This turns an iPhone or an iPad into a stand-alone GPS device for the given area.*

This is really handy when traveling abroad where, even if you have cellular data, the connection may be slow. Once downloaded, there is no delay in using Google Maps to find things within the area you've downloaded.

To download a map for a given area, on the iOS app:
1. Go to Google Maps
2. Tap the three bars on the upper left
3. Select "Offline maps"
4. choose "Local" or "Custom map" (I always use "Custom map")
5. select the area you want to download
6. tap the Download button

If you are on a tour to several cities, or, say a Caribbean cruise, you can download maps ahead of time (assuming you have room on your phone) so you won't need a data connection (WiFi or cellular) to use the maps.

Can also be useful in areas of the U.S. where you may have weak cellular coverage.

Note that Google Maps automatically downloads the route chosen when you get directions from one place to another, but only along a narrow band on either side of that route. I think it also only keeps that data while it's in use. Downloading a larger area gives you more flexibility for detours.

*Note that WiFi only iPads don't have GPS, but can use a Bluetooth GPS device to add that ability. See:
[kb.hemamaps.com]

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Reminder for traveling abroad with slow or no cellular data: Download Google Map for an area ahead of time
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 25, 2019 01:44PM
Those Bluetooth GPS devices are only maybe $20 cheaper than getting GPS on an iPad from the get go. They're probably not as reliable as built in GPS, and certainly more of a PITA to use.
Re: Reminder for traveling abroad with slow or no cellular data: Download Google Map for an area ahead of time
Posted by: davester
Date: February 25, 2019 02:19PM
There are plenty of different mapping apps that allow you to download maps for offline use. My preference is Here WeGo for regular use and Gaia GPS for absolutely awesome topo and trail maps.

Also note that the bluetooth GPS devices (especially the Bad Elf) have way better accuracy than any iPad or phone.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: February 25, 2019 02:54PM
In Japan and South Korea, downloads of Google or Here maps are not allowed.

Partly for that reason, and partly because it displays everything in Roman characters, I mostly use Maps.me on my phone when traveling, and download the regions I'll be visiting before leaving my home Wi-Fi. Maps.me uses Open Street Map data, which is crowdsourced and so unrestricted. Sometimes it's better than Google in less-developed countries. Google is best for business listings, I find, while Here is best for navigation, at least in North America and Western Europe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2019 02:58PM by Mr Downtown.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 25, 2019 04:02PM
......what about "broads".....traveling a....broad........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: February 25, 2019 05:13PM
davester
There are plenty of different mapping apps that allow you to download maps for offline use. My preference is Here WeGo for regular use and Gaia GPS for absolutely awesome topo and trail maps.

Also note that the bluetooth GPS devices (especially the Bad Elf) have way better accuracy than any iPad or phone.

agree smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 84
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018