advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Can I use an old speedlight “for Canon” universally?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: February 28, 2019 11:08AM
Tempted to say yes since I’m aware some people use old Nikon SB-26’s this way on other brand cameras. Obviously I don’t care about TTL.

So I guess my question is regarding the contacts on the “Canon” speedlight vs something else, like Panasonic or Fuji cameras. Is there some electrical conflict that would hurt either? I never tried using it when I had a Canon DSLR (I had a modern Canon speedlight).

The flash is a Sunpak auto 433D. Yeah, from the film days. It has a mechanical calculator. You set the ASA ISO, select a distance range and it tells you what aperture to use. Assuming you set the sync speed right it handles the appropriate output using its sensor. And its got a full manual mode where the mechanical calculator has scales you line up for aperature/distance, with your chosen power level being the variable tou manipulate there.

Bonus questions:
Is there an inexpensive hot shoe adapter + cord that would let me shoot off-camera? Or is there an inexpensive adapter that would turn the flash into a (reliable) slave, fired from the camera’s pop up flash (if desired)?

Can’t spend real money on this since cheap universal flashes are well under $100 today.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Can I use an old speedlight “for Canon” universally?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 28, 2019 12:01PM
The only possible problem I can think of is the flash voltage on an older flash.

On an old film camera, there is a mechanical switch in the camera that the voltage from the flash gets routed through.

On a modern camera, even some film cameras, flash voltage is routed through the camera electronically. If you use a high voltage flash with a new camera, you will damage this flash circuitry inside the camera.
Date: February 28, 2019 12:17PM
Interesting. I'll do some more research.
Posted by: MEG
Date: February 28, 2019 12:22PM
What Free said - you have to be wary of the flash (trigger) voltage. For instance, most of the point&shoot canons and Rebels the trigger voltage must be a max of 6V. With the "pro" bodies (5D, 1D, etc) i've read they can handle up 250V (ymmv, don't take my word as gospel, yadda yadda yadda).

I did find a page that said the Sunpak 433D was measured at 4-14V (http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html)

If the camera you want to use it on can safely handle more than 6V, it should work fine.
Date: February 28, 2019 12:39PM
Thanks!

I also learned that a slave adapter can be very inexpensive ($10) to safely trigger the flash from the camera's built-in flash. Of course, there would be plenty of times I wouldn't want to do that, as the built-in would be trying to handle exposure on its own, unaware of the additional light? ... and if I put something over the flash to reduce its output the external might not fire ...

I also see the safe-sync (from Wein and others) but as that approaches $30-$50 I'm better off not bothering with this old flash.

I might try a cheap slave anyway if we're only talking $10. Seems I could use it with any flash old or new.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 28, 2019 02:01PM
I'm tempted to say that I think a lot of that voltage concern is internet legend. I've used my k vivitar 283s with Nikon and Lumix cameras and not noticed anything weird.
Date: February 28, 2019 02:37PM
According to that old site mentioned above (botzila) only the post-1987 283's are safe to use for digital cams that can't take high voltages.

I think that's part of the appeal of the old SB-26 being recommended by The Strobist and others. It only sends back around 2-5v.
Posted by: DP
Date: February 28, 2019 03:28PM
There was a device called a Wein Safe Sync for reducing the voltage. Not sure if it's still around...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 211
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020