advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
POLL: How often do you answer non-Contact phone calls now?
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: March 01, 2019 09:51AM
Poll
With the rise of robot/sales calls, I answer non-Contact calls:
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
70 votes were received.
Never 45

64%
Sometimes 22

31%
Always 3

4%
I don't get a lot of robot/sales calls, whataya talking about? 0

0%

With the massive [uptick in robocalls[(https://www.kxnet.com/news/bismarck-news/robocalls-jump-46-percent-in-2018-you-ve-probably-noticed/1818059429_ (live or recorded, doesn't matter), I'm curious how you MacResourcers handle the calls. My line of work has people calling that aren't in my Contacts, so not answering may mean that real people get my VM, which isn't the end of the world. It's gotten so bad for me, that I'm now 90% never answering non-named phone calls. Curious how it is for you all.

Double curious: almost all my robocalls are live people, all from India (or thereabouts), and all certain that I've purchased @#$%& at some point in time.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: POLL: How often do you answer non-Contact phone calls now?
Posted by: wurm
Date: March 01, 2019 10:04AM
I live in Do Not Disturb mode. Anyone I'd ever want need to hear from in my Contacts list is on Emergency Bypass. I only wish there were a way to actually block numbers in my blocked list so that they didn't even go to voice mail.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: March 01, 2019 10:05AM
I will answer if it looks like it might be a non-contact call I am expecting. Otherwise, I don't answer.

Told my wife I wanted to be cremated.
She made me an appointment for Tuesday.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 01, 2019 10:09AM
Tuqqer,

Always. I get both business and personal calls on my cell and office numbers. Sometiems they are numbers I don't recognize. I'd rather pick it up and deal with a telemarketer than ignore the call and possibly miss speaking with customer/vendor/business related communication. 'course, if it's a telemarketer and a computerized voice, I'll hang up. If it's a live person and he/she is polite and responsive to my polite "we're not interested", I'll be respond in kind. If the telemarketer is pushy and/or an %$#$#, then all bets are off and the fun begins.

Robert
Posted by: Bernie
Date: March 01, 2019 10:29AM
I can't find my phone in time to answer. How do you change the number of rings? Maybe they just hang up early.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 01, 2019 10:30AM
I will answer calls from my current local area codes, my current cell number is from a out-of-region area code. I will flat out not answer any call from my area code and prefix unless it's a known contact number. 99% of calls from numbers with my prefix are telemarketers.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: March 01, 2019 10:33AM
Robert M
...If the telemarketer is pushy and/or an %$#$#, then all bets are off and the fun begins.

Robert
This got me cracking up. I do the same thing: if I have a few minutes to goof around, oh man, my range of games goes from acting/playing along, to downright psychopath killer mode.

It'd be fun to exchange game ideas. Well, maybe not the psycho games.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Date: March 01, 2019 10:41AM
wurm
I live in Do Not Disturb mode. Anyone I'd ever want need to hear from in my Contacts list is on Emergency Bypass. I only wish there were a way to actually block numbers in my blocked list so that they didn't even go to voice mail.

I fear that I (and many others) are headed to exactly this strategy. Unless technology smashes this pest.

Date: March 01, 2019 10:44AM
Tuqqer,

I've got a slew of them. My three favorites are:

1. Angry foreman, polite on the phone but screaming and cursing at the top of his lungs at an imaginary employee who's loafing around the warehouse.

2. Old man Robert, who is hard of hearing, somewhat senile and, while on the phone, is relaying the details of the conversation to his wife, all the while misunderstanding or misconstruing everything the telemarketer says to him.

3. Toddler Robert who, in a sweet voice, repeats what the telemarketer says. If the telemarketer becomes rude, toddler exclaims, "You're rude. I'm telling my daddy on you."

Bonus voice: Answer in a sweet, upbeat voice, "Chuck's S&M shop. Hooooooooow can we hurt you?"

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2019 10:47AM by Robert M.
Date: March 01, 2019 10:54AM
Tuqqer,

Just got one. It was from "Public power". So, in between tapping the phone with a plastic jar of McCormick Crushed Red Pepper, I asked him to clarify the name of the company. Apparently, the caller didn't like the tapping of the plastic jar or when I kept saying, "I can't understand you. You said you're from Pubic Power?"

Robert
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: March 01, 2019 10:57AM
Filliam H. Muffman
I will answer calls from my current local area codes, my current cell number is from a out-of-region area code. I will flat out not answer any call from my area code and prefix unless it's a known contact number. 99% of calls from numbers with my prefix are telemarketers.

I have the exact same setup. After two-years, the calls from"my area code and prefix" are now very rare.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Date: March 01, 2019 11:06AM
MrNoBody
Filliam H. Muffman

I have the exact same setup. After two-years, the calls from"my area code and prefix" are now very rare.

This is actually brilliant. How did you all set this up on your iPhone?

Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: March 01, 2019 11:16AM
Unfortunately, there's still a monthly charge for Caller ID where I live, so I have no way of knowing who's calling. It's enormously frustrating.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: March 01, 2019 11:21AM
modelamac
I will answer if it looks like it might be a non-contact call I am expecting. Otherwise, I don't answer.
Yup. It has to be from select area codes or a prearranged call back of some kind.
Posted by: jims
Date: March 01, 2019 11:35AM
I got so tired of the robo calls that I set everyone in my contact list that I would want to talk to a ringtone and made a silent ringtone for the main one. ATT now has an app for this that helps too.

jims
Posted by: JPK
Date: March 01, 2019 12:03PM
I pay for NoMoRobo and T-mobile now tags calls as "Scam Likely".

I am answering less and less but the calls are becoming more & more frequent.

JPK
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 01, 2019 12:03PM
How often?

Almost never.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 01, 2019 12:08PM
.....only if you call me, maybe......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: tortoise
Date: March 01, 2019 12:21PM
Just a FYI on this subject, Verizon as of today is now offering their formally $2.99/month call filtering for free to all their customers. Since ATT and others already have free filters I guess Verizon saw the light and needed to keep up with the competition. Available on the App store under Verizon Call filtering, states it is a free thirty day trial but as of March 1 it is free so they told me to call in at the end of the month to ensure they do not automatically start charging. (not much faith in their own systems, LOL)
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 01, 2019 12:24PM
tuqqer
MrNoBody
Filliam H. Muffman

I moved after buying the phone (it's an Android). I think it would be easy to do this by purchasing the phone at a store in a different area code. I am not sure how Apple assigns phone numbers, whether they do it by your residence location for the credit card registered in iTunes or by the retail location where you pick it up.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: wurm
Date: March 01, 2019 12:37PM
If my existing system weren't working okay for me, I'd probably try WideProtect again. I remember getting it when it first came out and frankly I can't remember why I decided to stop using it.
Posted by: numbered
Date: March 01, 2019 01:10PM
In 2016, Timothy Noah at Slate talked about his 'naked' rule for making phone calls:

Calling somebody on the phone used to be a perfectly ordinary thing to do. You called people you knew well, not so well, or not at all, and never gave it a second thought. But after the Great Texting Shift of 2007, a phone call became a claim of intimacy. Today if I want to phone someone just to chat, I first have to consider whether the call will be viewed as intrusive. My method is to ask myself, “Have I ever seen this person in the nude?” The sighting doesn’t have to be (indeed, seldom is) recent. Nor is it necessary that I remember it. I need only deduce that, sometime or other, I must have seen this person naked. That clears phone calls to a wife or girlfriend, to children, to parents, to siblings, to old flames, to former roommates from college, and very few others.
Date: March 01, 2019 01:26PM
Tortoise,

I checked one of the family Verizon FIOS accounts. It's a member that has Verizon's digital phone service. Apparently, Verizon includes Nomorobo as a part of the service at no charge. It's active on the account. Yet, that line is still inundated by SPAM calls to the point that the family member no longer even answers the phone. So much for blocking unwanted calls. Maybe the Verizon Wireless version works better.

Robert
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 01, 2019 01:51PM
I use mynumber on my cell, and it does a good job of blocking most of the garbage. I went from one spam call every 5 minutes to one every couple of hours. I wish Ooma was better.

Ultimately I want the US phone system to reject ALL caller ID spoofed calls. That should kill 99% of them. Until they find a way around the blocks.
Posted by: tortoise
Date: March 01, 2019 01:58PM
Robert M
Tortoise,

I checked one of the family Verizon FIOS accounts. It's a member that has Verizon's digital phone service. Apparently, Verizon includes Nomorobo as a part of the service at no charge. It's active on the account. Yet, that line is still inundated by SPAM calls to the point that the family member no longer even answers the phone. So much for blocking unwanted calls. Maybe the Verizon Wireless version works better.

Robert

Well I installed it this morning around 8am and it has already blocked two calls so it seems to work OK so far. I already had the free versions of Hiya & Mr Number installed but still some got through and I refuse to pay any additional monthly fee for the privilege of not being annoyed by these scum sucking bottom feeders that are essentially turing our digital devices into a method of torture similar to the old Chinese proverb of "Death by 1000 cuts"
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 01, 2019 04:15PM
If a call comes in from a city/area code I don't know - never. If it is from my area code and my prefix - never.

Honestly if it isn't in my contacts - then I only answer by mistake.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: March 01, 2019 04:19PM
tugger -
When I first got service with T-Mobile on line, it let me choose the primary area
the phone would be used in. iirc, you can tell the telco what area code you
want for your device regardless of where you live.
You can also get a free GoogleVoice # in another A/C and then port that to
your wireless device.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: sekker
Date: March 01, 2019 05:12PM
RAMd®d
How often?

Almost never.

When I do, it’s always a mistake if I don’t know the number.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: March 02, 2019 10:00AM
You forgot an option that applies to me. grinning smiley

I do now more than I used to. For years it was pretty much contact list only. But now my Pixel has a screening service and caller ID. So when a bike shop called me to say a part was in, I knew it was them from caller ID even though they weren't in my contacts.

For other numbers not in my contacts, I hit the screen button and then answer if it's legit.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 02, 2019 04:05PM
A choice of "Very Rarely" was needed. If I happen to be expecting a call, I might answer an unknown number (but often still don't).
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 05, 2019 06:18PM
....none if you have contact dermatitis........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 269
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018