advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Radon and finishing the basement
Posted by: pbarra1
Date: January 19, 2007 05:47PM
My new home was built with radon mitigation measures and I want to do some work in the basement. Can I shoot nails from my powdered acuated nailer into the floor of my basement. There is a plastic membrane under the cement which is vented out the roof. If I shoot nails will it puncture the membrane and allow radon in. Any advice?

TIA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Radon and finishing the basement
Posted by: papercup
Date: January 19, 2007 05:54PM
Install a subfloor w/ the sleepers glued (construction adhesive) to the floor?

Or simply glue the 2x4's right to the floor, assuming it is clean.

I would ask at a builders forum before I made any major moves.

Are you getting a permit? They might know.
Posted by: billb
Date: January 19, 2007 06:09PM
If you finish the basement, do you have to put in wired smoke alarms ?

They just made that code, here.
That and a minimum floor to ceiling height.

And yeah, I'd use adhesive.
Posted by: davester
Date: January 19, 2007 07:19PM
pbarra1
There is a plastic membrane under the cement which is vented out the roof. If I shoot nails will it puncture the membrane and allow radon in. Any advice?TIA

That will definitely compromise the radon barrier. It might not leak right away, but eventually the movement of the different materials will probably cause it to leak. You need to find some other method such as the adhesive mentioned above..

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: goosegunner
Date: January 20, 2007 10:40AM
No way the nails will go that deep!!

Minimum floor thickness would be around 3" should be 3-1/2" If you shoot the nails through the bottom plate you would most likely use

2-1/2' - 3" fasteners to shoot through
1-1/2" bottom plate
Plus you would be also using construction adhesive as the main holding power to fasten the bottom plate. It adds strength and reduces vibration when closing doors.

Just make sure and use treated bottom plate.

gg
Date: January 20, 2007 11:27AM
Hmmm. Perhaps I misread the post. I assumed that pbarra1 knew that he would be firing nails all the way through the membrane. Do you know for sure how thick the slab is? In some basement areas they only put in a thin "rat proofing" layer of concrete over such membranes.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: January 20, 2007 12:29PM
Maybe so on the thickness, never heard of that thin of layer for rat proofing. Just speaking of floors around our area.

Not to create fear, but with the amount of fasteners that are needed in conjunction with adhesive(not many), maybe 5 to 6 per 10 feet.

there are probably that many or more holes already present. Think grade stakes, walking on plastic while finishing, and many other ways the membrane could get punctured during construction.

Another option would be to use anchor bolts and don't penetrate the concrete completely. Would be a lot harder to keep things in line though.

gg
Posted by: pbarra1
Date: January 20, 2007 12:45PM
Thanks all -

I expected that the nails would not go so deep as to puncture the membrane but wanted to consider the worst case scenario. Perhaps there was an area where the slab was unusually thin and it was to happen. I will get a permit and I always use construction adhesive under a treated sole plate. Even after all these years I am amazed at the rapidity of responses and the knowledge base that is demonstrated on this forum (and the old site).
Date: January 20, 2007 03:08PM
goosegunner
there are probably that many or more holes already present. Think grade stakes, walking on plastic while finishing, and many other ways the membrane could get punctured during construction.

In my business (environmental cleanup and mitigation) we fire contractors who are that sloppy. If the membrane was put in properly then it will not have been punctured.

Date: January 20, 2007 03:36PM
My point was, I doubt very highly that there could possibly be no holes in a membrane. In theory yes, but in reality doubtful. We are talking a whole basement slab area, the entire perimeter, and around any protrusions in the slab(plumbing).

Then consider the fact that if you could possibly drive a nail completely through 3+ inches of concrete. You might end up with a hole less than 1/8". Needing say 5 to 6 nails per ten feet to secure the plate into the glue until it dries. Adds up to a very small surface area. Even less if the nail is still in the hole it created.

gg
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 322
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018