advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I wanna sous vide!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 04, 2019 07:23PM
I just saw an episode of America's Test Kitchen showing sous vide kit and how-to's with a demo of cook steak and poaching eggs.

Brilliant! Yummy!

I like eggs fried and poached, but poaching is a bit of a pain, and I can never get the eggs perfect, consistently.

And steak! I like steak rare on the inside and med-well on the outside. But unless it's a really good cut of meat, rare is a little chewy. Tasty, but chewy.

Sous vide seems to answer those issues for me. Alex Lindsay is a big proponent of sous vide and talks about it often on MacBreak Weekly.

His pick of the Annova Precision Cooker came in second to the Joule Sous Vide.

ATK made great, perfect poached eggs at 167ºF for 12min. Perfect for me, anyway and really, that's what's important.

They cooked the steak at 130º for 1.5-3hrs., hard limits according to them. Then it was seared about 60s per side, and it look very, very edible!

Yum!

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I wanna sous vide!
Posted by: August West
Date: March 04, 2019 07:32PM
Been cooking sous vide for many years and highly recommend it. Haven't done eggs, but have seen that as a favorite. I cook my best steaks and chops sous vide. Did some 12 hour short ribs that came out great.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 04, 2019 07:35PM
I just saw one today at the local ReStore thrift shop - brand new $60 (no idea what brand)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 04, 2019 07:50PM
I bought one a couple of years back and have yet to try it out. Every few weekends I remind myself I ought to run down and get nice steak... and then I don't. Perhaps you've inspired me to do it this weekend!

IIRC, 130 degrees is the cooking temperature for a rare steak and 135 degrees is the cooking temperature for a medium-rare, yes?

It is what it is.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 04, 2019 08:44PM
I should sous vide a steak - but I'm fairly certain that reverse sear is likely to be more satisfying - [www.seriouseats.com]

It might produce the result you're looking for.

Fried eggs - [www.seriouseats.com]

My wife thought I was crazy for looking up how to fry eggs but now sings my praises.

I'll have to try the poaching method you mentioned.

I like doing beets and carrots sous vide. I've had a hard time roasting beets. Carrots I usually roast because its easy.

I have the Annova Precision Cooker. You can pick it up pretty cheap and it does a great job. The Joule Sous Vide has some advantages but its up to you to decide if they're worth the price difference.

If you get the sous vide and enjoy it, you'll end up accessorizing a bit. Its nice to have a container and lid made for it. Also nice to have something that helps to keep the food submerged. Oh, also nice to have a vacuum sealer.

Posted by: testcase
Date: March 04, 2019 09:29PM
I attended an RV seminar on Sous Vide cooking a few years ago. Shortly after the seminar, the presenter emailed attendees about a 1/3rd off sale on the Bluetooth enabled cooker he used ($150 down to $100) so, I bought one. To date, I've only cooked steaks and roasts but, cooking those items using Sous Vide is stupid simple and, the results have been GREAT! I like my beef medium rare. I've left both steaks and roasts "cooking" for as long as 24 hours. The results are edge to edge bright pink and, because of the extended cooking time, zero fat in the beef (it all melts out). Of course, it's NOT necessary to leave any meat cooking that long but, because the temperature is so closely regulated, overcooking seems to be impossible. I picked up commercial Rubber Maid plastic containers to hold the water and, just put the meat in a ziplock bad (rather than vacuum sealed bag). Some aluminum foil covering the top of the Rubber Maid contain reduces the water boil off to a minimum. One of these days, I'll try other types of meat but, beef is my favorite.

PS: meat does NOT brown using Sous Vide. Meat can be browned before OR after Sous Vide cooking if that's your preference.
Posted by: stephen
Date: March 04, 2019 09:51PM
I have the Anova and like it. Never use the wifi part.
Posted by: Winston
Date: March 04, 2019 10:09PM
We've got a ChefSteps Joule sous vide gadget. It's quite sleek, warms the water quickly, and operates from an iOS app. ChefSteps supplies basic recipes, and "all" their recipes for $20 extra.
[www.chefsteps.com]

Costco has the white Joule with stainless steel ends for $199 including the extra recipes, with free shipping. It's normally $199 without the recipes. There is also a $179 model, at Amazon for $175, that has white end caps.

I've found that the key to sous vide is to have a vacuum sealer. I tried at first with ziploc bags, but had trouble getting all the air out and they'd then float. My mother had a FoodSaver vacuum sealer she'd never used, which she kindly passed on to me. I got cut-your-own-size rolls. It does take some time to get things sealed up, as with the roll you have to seal both ends of the bag.

I'm still something of a newbie. Our first Joule was an early product and had WiFi issues. The company sent a replacement, but I lost momentum for about a year. Just got back into it this winter. I've not done much in the way of searing, even though many of the recipes recommend that.

I particularly like that you can take things that are frozen and put them straight into the Joule. The setup asks you whether what you are cooking is frozen or fresh, and adjusts the time accordingly.

The Joule has gotten some nice reviews. It looks and feels like an Apple product - solid and unfussy.
[www.bonappetit.com]

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: March 04, 2019 10:53PM
ALDI just had a closeout sale on theirs. Was down to $25 in most stores.
discussion on SD

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Date: March 05, 2019 03:46AM
IIRC, 130 degrees is the cooking temperature for a rare steak and 135 degrees is the cooking temperature for a medium-rare, yes?

On AMK, they used 130º at two hours, seared for 60s per side and called it medium-rare:

I guess most people would call that rare, but whatever it is I'd call it perfect.

I'm fairly certain that reverse sear is likely to be more satisfying

They stated the result is the same as reverse sear but less complicated.

I'll have to try the poaching method you mentioned.

This is the result:

Firm whites and soft yolk, precisely the way I like poached eggs. Also, they were poached in the shell. You can get an idea of the shape as they came out of the shell, even though it's cut open.

I've found that the key to sous vide is to have a vacuum sealer.

They mentioned that if you have one, use it.

But if you don't, they have an alternative. Using a ziplock bag, put in a quarter cup of vegetable oil and mush it all around. It helps fill the voids and keep air out of the surface of the meat (and helps keep the edges from rounding when vacuum sealing).

Then press the steak down and press out as much air as possible. When that's done, submerge the bag in water up to a corner of the edge. The air rises up and exits the corner. Viola Davis, it's almost vacuum sealed.

It was said that if the cooking went over three hours, there would be texture problems with the meat.

This episode, America's Test Kitchen Sous Vide for Everybody, covered everything needed for the first time user to get great results — concepts, demos, and equipment reviews. If you knew nothing and weren't incompetent, you could make a great steak and poach a perfect egg, like you'd been doing it forever. The episode is well worth watching if you can find it.

I have to buy an immersion cooker, and the Joule and Annova are my two pics. I'll sort that at another time, but I'm amped.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 05, 2019 05:22AM
Isn't that what Dee Snyder said? Or maybe it was something else...
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 05, 2019 06:31AM
....sew.........ey......??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: March 05, 2019 07:12AM
I never heard of 'sous vide' cooking. Just looked on the Web; here's an article:

[www.seriouseats.com]

It claims the keeping food warm for extended periods of time will not overcook it, and even if below recommended pasteurization temperatures will pasteurize the food. Not sure I understand how that would work. I'd be concerned about chicken, for example.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: pipiens
Date: March 05, 2019 07:32AM
mrlynn

It claims the keeping food warm for extended periods of time will not overcook it, and even if below recommended pasteurization temperatures will pasteurize the food. Not sure I understand how that would work. I'd be concerned about chicken, for example.

/Mr Lynn

Pasteurization is a function of both time and temperature.
[www.seriouseats.com]

Scroll though the linked article to see a curve.

I have been using sous vide , currently Anova, 2-3 times per week for more years than I can remember.
Date: March 05, 2019 08:09AM
RAMd®d
They stated the result is the same as reverse sear but less complicated.

Starting dinner 2 hours before I'd like to eat is complicated during the work week.

Posted by: dk62
Date: March 05, 2019 09:53AM
I have a large sous vide appliance, I put in a bunch of stuff on the weekend and then keep it in the fridge for searing or other use as needed later. Can last in the fridge for weeks if vacuum sealed, I would be more weary if ziplocked, but should probably last up to a week anyway.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: March 05, 2019 10:19AM
I do a lot of sous vide. I've had the Anova for about 4 years now.

I use a Coleman 28-quart cooler for the container and suspend my Ziplocks from wood dowels using binder clips.

I've done all kinds of beef & chicken.

I recently got a vacuum sealer and have been making lots of chicken & vacuum sealing it for the freezer. Probably have a bout 5-6 pounds put away for future use.

Longest I've done is a brisket for 48 hours at 132 degrees. It was heavenly.

For steaks, I sear for 30-60 seconds per side on the grill. Remember to thoroughly dry the meat before searing.
Date: March 05, 2019 10:44AM
>Longest I've done is a brisket for 48 hours at 132 degrees. It was heavenly.

Do you have a link to the recipe?

Date: March 05, 2019 11:29AM
Remember to thoroughly dry the meat before searing.

That too was covered in the episode.

It's almost as though ATK knew what they were talking about.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Date: March 05, 2019 12:39PM
.....so you guys are living....la....vide.....loca.....???

Posted by: bruceko
Date: March 05, 2019 01:41PM
we love the food we have created with Sous vide.
i got the Anova as a present. it does a good job via Bluetooth from my phone.
the wifi set up is terrible. only worked with 2.4. Never could get it to connect. after e mails back and forth from Anova finally was told that it will not connect to wifi if the password has any special characters._()*
they suggested I change the password. I have over 30 devices on our network and I am not going to got to each device and change the password. The Anova cannot have its firmware updated
Date: March 06, 2019 08:23AM
mattkime
>Longest I've done is a brisket for 48 hours at 132 degrees. It was heavenly.

Do you have a link to the recipe?

Just season with salt & pepper, soak for 2 days @ 132, then a quick sear on the grill:

Date: March 06, 2019 08:30AM
.....you call that a knife....??

Date: March 06, 2019 08:59AM
I _definitely_ need to try that

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: March 06, 2019 12:47PM
Anyone else putting "I wanna sous vide" to the tune of Huey Lewis and the News?

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: March 06, 2019 02:00PM
NewtonMP2100
.....you call that a knife....??

It's Valyrian steel!
Posted by: Maddog
Date: March 07, 2019 12:19PM
I want one as well! I am also considering using it to perfectly heat up my strike water for brewing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 86
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018