advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Zappa-Inca Roads Live...crazy....them, the band.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: March 05, 2019 04:10PM
Zappa and their supreme tightness..they pull of this almost studio version of Inca Roads
in perfection, unreal..with the 5th Beatle, George Duke featured towards the end..

Zappa -Inca Roads-Live

*&*
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Zappa-Inca Roads Live...crazy....them, the band.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 05, 2019 04:25PM
There was no studio version of Inca Roads - the album version was a mix of the live performance you posted and this live performance: [www.youtube.com] and some overdubs. Pretty much they HAD to include the George Duke solo from the first one and the Zappa solo from the second one.

And, yes - it is perfection. The best Zappa song imo.

Zappa forced Duke to play synth. Duke had NO INTEREST at all, but Zappa bought him one and just put it there. Duke would tinker and noodle and soon became an early expert synth player. Zappa also insisted that George sing - he didn't want to. Thanks to those efforts, Duke puts a HUGE mark on Inca Roads - an amazing performance!

PS: I still can't get Magic Man out of my head - you gotta stop doing this :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2019 04:26PM by hal.
Date: March 05, 2019 04:42PM
hal
There was no studio version of Inca Roads - the album version was a mix of the live performance you posted and this live performance: [www.youtube.com] and some overdubs. Pretty much they HAD to include the George Duke solo from the first one and the Zappa solo from the second one.

And, yes - it is perfection. The best Zappa song imo.

Zappa forced Duke to play synth. Duke had NO INTEREST at all, but Zappa bought him one and just put it there. Duke would tinker and noodle and soon became an early expert synth player. Zappa also insisted that George sing - he didn't want to. Thanks to those efforts, Duke puts a HUGE mark on Inca Roads - an amazing performance!

PS: I still can't get Magic Man out of my head - you gotta stop doing this :-)

so cool...never knew it was this performance...and never even thought it was live..always just mesmerized by the whole thing..the One Size Fits All record is a record that just keeps growing in stature for me
And i love seeing Frank grinning through this as they $%^%^ing nail it..so cool

and i will not stop..im working and simultaneously going through bookmarks..and queuing.
YouTube is a treasure..BUT, I'm finding many old discoveries that I have bookmarked..GONE..and it's pissing me off..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2019 04:45PM by Kraniac.
Date: March 05, 2019 04:51PM
Hal-bert,

listening again and yes..these are def not the vocals from the record..i know em like i know my toes...
def different so they must 've added em in the studio later..or maybe from the other performance you mentioned...1st solo from Frank isn't the solo from the record either.
Date: March 05, 2019 05:02PM
and,,,i ALWAYS ..something that im ashamed of, forget to mention the stunning brilliance and accuracy of Ruth Underwood on percussion..@#$%& BEAST of a player who fills out the runs and completes some very complicated passages via marimba, Xylophone, Vibes, drums and onward...ridiculous and such a huge component of Frank's sound over the years..along with some cray great drummers..this being Chester Thompson ..who took over on Drums for Phil Collins after Gabriel's departure from Genesis..Chester..brilliant guy filling some very very big shoes
Date: March 05, 2019 05:07PM
Listen to that version I posted - it's even better imo than the video, but you can't see them playing. The Zappa solo was shortened for the record - you gotta listen to the whole thing from that Helsinki concert. It was months later and the band is that much more rehearsed. In the liner notes for the Helsinki show (the only 'complete' show frank ever released) he said it was the perfect convergence of a magnificent performance and state of the art recording equipment on hand.
Date: March 05, 2019 05:14PM
Here's a hole to go down:

The Drummers of Frank Zappa [www.youtube.com]

Terry Bozzio hosts a LONG discussion with Chester Thompson, Chad Wackerman, Ruth Underwood and Ralph Humphrey

and much shorter: The Mallets of Invention [www.youtube.com] - an awesome interview with Ruth Underwood - some amazing stories in both videos

In the second one, Ruth talks about the invention of electric marimbas and how it made her participation possible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2019 05:15PM by hal.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 05, 2019 05:20PM
smile smiley

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: March 05, 2019 05:20PM
hal
Here's a hole to go down:

The Drummers of Frank Zappa [www.youtube.com]

Terry Bozzio hosts a LONG discussion with Chester Thompson, Chad Wackerman, Ruth Underwood and Ralph Humphrey

and much shorter: The Mallets of Invention [www.youtube.com] - an awesome interview with Ruth Underwood - some amazing stories in both videos

In the second one, Ruth talks about the invention of electric marimbas and how it made her participation possible.

LOL..sounds excelllent, ill be there.

Im already in a hole and that hole, today is scheduled to end with watching ROMA on netflix tonight..if i go down your hole, im @#$%&..late night last night I started ROMA..was transfixed..and then closed my eyes after the surreal forest fire scene...im gonna stay in my hole today and then i'll jump down that other hole tomorrow..
Posted by: flightdelayedagain
Date: March 06, 2019 06:11AM
Yes, Inca Roads is my favorite Zappa tune!

Also, I believe I read many years ago that Phil Collins saw Zappa in concert and was so impressed with Chester Thompson that he called him after and asked him to join Genesis on their next tour. Anyone familiar with both bands will notice the drum riff in the live version of Genesis Afterglow - at 3:37 [www.youtube.com]

Can you guess what Zappa tune that riff is from that Chester brought with him?

Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: March 06, 2019 08:47PM
Zappa alum, The Phlorescent Leech & Eddie

Who you may just happen to have heard before...
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2019 08:54PM by DeusxMac.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 130
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020