advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Ccontemplating a road trip through Georgia - advice?
Posted by: Ammo
Date: March 11, 2019 05:15PM
My wife and I are planning a road trip at the end of April. One itinerary we’ve thought of is flying to Atlanta and renting a car for a leisurely drive to Jacksonville, FL., our ultimate destination. The thing is, we aren’t familiar at all with the country in between. We are wondering if maybe driving from Atlanta to Savanna and then down to Jacksonville would be a nice trip. Anyone know what that part of Georgia is like? Anything particular to see that route? We like history and thought there might be Civil War or Antebellum sites along the way.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Ccontemplating a road trip through Georgia - advice?
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 11, 2019 05:32PM
A long time ago, we were headed form Savannah back to Atlanta via I-16 to I-75, our normal route. It was summer, in the afternoon. When we got to Dublin, we diverted to US 441 and drove it to Athens instead. It felt magical (maybe my memory is better than reality, I don't know). As the sun begin to set, it was just inescapable beauty. I'd driving a lot through North Georgia (really special, especially Helen, GA) and love it so I wasn't expecting that highway to be so nice.
Posted by: flightdelayedagain
Date: March 11, 2019 06:10PM
My wife and I spent 2 days in Savannah a few years ago and want to go back for a bit longer stay. It was beautiful with tons of historic sights. Be sure to watch "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" before you go. [www.imdb.com]
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: March 11, 2019 06:13PM
I-75 from Atlanta to Macon is just 80 miles of boring interstate, but it does seem to pass very quickly. When you get to Macon, you'll be hard-pressed to remember a single thing from that entire stretch. In an online poll, I-16 from Macon to Savannah was voted the single most boring stretch of interstate in the entire US of A, but wait, there's more: Yes, there are exits with convenience stores dotted along I-16, but these "convenience" stores tend to be Mom & Pop operations that might be open, or more importantly closed, at any time of day on any day of the week for no apparent reason.

A remarkable feature of I-16 is that for most of it's length there are no trees near the road, just fences, then huge fields, then maybe a handful of trees way off in the distance, so if you feel an urgent call of nature between exits, you've got to be okay with everyone on the highway being able to see and know exactly what you're doing… and since the terrain I-16 traverses is table top flat, that could mean people for literally miles in either direction. When I lived in Savannah, I told everyone who came to visit to take care of every conceivable need they had (urination, defecation, food, drinks, gas, snacks, etc.) before leaving the city limits of Macon because they couldn't count on being able to take care of those things again until they got close to Savannah. Some heeded my warning, while others thought I was joking and chose to ignore my warning to their detriment.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

Stop and think about this: If you're able to shout the words "I CAN'T BREATHE!!!" at considerable volume, then you have just proven to anyone listening that you can indeed breathe.

"I don't see color, I just see ugly" - Joe Jitsukawa
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: March 11, 2019 06:58PM
It's not just boring, but I did the drive into Florida in fire-season with black smoke filling the road and effectively hiding anything worth seeing.

...and due to the fires, 95 was shut down through the north half of Florida, costing me about 10hrs more than I counted on for the drive down to Ft. Lauderdale.

Fire season extends from the end of March thru the end of June.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2019 07:02PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 11, 2019 07:00PM
....keep Georgia......on your mind......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: March 11, 2019 07:16PM
I might instead consider flying into Charlotte or Myrtle Beach, and spending a couple of days in Charleston as well as a couple of days in Savannah. They're comparable places to visit, each with their own charms, and should be lovely in April.
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 11, 2019 07:35PM
Just dont take any canoe trips...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2019 07:36PM by jdc.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 11, 2019 07:37PM
Yeah fly into somewhere else and then go to Savannah. Charlotte's nice. Myrtle Beach when it's cold is a ghost town. Decent airport though.

Although the drive from ATL to Savannah isn't bad (only 4-6 hours?), I surely wouldn't fly into ATL only to drive to Jacksonville. But if you do fly into the ATL, it would make sense to visit the area and of course there's tons to see and do.

One feature of driving south GA or in FL is the occasional drug bust on the Interstate. I've seen them put a helicopter down on I-75 to stop traffic.
Posted by: stephen
Date: March 11, 2019 08:14PM
I grew up on I-16 (yes, it's pretty boring) in the town of Metter. It's a pretty good pit stop, 100 miles from Macon and 68 from Savannah.

A stop for some BBQ at Papa Bucks or a really good meat-and-three buffet at Bevericks is a decent stop on the way.

Cute little town square but not much in the way of interesting retail beyond one antique store. The day before Easter is a giant street festival, Another Bloomin Festival, which is an interesting glimpse at small town life. As many as 10,000 people show up in the town of 4000. It's all the usual suspects, funnel cakes, cutesy crafts, etc.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: March 11, 2019 08:37PM
The interesting thing to see there is the wetlands, but you will not get a good view from any interstate highway.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 11, 2019 08:41PM
If you are wedded to Atlanta, then do this --

Get out of Georgia fast, it is deadly dull - especially I-75. Northeast Georgia is at the foot of the Appalachian mountains, very pleasant. South Carolina is much nicer. The US17 run south is far better than I-95

Atlanta, I-285 to US78
Take US78 through Athens to Washington
Take US378 from Washington to Saluda, SC
take US178 from Saluda to Charleston
Take US17 south from Charleston to Jacksonville

Be sure to find some traditional Meat and Three places to eat. Try some BBQ near Charleston
Visit Ft. Sumter
The 8th Air Force Museum at Pooler, GA (near Savannah) is interesting if you are a history buff
The Smallest Church in America is in Townsend, GA (south of Savannah) on US17

Spend some time exploring the website [www.roadsideamerica.com] for the stuff you would never find otherwise.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: rgG
Date: March 11, 2019 10:08PM
Athens has many good places to eat and is the home of the University of GA. They have a pretty good art museum on campus. The road from Athens to Washington is just rural Georgia. They have improved it over the last year, but nothing special except just mostly farmland and small towns. I have driven that road far too many times. Lol
There are some antebellum homes in Washington and the Robert Toombs house is a museum. Toombs was the Secretary of State of the Confederacy. Washington wasn’t burned during the civil war, so that’s why there are some of the old houses there.
My mom lives in Washington.
I second and third the idea that the interstate from Macon to Savannah is BORING. It is go to sleep at the wheel BORING.
Savannah is nice and has some good places to eat.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2019 10:11PM by rgG.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 11, 2019 10:14PM

Be sure to pick up this guy's tour guide.
It's well loved classic.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: March 11, 2019 10:54PM
jdc
Just dont take any canoe trips...

Two more important lessons to take away from that scene in its entirety are: Don't make snide remarks about the locals in front of the locals and don't swear unnecessarily in normal conversation.

[www.youtube.com]

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

Stop and think about this: If you're able to shout the words "I CAN'T BREATHE!!!" at considerable volume, then you have just proven to anyone listening that you can indeed breathe.

"I don't see color, I just see ugly" - Joe Jitsukawa
Posted by: bfd
Date: March 12, 2019 02:30PM
On a rainy, Wednesday mornin' that's the day that I was born in
That old sharecroppers one room country shack
They say my mama left me, the day before she had me
She hit the road and never once looked back.

Now I just want to mention, my Grandma's old age pension
Is the reason why I'm standing here today
I got all my country learning, just a milkin' and a churning
Pickin' cotton, rasin' hell, and bailin' hay

I've been to Georgia on a fast train
I waddn't born no yesterday
I got a good Christian raisin' and an eighth grade education
Ain't no neeeed in y'all a treatin' me that way…
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 12, 2019 02:35PM
....eat a lot of peaches.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Michael
Date: March 12, 2019 07:10PM
If you're going into south Georgia, the Okefenokee Swamp is absolutely worth seeing. Rent a canoe and paddle around for a while. It's great.

[www.fws.gov]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 143
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020