advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Cancer, Time and My Sister
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: March 12, 2019 04:39PM
(My apologies for the long silence. These are never easy, and the last couple of months have been... challenging to put it lightly. Compartmentalization has been my oasis.)

My sister’s journey with cancer has been unexpected in many ways. Perhaps most unfortunate is that it has progressed much more quickly than hoped for.

We are nearing the end now, and we continue to bring her as much peace, comfort and love as possible.

Beyond that, the urgent need now is to do the best we can to make sure the expenses for her final days and final arrangements are met, and enough left over to ensure there are no shortfalls for the basics, such as rent, etc., during the transition period as I leave the role of full time caretaker.

We are setting a mini goal for ourGoFundMe campaign of receiving $50.00 a day in donations for March and April. Fifty cents or fifty dollars, as always, any and every donation is appreciated. We are also extremely grateful for any social media mentions. Getting the word out as far and wide as possible helps enormously.

Once again, I would like to thank those who have already donated. Your generous donations, blessings and good wishes have played a big part in making this ordeal bearable.

Jeff
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Cancer, Time and My Sister
Posted by: Sam3
Date: March 13, 2019 10:51AM
Done.

May your family find peace through this final journey.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: March 13, 2019 12:01PM
All possible prayers and good wishes to you both. May your sister's journey be peaceful, and her memory a blessing to all who know her.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 13, 2019 12:51PM
What is this "already donated"? Keep donating!

Jeff, I'm sorry to hear that things have accelerated. I know how valuable compartmentalization can be, and I'm encouraged that you're insightful enough to notice and name it.

I wish you and sis peace, love, and comfort, come what will.

Keep giving, forumites! I'm ever grateful for this little oasis on the web.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2019 12:52PM by rjmacs.
Posted by: decay
Date: March 13, 2019 03:43PM
added a bit to the till.

---
Date: March 13, 2019 06:46PM
Thank you.

This is who we are.
All of you are our better selves.
Our native selves.
Our true selves, within.

Kind, caring, selfless.

I am reminded, yet again, of two important jobs I will always have.

To be my true self, and to pay it forward.

Thank you.

Jeff
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 13, 2019 08:58PM
Very sorry to hear about your sister's condition. I hope she isn't suffering too much. Bless her, you and everyone that loves and cares about her.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2019 08:59PM by vision63.
Posted by: GeneL
Date: March 13, 2019 09:08PM
Sent you a little bit of love and a small donation.
I'm sure that the feelings mean as much as the money, so I was happy to share my support.
Words fail at this stage, but I do know the feelings behind the words mean a great deal.
With love,
Your friend GeneL

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: Pam
Date: March 14, 2019 01:48PM
Very sorry about your sister. Terribly, terribly sad. I wish I could help but I just had to pay for my K9's second hip replacement. First was this time last year (different hips). I will however keep you and your family in my thoughts.
Date: March 14, 2019 03:23PM
Thank you, Pam. I won’t lie, some days get hard, that’s when all the good wishes really help keep our spirits afloat.

Sorry to hear about your furry one’s distress. If you haven’t heard of it, I’d very much recommend WeRateDogs (@rate_dogs) on Twitter. Hugely funny, and also known to spread the word to their just shy of eight million followers about GoFundMe campaigns to help to take the bite out of situations just like yours.
Date: March 17, 2019 05:03AM
<3
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 17, 2019 03:53PM
Your sister has a great brother, and that's what really counts right now. My thoughts are with you both.
Posted by: Winston
Date: March 18, 2019 09:21PM
Jeff -

We lost a friend to cancer a couple of weeks ago. She was a remarkable woman, who had not only run NYU's admissions department, but been in charge of all of their international campuses. Even with all the advances, there are limits, and it's hard. While she was at MD Anderson in Houston my wife helped to organize people to visit with her husband, also a good friend. We are now doing that again for him. She was able to get back home on a medical air transport for hospice, which was a blessing for the family.

Family and friends are a big part of what make life work. Thank you for what you do for your sister.

And, as always, good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: March 19, 2019 01:18AM
Thank you.

For anyone out there going through anything similar, try to hold onto this, you can make it through.

It does get hard. A few days ago, I ran across a picture of my sister, beaming. That was the first time it hit me that I’ll probably never see her smile again. Today, she dictated her first goodbye letter to a friend to me.

This was a hard day. But I got through. You can get through it.

Some of us cry, some of us just ache inside. But take care of yourself, love yourself. Love them.

You can make it through.
Posted by: Winston
Date: March 19, 2019 08:05AM
When my kids have hurt, I've told them that it's a good thing. We only hurt about the things we care about. In that sense, it's a reflection of love, and of wonderful past experiences. Life would be pretty barren without the hurts that show we care.

Hold onto the good things, and look for the positive moments as they arise.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: March 22, 2019 11:24PM
Winston
When my kids have hurt, I've told them that it's a good thing. We only hurt about the things we care about. In that sense, it's a reflection of love, and of wonderful past experiences. Life would be pretty barren without the hurts that show we care.

Hold onto the good things, and look for the positive moments as they arise.

Good luck.

- Winston

beautiful
Posted by: GeneL
Date: March 23, 2019 01:27AM
Being in the hospital myself, I'm lying here somewhat in limbo with devices squeezing my legs. I had dialysis this afternoon and they had to remove fluid as well as filtering my blood. When they pull fluid I usually have cramps afterwards, so I'm pretty uncomfortable.
Following this thread has made me feel so sad. Sad that so many people are going through such sad times.
If I had a super power I would want it to be an ability to take away everyone's sadness.
Blankity Blank, my thoughts are with you.
GeneL

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: JoeM
Date: March 23, 2019 09:36PM
I'm so sorry to hear that your sister is losing her battle with cancer. My daughter has battled cancer twice and a good friend's wife continues her battle with pancreatic cancer so I know how trying this time is for you both. My wishes for her and your peace and comfort along with prayers are being sent to you both.

JoeM
Posted by: decay
Date: March 25, 2019 10:39AM
Best wishes to all in their battles with big C.

Found out a friend my age (early 50s) has stage 4 around his femoral artery and it has spread. Ugh...

---
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 293
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018