advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need a recommendation for an OK/Decent photo zoom lens for Micro 4/3 camera (and/or also maybe a small 4k video camera)
Posted by: clay
Date: March 14, 2019 03:07PM
I am looking for a lens to use with my Panasonic GH3 DSLR for photos. I currently have a couple of older manual Nikon lenses (50mm something and an 80mm something.something). Both very nice glass. But I use a "dumb" adapter with them to convert to the M43 mount. For photos, I'm just not finding them to be very helpful. I have a "Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro Zoom Lens for Four Thirds System - Black" lens that cost me $900 a few years ago that I now use as a video lens on a different camera. That lens works well for photos as well (super sharp, great IQ), and I could swap the lens back and forth between cameras, but I'd like to avoid that route if I can. When I'm on a shoot, I'll finish up using the video camera, and then need to move immediately to taking a few stills.

So, my first question would be -- is there a decent zoom lens (wide-ish, the 12-40mm length I have in my other lens would be just fine) that I should check out? Ideally, I'd stay well under $500 for this. Used is fine.

The other option that I might also consider -- I have a need to buy what will likely be a point and shoot camera that can do 4k video as well. If I get something decent, it could handle my stills need quite easily and also cover my 4k video need as well. I'm thinking something like the Sony DSC-RX100 IV (B&H currently has a used unit for a shade under $700 - [www.bhphotovideo.com]) would handle both needs quite well. Actually, as I'm writing this, this second option might make the most sense to consider.

What do you geniuses think is the right answer to my quandary?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need a recommendation for an OK/Decent photo zoom lens for Micro 4/3 camera (and/or also maybe a small 4k video camera)
Posted by: Sam3
Date: March 15, 2019 04:45AM
What about another Oly 12-40? Through Amazon, OKCamera has a used one that is listed in very good condition for $579 that is Prime eligible. There are others, some in 'like new' condition for not much more:

[www.amazon.com]

How do you like shooting M43? I have an Olympus E3 that my dad won from a camera store, and have been thinking about getting a M43 to try it out. The problem is that I'm fairly heavily invested in APS-C through Canon. (7DMk2 and M50, plus some EF-S lenses).
Re: Need a recommendation for an OK/Decent photo zoom lens for Micro 4/3 camera (and/or also maybe a small 4k video camera)
Posted by: oscilloscope
Date: March 15, 2019 09:17AM
Two options to consider. Both have IBIS.

Panasonic G85 w/12-60mm lens for $700.00.
[www.bhphotovideo.com]

Panasonic GX85 w/12-32mm lens and 45-150mm lens for $500.00.
[www.bhphotovideo.com]
Posted by: clay
Date: March 15, 2019 09:32AM
thanks to both of you for the ideas.

I think I'm warming to the idea of just getting a smaller camera that can handle 4k video as well. I like the looks of the GX85 kit linked above.

I have shot Full Frame, and then I've shot M43 for the past several years. For my money, M43 works just fine, gives me great results, so I have no real reason to spend more bucks on a different system. I just always have to remind myself that the camera system is rarely the limiting factor in the quality of footage or stills that I can get from a camera. lighting and composition are usually the bigger factors. Nicer glass and larger sensor help, but can't overcome everything.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 323
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018