advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
AirB&B question: Internet at cottage
Posted by: DP
Date: March 14, 2019 08:12PM
Some of you may remember we have a cottage Up North (NE lower Michigan) and we haven't been up very much over the past few years as some things have changed for us. Our lives have been so busy-mostly good busy-that we just haven't had time. We decided then to put it on AirB&B and have had a couple of guests already in three months.

But we are still in the Olden Days. No TV or internet. If we stay in, we listen to the radio or music on our devices, and read books in front of a fire. Play games or gadzooks! engage in conversation!

OK, the guests say use they use a phone as a hotspot but would really like it if we had internet, anyway. We can get satellite TV thru a local provider but we think we'd just go with something like Hughes net; just pay for online access.

Anyone use Hughes Net or had experience with another satellite provider of internet? There is no cable up there. Locals have only a dish for TV and online access and I haven't checked yet, but can we get just internet from someone like Dish or Direct TV? Would Hughes be better, tho?

I just came back from checking up on the place. Two feet of snow up there...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: AirB&B question: Internet at cottage
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 14, 2019 08:21PM
It’s an escape from City Life. Let them bring their own internet.
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 14, 2019 08:53PM
Northern MN, the only decent internet is via DSL (or cable, if you are anywhere near).

I wouldn't bother unless it starts to keep your prospective tenants away.

In our AirBNB experience, internet is pretty spotty even in an urban setting, so recommending people BYOI at a place like your awesome cabin is not going to be a problem.
Posted by: clay
Date: March 14, 2019 09:00PM
yeah, I wouldn't bother providing it either. Just be up front about that in your listing, as it is somewhat ubiquitous these days, many people might expect that you have it.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 14, 2019 09:08PM
Maybe offer to pay a portion of their cell bill? That would be cheaper than the monthly Hughes Net cost (along with equipment)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 14, 2019 09:19PM
Maybe get a prepaid cell hotspot and buy data for it every time someone says they want it...

In tha 360. [url=Zee Maps Now requires a subscription/payment to work]MRF User Map[/url]
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 14, 2019 11:09PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Maybe get a prepaid cell hotspot and buy data for it every time someone says they want it...

This is what a lot of AirBNB hosts do.

The only compelling reason is if you only have decent cell coverage from a single carrier (you would not want someone to show up at such a remote place and have NO cell coverage).
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: March 15, 2019 09:16AM
sekker
Filliam H. Muffman

This is what a lot of AirBNB hosts do.

The only compelling reason is if you only have decent cell coverage from a single carrier (you would not want someone to show up at such a remote place and have NO cell coverage).

Aye, that's the rub. E.g. Our T-Mobile provides unlimited data, so a hotspot works just fine, but. . . There are many places where T-Mobile coverage is weak or non-existent, and I wouldn't be surprised if your cabin were one of them.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2019 09:17AM by mrlynn.
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 15, 2019 11:31AM
Someone posted here that you can get some Verizon hotspots on eBay that apparently have unlimited service. It has been mentioned several times but I don’t recall the details.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 15, 2019 11:48AM
....frottage.....@ the cottage......??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: DP
Date: March 16, 2019 09:09AM
There are many places where T-Mobile coverage is weak or non-existent, and I wouldn't be surprised if your cabin were one of them.

I have TMobile service there and it's good. Actually, TM piggybacks off of AT&T towers there-and my phone shows AT&T in the upper corner of the phone!

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 315
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018