advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Did anyone else here enjoy Karen Carpenter in 1970?
Posted by: flareslow
Date: March 14, 2019 09:14PM
This is an amazing cover:

Shane Ericks

She got me through plebe summer with this song!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Did anyone else here enjoy Karen Carpenter in 1970?
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 14, 2019 09:29PM
She and I were just casual acquaintances.
Posted by: mstudio
Date: March 14, 2019 09:42PM
I was never a fan, was listening to different music at the time. She was good, though, and died way too young.
Posted by: bfd
Date: March 14, 2019 09:48PM
Possibly one of the most distinctive voices in pop music, and such a sad life story. She needed some serious help with the eating disorder, and never really got it. The singer in the link is plenty talented, but she doesn't come close to Karen Carpenter (and that's just one measure of the depth of Karen Carpenter's talent.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2019 09:50PM by bfd.
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 14, 2019 09:50PM
I enjoyed listening to the Carpenter's music. It's a shame Karen died so young.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: March 14, 2019 10:01PM
I loved her..great band that gets greater ..actual really good drummer too..the whole outfit was real talent
Posted by: davester
Date: March 14, 2019 10:16PM
Saw The Carpenters live in Las Vegas in 1970, shortly after the release of Close to You. Her voice was amazing.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2019 10:18PM by davester.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: March 14, 2019 10:50PM
About that video flareshow; I’m pretty sure she’s lip syncing

1. Sound quality doesn’t match what would seem to be correct for that room/location’s acoustics.

2. Although the sound track seems to be continuous, the video has clearly been pieced together; her head abruptly changes position at times 1:07, 1:53 and 2:33, and the double exposures clearly show different takes.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: March 14, 2019 11:17PM
DeusxMac

1. Sound quality doesn’t match what would seem to be correct for that room/location’s acoustics.

2. Although the sound track seems to be continuous, the video has clearly been pieced together; her head abruptly changes position at times 1:07, 1:53 and 2:33, and the double exposures clearly show different takes.

yup..all sorts of weirdness going on with it..i gave up on it..sounds a bit like Karen but the phrasing killed it for me and the strange mismatch of space and voice and reverb..total disconnect.
Date: March 14, 2019 11:24PM
DeusxMac

These things are totally obvious. The sound is heavily overproduced. I do like that she's playing my guitar (Gibson J-45). Good taste.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: jonny
Date: March 15, 2019 12:01AM
Another great cover - Goodbye to Love
[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 15, 2019 12:25AM
davester
DeusxMac

These things are totally obvious. The sound is heavily overproduced. I do like that she's playing my guitar (Gibson J-45). Good taste.

You should ask for it back.

It is what it is.
Posted by: GeneL
Date: March 15, 2019 12:55AM
I was a big fan. Her voice was so unique and her songs were attached to so many memories for me.
Sad that she died the way she did and so young.

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 15, 2019 01:01AM
Steve G.
She and I were just casual acquaintances.

Karen Carpenter was one of the common coincidences that eventually bonded Mrs. Buzz and me together. Karen was a customer at the camera shop I worked at in the 70's, and was also a regular at the restaurant the then future Mrs. Buzz worked at a couple of years later during furloughs in her early stewardess days. That Shane gal does an excellent reprise. Has she ever done The Voice, American Idol, The Voice or any singing competition? Or is she just another millennial YouTuber?
==
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: March 15, 2019 05:14AM
My main musical taste has always been rock and blues and favourites have been Hendrix, Beefheart, Velvet Underground and Pink Floyd and saw them all. It surprised me at the time that I also really liked The Carpenters music. Back in 1976 (I think) London's Capital Radio promoted a Carpenters concert at the London Palladium in aid of “Help a London Child" and you got tickets by swapping a toy. I remember being at Capital Radio's offices very early that morning when the tickets were going to be available clutching a large teddy bear joining an already substantial queue of toy bearing people. The show which started at midnight was absolutely stunning.

Paul

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 15, 2019 01:31PM
I was (and still am) a Rocker through and through. The Carpenters weren't my bag, but back during their time, you were exposed to their music no matter where you went.

They had some very good hits and Karen was phenomenal. She definitely left us waaaay too soon!

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Date: March 15, 2019 01:35PM
My earliest memories of the Carpenters are from 1972, when I was seven years old. Even then I loved her voice and had a crush on her.

It is what it is.
Posted by: pdq
Date: March 15, 2019 01:56PM
I think that her contralto was the most beautiful singing voice ever. Seriously. I wish she had lived, and gotten into some different music - the easy-listening/pop-py stuff is okay, but she could have done so much more to show off that voice - even a capella.

A while ago, I looked into her history, and it’s an interesting one, for sure. Her family moved from the east coast (Connecticut, I think?) to Cali more or less just to improve her older brother Richard’s chances of success in music - after all, her parents thought, Richard was the one with the musical talent. Karen originally played the glockenspiel (!) but picked up the drums in, like, high school. And she didn’t initially feel comfortable being out front singing.

But that voice! (and to be fair, they had some great songs to perform that were written by others). I’m glad someone in the business recognized what a natural gift she had.
Date: March 15, 2019 02:18PM
An interesting tidbit regarding Karen Carpenter is that she really didn't want to do vocals. She was a drummer and that is what she loved the most.

Posted by: jonny
Date: March 15, 2019 04:02PM
For those of you interested in left field experimental film... Here is the infamous biopic 'Superstar' directed by Todd Haynes!

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2019 04:07PM by jonny.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 15, 2019 05:06PM
The Carpenters weren't my bag, but back during their time, you were exposed to their music no matter where you went.

Indeed.

She had a good voice, I just didn't care for anything she did with it.

Then there's Gaga, whom I like some of her stuff, but her voice in incredible.

And after watching Star, I like Allie before she went Gaga.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: March 15, 2019 10:50PM
RAMd®d
Then there's Gaga, whom I like some of her stuff, but her voice in incredible.

And after watching Star, I like Allie before she went Gaga.

Right? I have a bit of a crush on Allie after seeing that movie.

It is what it is.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: March 17, 2019 07:47AM
I loved the Carpenters and still do. Richard didn't have the voice Karen did (no one had a voice like Karen's) but he was extremely talented. The production on their albums is incredible.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 256
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018