advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
More from Down Under... Smartphone Stops Arrow When Absurdly Lucky Man Tries to Photograph Attacker
Posted by: DP
Date: March 15, 2019 06:29AM
Apple likes to tout its smartwatch’s heart-tracking features as being able to potentially save a user’s life one day. But a man in Nimbin, New South Wales, Australia, may owe his life to his smartphone, which stopped an arrow fired by an assailant while he was trying to snap a photo.

According to the NSW Police Force, the victim pulled into his driveway on the morning of March 13, 2019, only to notice a man standing outside his property armed with a bow and arrow when he got out of his car. That’s not something you see every day, even in Australia, so police say he pulled out his phone to snap a photo of the archer when the armed man raised his bow and fired.

Instead of hitting the victim, the arrow pierced the back of the raised smartphone, leaving a sharp tip protruding a couple of inches through the device’s display on the other side, and completely removing its screen protector—the man’s last line of defense. According to police, the only injury was a small laceration on the victim’s chin caused by the momentum of the arrow’s impact, which sent the phone flying into his face.

[gizmodo.com]

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: More from Down Under... Smartphone Stops Arrow When Absurdly Lucky Man Tries to Photograph Attacker
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 15, 2019 06:35AM
Now, if you know Australian gun laws, THIS thread is political!
Re: More from Down Under... Smartphone Stops Arrow When Absurdly Lucky Man Tries to Photograph Attacker
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 15, 2019 06:44AM
I guess arrows and cricket bats and golf clubs and ANYTHING else that MIGHT possibly be used as a weapon MUST now be banned...........

Let the haters' ranting begin......
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: March 15, 2019 06:50AM
I hope not, I’m still pushing for private ownership of nuclear weapons.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 15, 2019 06:52AM
testcase
I guess arrows and cricket bats and golf clubs and ANYTHING else that MIGHT possibly be used as a weapon MUST now be banned...........

Actually, the point of banning anything is directly correlated to its effectiveness when compared to other potential weapons. Ignoring that salient reality sends you down a rabbit hole of playing what-if, as you’ve demonstrated.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 15, 2019 08:32AM
....just the tip.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 15, 2019 01:23PM
testcase

I sent Baby Buzz and his mama down under for a baseball tour in 2006, and since the kid took his baseball gear bag along, it wasn't much of a surprise when he came back w/ a wooden cricket bat stashed in it. Fortunately, no arrests yet for weapons charges, but I guess we better tell him to be careful who he shows his wood to from now on.
==
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 15, 2019 02:11PM
Warranty return! Not arrow proof!

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 15, 2019 04:53PM
Fortunately, the William Hell made bail.

No harm, no foul.

Among the charges at the time, attempted murder was conspicuous by its absence.

The would be archer was just trying to shoot the Apple off the phone.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 15, 2019 09:32PM
testcase

who is hating? who is ranting?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 363
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018