advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Strange Robo calls
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: March 23, 2019 09:54AM
So we have been receiving calls on our Ooma house line from my wife's iPhone. We know no call has actually been placed from her phone, but we've still been getting multiple calls today starting around 6am! Can't block her number, so I guess there's nothing to do.

Asheville, NC Area
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Strange Robo calls
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: March 23, 2019 10:38AM
Are they from the “social security” people? Who, by the way never, ever call people.

I got 4 calls in a row from them, using four different phone numbers. One was disconnected, one a fax machine, one a travel agency and one a State Farm insurance office. Weird. I also pressed 1 to see what would happen but didn’t say anything. Someone answered and then hung up. And haven’t gotten that call again...yet.

Next time will be a whistle.
Date: March 23, 2019 10:42AM
Of course we don't answer robs calls.

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 23, 2019 11:08AM
It seems they know that both numbers belong to the same household. You may have had both numbers is a database somewhere that got hacked and now they use one number to call the other. They take their game to the next level.

I need to consider if I should use my second OOMA line instead of our main OOMA line for contact info at various agencies that can get hacked. This way even if they hack it and use my (or wife's cell) to call the land line, they would call our OOMA2 line, not the main one.

In general we are very lucky, on OOMA1 we gat maybe 10 -15 calls per year, and on cell phone about 1-2 per day. even that seems way too much for me.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: March 23, 2019 11:17AM
By any chance, does she have her calls forwarded to your home?

I get a lot of robocalls with fake IDs masquerading as my own phone number.

If her phone was set to forward calls, that would explain why you're seeing her number on the calls to the Ooma.

Posted by: Kraniac
Date: March 23, 2019 12:52PM
What's your number? I'll show you strange..
Posted by: tenders
Date: March 23, 2019 01:14PM
Kraniac
What's your number? I'll show you strange..

HA HA HA
Date: March 23, 2019 02:17PM
Sarcany
By any chance, does she have her calls forwarded to your home?

I get a lot of robocalls with fake IDs masquerading as my own phone number.

If her phone was set to forward calls, that would explain why you're seeing her number on the calls to the Ooma.

if that was the case, then ALL calls would be forwarded, not only the Robo calls.
Date: March 23, 2019 02:42PM
My number is 555-1212.

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 23, 2019 03:27PM
I’ve gotten robocalls from myself, which were weird..caller id spoofing is out of control.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 23, 2019 04:23PM
Until the penalties/jail time is bad enough, people will still do this. How about 1 minute of jail time for each call? Those bastiges will be locked away for life.

How about banishment to a desert island with no electricity? Give them a machete and fishing gear. They have proven they can't be trusted with technology.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2019 04:38PM by Racer X.
Date: March 23, 2019 04:54PM
How about 1 minute of jail time for each call?

I'd say one day for each call.

How about banishment to a desert island with no electricity?

Isn't that the definition of Paradise? LOL no it isn't but that would be fun.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 24, 2019 05:17PM
Of course we don't answer robs calls.

I don't know about you, but I'd answer rob's call.

He seems like a very decent fellow.

But alas, he's not in my contact list, so I don't answer.

I’ve gotten robocalls from myself, which were weird

That is weird.

I've received a few calls purporting to be from my number, but as they were obviously spoofed, they went unanswered. Weirdly, I don't get those or calls with insanely weird numbers anymore. The spoofers have moved on to either using genuine names and numbers or 'appropriated' genuine names and numbers. They might even be fake names and numbers that look genuine.

All get unanswered. That policy does mean I'll miss Ed's AFP calls from the grave, telling me I may have already won... I can live with that.

Until the penalties/jail time is bad enough, people will still do this.

Agreed.

I have to assume that a great many lawmakers are somehow not bothered by this, either because they get few if any spam calls, or they have a high tolerance for them.

I think it's already been ruled from on high somewhere that anybody who has your number (LOL) can call you. It's just the nature of their call that may constitute criminal activity.

But spoofing should absolutely be a criminal offense with enough of a penalty to make it unprofitable to participate.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: March 24, 2019 05:41PM
Lizabeth
Are they from the “social security” people? Who, by the way never, ever call people.

I got 4 calls in a row from them, using four different phone numbers. One was disconnected, one a fax machine, one a travel agency and one a State Farm insurance office. Weird. I also pressed 1 to see what would happen but didn’t say anything. Someone answered and then hung up. And haven’t gotten that call again...yet.

Next time will be a whistle.

I get about 4 per day from "Social Security." One was from China. I didn't realize we'd outsourced our government to China. I guess it was just a matter of time.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 25, 2019 07:23AM
.....the scammers have gotten good at spoofing numbers......they will call work numbers using the companies 3 digits to make it look like the call is coming from inside the work place.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 325
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018