advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Weather Widget and Sierra Dashboard
Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 26, 2019 11:40AM
About a week ago I noticed the weather widget for Dashboard stopped updating on my laptop running Sierra. It had happened before, usually just a restart of the laptop would clear it up. But that did not work this time.

Any ideas on fixing it? Or has there been some end of life announcement for this widget running on Sierra that I have missed?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Weather Widget and Sierra Dashboard
Posted by: GGD
Date: March 26, 2019 11:58AM
No ideas, but the same thing happened with the Weather App on my iPhone 5s running iOS 7 last week.

I tried turning location services off/on again for the app, and it got even worse. Now for my current location it's just blank data, no city name or temperature.

In searching I found other people with my same problem dating back to 2013, and no resolution except that sometimes it magically starts working.

[discussions.apple.com]

I'm wondering if it's something to do with Yahoo, that's the data source for the iOS 7 weather app.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: March 26, 2019 02:00PM
Same here, Sierra on MP. Yet, the weather in the notifications panel is correct.
iPhone & iPad {iOS12} are also reporting correctly.
I deleted the widget, done with it.

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
...word salad is not a disorder, it is a symptom...

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Posted by: clay
Date: March 26, 2019 02:59PM
Not working for me on Mojave at the moment either. I use that widget all the time and just noticed that it wasn't working today, after I'm sure I had been using it last week.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: March 26, 2019 03:16PM
The turdosity of this widget is truly impressive...

Once we place nonhuman animals outside our sphere of moral consideration
and treat them as things we use to satisfy our own desires,
the outcome is predictable.

- Peter Singer
Date: March 26, 2019 04:09PM
If it also is not working with Mojave, that looks to be pointing the blame towards Yahoo. There is another name listed on the widget as well, but the laptop is at home now.
Posted by: GGD
Date: March 26, 2019 09:11PM
Found this, doesn't look good.

[developer.yahoo.com]

Important EOL Notice: As of Thursday, Jan. 3, 2019, the weather.yahooapis.com and query.yahooapis.com for Yahoo Weather API will be retired.
To continue using our free Yahoo Weather APIs, use [weather-ydn-yql.media.yahoo.com]. Follow below instructions to get credentials and onboard to this free Yahoo Weather API service.

I have no idea when these newer APIs became available and if/when Apple started using them vs the APIs that were recently retired.

And what exactly "will be retired" means, vs "will no longer work". Seems like it should have stopped worked much sooner than this past week.
Date: March 27, 2019 01:23AM
That is not looking good for the standard Weather widget, I will have to look at some of the alternate ones available for download from Apple.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: March 27, 2019 08:00AM
Yahoo Weather widget is not working on Mojave for me this week. Yahoo Traffic widget has not been working on my Macs for over a year.

Is this the death throe of Yahoo?

Mr. Curmudgeon, on several OSes and an ego trip.
Posted by: numbered
Date: March 27, 2019 09:43AM
I think it is the death throes of the weather api. I wonder if anyone here has paid close attention, but I know that IBM, in the form of weather.com, has been buying up the various weather firms. For example, the snarfed weather underground, and the word is that they will close it up at year end. They got intellicast as well.

I was chasing down a menu bar weather app for my MIL and learned that a number of the api providers to the apps of tanked/or made significant changes (and broke many of the apps.)

I still use the weather underground widget--I love the local weather station angle--but I notice that it has gone flakey. The weather.com widget is still working.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: March 27, 2019 10:57AM
Is this the death throe of Yahoo?

no, yahoo was stillborn devil smiley

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
...word salad is not a disorder, it is a symptom...

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 300
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018