advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any trick connecting TV to internet?
Posted by: samintx
Date: March 30, 2019 09:27AM
My router is in another room, TV in living room. I tried following on screen TV directions to connect but didn’t connect. Does it physically have to connect to a router?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any trick connecting TV to internet?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 30, 2019 10:17AM
Sam,

Need more info. What type of TV? What level of wifi does it support? What type of wifi have you configured on your router? If the TV has wifi, you shouldn't need to hardwire it to the router under most circumstances.

Robert
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 30, 2019 11:10AM
I found streaming to be better with a hardwire connection - a 50-foot cat 5 cable through the attic was easy and effective.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 30, 2019 01:06PM
you probably didn't wait enough for the WiFi vacuum tubes to warm up.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: March 30, 2019 02:10PM
you can't fool me, ain' no vacuum tubes in wifi.
but is there wifi in a vacuum?

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 30, 2019 02:16PM
As mentioned, wired is better but wireless from another room should also work. Issues that could keep wireless from working include things like plastered walls on wire or expanded steel lath, or wallpaper that has a lot of metallic ink or foil.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2019 03:28PM by JoeH.
Posted by: Winston
Date: March 30, 2019 03:01PM
If you've got a Mac laptop around, you can use it to check signal strength on your WiFi.

Get the Mac connected to your WiFi. Put the Mac laptop near the TV.
The application you want is a bit hidden. You have to go to the main level of the Mac, and open the System folder, then follow these folders to the application "Wireless Diagnostics"

System>Library>Core Services>Applications>Wireless Diagnostics

You should also be able to get to it by entering "Wireless Diagnostics" (no quotes) in Spotlight.

When Wireless Diagnostics opens, ignore the dialog window that's titled "Wireless Diagnostics". Don't close the window, as that will quit the program. Just ignore it.
Go to the Window menu, and select "Performance".

This will open a chart that has three bars. The bottom one has "RSSI" in green, and "Noise" in blue. The middle one shows "Quality" in red, which I think is just the difference between RSSI and Noise. You want a decent gap between RSSI and Noise. My MacBook Pro is getting a Quality bar around 22-23, which the
"Info" window of Wireless Diagnostics shows as "Excellent".

If the bottom section of the Performance window shows that RSSI is really close to Noise, that would be an indication of a weak WiFi signal.

You can use the "Scan" window of Wireless Diagnostics to see what WiFi signals are around you. After it opens, click on the "Scan Now" button. The WiFi signal you are connected to will be in bold.

Note that you may have to widen the window, and even then use the scroll bar to see all the info it presents, in particular the WiFi channels that are being used. It may be that you'd get a better signal if your WiFi was on another channel. The Scan window will show you the best WiFi channels on the left. ("Best" being those with the least interference from other WiFi sources.)

Also note that a lot of routers offer both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. The 5 GHz signals can be faster, but don't travel as far. If you were trying to connect the TV to a 5 GHz signal, try the 2.4 GHz signal instead. You might have to set the router up to have a different name for its 5 GHz signal to make this easy to do.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: March 30, 2019 03:12PM
If your iPad/iPhone/laptop can pickup a good wifi signal when held near the TV, then the TV should pick up that same wifi. If your wifi is secured, then you will need to use the TV remote to enter the password. All of this info is found in the TV Settings.

If the TV does not have wifi reception built-in, then you will need a wifi antenna that plugs into a USB port V must be wifi-capable.

All this info is available in the TV manual that you got with the TV or that you can download from the mfr.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on several OSes and an ego trip.
Date: March 30, 2019 03:16PM
ps: If you have an Android phone there are WiFi analyzer apps available. Unfortunately, Apple does not allow or provide this on iPhones.

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 30, 2019 04:28PM
Winston
ps: If you have an Android phone there are WiFi analyzer apps available. Unfortunately, Apple does not allow or provide this on iPhones.

I have a spare Android phone. Any recommendations for such Apps?
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: March 30, 2019 04:38PM
Ombligo
I found streaming to be better with a hardwire connection - a 50-foot cat 5 cable through the attic was easy and effective.
I agree. When I got my LG I decided to try wired as I had a spare Cat6 cable and a
vacant switch port. Definitely better results.

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
...word salad is not a disorder, it is a symptom...

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 30, 2019 05:17PM
Model,

I've never seen a TV with a USB port that is designed for use with a wifi antenna. I saw it on an old TIVO DVR but that's about it. On a TV, USB connections are for a USB stick or drive for media but never Internet.

If a smart TV lacks built-in wifi or its wifi just isn't working but it has an ethernet port and isn't within wire distance of the router, there are still wireless options. Something like an Airport Express or a wifi extender with an ethernet port will do the job. Connect the Airport Express or extender to the wifi network. Hardwire it to the TV. Done.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2019 11:36AM by Robert M.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: March 30, 2019 05:23PM
[play.google.com]

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.
Date: March 30, 2019 08:19PM
space-time
Winston

I have a spare Android phone. Any recommendations for such Apps?

Not really a recommendation. We have an unused Kindle Fire. When I searched for "WiFi Analyzer for Kindle Fire" this is what came up:
[www.amazon.com]
[play.google.com]

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: Carm
Date: March 31, 2019 10:28PM
The wi-fi on my MIL 75in Samsung tv went out, had to use an Ethernet adapter (used a linksys) because A) I didn’t want to crawl in the vaulted ceiling to run an Ethernet cable and B) it was the quickest solution.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 330
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018