advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Roof vent stack probably clogged. Would jobbing it with a 20' PVC pipe work?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 31, 2019 07:23PM
It's happened once before. I don't remember how it was handled. The commode overflows at times and there is a gurgling in the commodes when other water is used.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Roof vent stack probably clogged. Would jobbing it with a 20' PVC pipe work?
Posted by: Carm
Date: March 31, 2019 07:38PM
If it’s actually in the vent pipe and not somewhere else, it should work. Do you have a pest building a nest in the vent pipe?
Re: Roof vent stack probably clogged. Would jobbing it with a 20' PVC pipe work?
Date: March 31, 2019 07:47PM
Carm
If it’s actually in the vent pipe and not somewhere else, it should work. Do you have a pest building a nest in the vent pipe?

I don't know. I can't get on the roof right now for a couple of reasons. I have pine trees all around, so pine needles are my first suspicion.
Date: March 31, 2019 08:30PM
When you do get a chance, or get someone up there, to clear it.
have them put a vent cap or vent guard to prevent it from happening again.
[youtu.be] <-this old house video clearing vent tube with water hose.
Date: March 31, 2019 08:33PM
I saw that video. A camera is not doable. I plan on getting a cap. I don't know why they don't use those from the get-go. I wonder if there's something to put on the end of the PVC pipe to help.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 31, 2019 09:06PM
Dennis S
I saw that video. A camera is not doable. I plan on getting a cap. I don't know why they don't use those from the get-go. I wonder if there's something to put on the end of the PVC pipe to help.

Plumbing code in some areas limits use of caps on vent pipes, I know they are not usable in my area.
Date: March 31, 2019 09:13PM
JoeH, none are installed on my house or houses around me. But I would put one on if I had a tree next to my house causing problems. against code or not, passing code is during construction phase/final house construction keys to new owner type deal. If you want to sell, yeah, I’d remove it before home inspection.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 31, 2019 09:15PM
Any chance you can run a snake UP the vent stack ? Or add in a chase to do that in the future ? Yes, this may require a wall penetration. Or putting a chase into the stack in the attic for the same purpose ? A stack "should" be able to absorb rain or small debris right into the drain line. But nesty critters can break that function.
Date: March 31, 2019 09:27PM
JoeH
Dennis S

Plumbing code in some areas limits use of caps on vent pipes, I know they are not usable in my area.

Plumbing code? This is Arkansas. The code people are glad the toilet is indoors.
Date: March 31, 2019 09:27PM
cbelt3
Any chance you can run a snake UP the vent stack ? Or add in a chase to do that in the future ? Yes, this may require a wall penetration. Or putting a chase into the stack in the attic for the same purpose ? A stack "should" be able to absorb rain or small debris right into the drain line. But nesty critters can break that function.

That's too much trouble.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 01, 2019 07:42AM
......my word, 20" pipe......lord have mercy.......!!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 01, 2019 09:04AM
Plumbing code? This is Arkansas. The code people are glad the toilet is indoors.

POMTL!

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Buck
Date: April 01, 2019 10:08AM
Fishing line! Add a big treble hook to a heavy weight and slowly drop your line. You just might snag that nest and reel it up
Posted by: mikebw
Date: April 01, 2019 10:37AM
Shop vac? Garden hose?
Date: April 01, 2019 10:50AM
I think pine needles are way way more likely that a bird nest. I am literally surrounded by pine trees.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 01, 2019 12:36PM
....but no Chris Pine.....in sight.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 01, 2019 06:22PM
RAMd®d

POMTL!

I had the same reaction.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: April 02, 2019 03:49AM
Dennis S
...Plumbing code? This is Arkansas. The code people are glad the toilet is indoors.

...so no hassles installing an outdoor spa??

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
...word salad is not a disorder, it is a symptom...

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 313
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018