advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Electric car owners, how do you charge your car....
Posted by: max
Date: April 01, 2019 08:21PM
Is it better to use up your battery to a minimum charge, or top it off every time you park at home, or at work?

Does it make a difference?....
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Electric car owners, how do you charge your car....
Posted by: saintyohann
Date: April 01, 2019 08:25PM
It's best to keep the battery between 20-80% for the general health of the battery over time. But most research on EV batteries only shows a 3% delta between people that baby vs abuse their batteries at the four year mark.
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 01, 2019 08:27PM
Wife charges the Volt at work, now she got Level 2 so it fills up in exactly 4 hours. even if the battery is empty, it is full by lunch. She drives home (4.5 miles), then back, and at 2.xx PM the car is full again. She picks up one kid from school and get home with about 20-25 miles left depending on temperature. She runs errands and there is usually enough charge to get back to work in the morning.

In weekend we sometimes run the power cord to charge, but since she got L2 at work we rarely do that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2019 08:29PM by space-time.
Date: April 01, 2019 08:28PM
saintyohann
It's best to keep the battery between 20-80% for the general health of the battery over time. ...

Apparently VOLT does that by default, the battery is never really empty not really full.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 01, 2019 08:28PM
...on Apple credit card......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: GGD
Date: April 01, 2019 08:40PM
It might be more complex for each person and based on their location.

I have a hybrid Prius (not plugin), so it's battery is relatively small, and is mostly charged by regenerative braking or the gas engine.

But I live at the top of a hill. Even if that battery is totally drained when I get to my house, the drive down the hill will fully charge the battery before I get to the bottom.

On top of that when you first start and drive the Prius the gas engine will run for 5 minutes to warm up the catalytic converter in order to meet emissions requirements. For going down hill, this is a waste of gas and the power the engine is generating will also be wasted because the battery will be full before the engine shuts off.

So I think some fully electric car owners might not want to ever fully charge their battery at home, just to leave room for the power generated when they leave the house. I know that if I had one, I would be checking to see if it had some way to tell the charger to shut off at some level below full.
Date: April 01, 2019 08:51PM
......from the heart, always from the heart......

Posted by: graylocks
Date: April 01, 2019 09:04PM
space-time
saintyohann
It's best to keep the battery between 20-80% for the general health of the battery over time. ...

Apparently VOLT does that by default, the battery is never really empty not really full.

exactly. therefore Volts follow the ABC rule - always be charging.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: April 01, 2019 09:10PM

Bryan
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: April 01, 2019 09:33PM
Positrons?

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: davester
Date: April 01, 2019 09:47PM
space-time
saintyohann

My understanding is that all currently marketed electric cars (e.g. Tesla, Bolt, etc) do this. When they say full they are really at 80%. When they say empty they are really at 20%. If they didn't do that the batteries wouldn't last as long as they do.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2019 09:48PM by davester.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: April 01, 2019 09:57PM
davester

My understanding is that all currently marketed electric cars (e.g. Tesla, Bolt, etc) do this. When they say full they are really at 80%. When they say empty they are really at 20%. If they didn't do that the batteries wouldn't last as long as they do.

unless they've changed it Leafs don't do this. the owners have to set it manually. also Volts and Bolts have a different kind of cooling system for the lithium battery than a Nissan Leaf (don't know about Teslas) which is another major reason the batteries have yet to show any serious degradation. cells die on occasion but they aren't degrading appreciably.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2019 09:59PM by graylocks.
Posted by: clay
Date: April 01, 2019 09:59PM
graylocks
davester

unless they've changed it Leafs don't do this. the owners have to set it manually.

Our 2013 leaf has a menu option to limit to 80%. We leave it in that mode unless we know we're going to need the extra range.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 01, 2019 10:07PM
graylocks
space-time
saintyohann

exactly. therefore Volts follow the ABC rule - always be charging.

Yup, we plug it in wherever available and never worry about over/under charging.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: bfd
Date: April 02, 2019 12:37AM
Unless the car is at a Supercharger (where it's free), it's not charging during the day because of the Time-of-use plan here at home. Some exceptions are weekends and Mar/Apr when the lowest rates run until 2PM. Anywhere else, it's only being charged if the rates are extraordinarily fair - and for many L2 chargers that charge a fee, it's not fair.

That's all about money, though. As far as how many times in one day, as others have mentioned - keeping it topped off shouldn't have any more affect on battery life than waiting until it's at a low point. Since there are management systems in most of these cars, the battery is never allowed to charge to 100% or discharge to zero (which would affect battery life - but probably no more so than running in a very hot or very cold environment without some kind of battery cooling or warming)

Early Leaf adopters in Arizona found out that the battery cooling system in those vehicles didn't work well enough to keep them from losing quite a bit of range over the first few years of ownership. When the average temp for the summer gets close to 100ºF and stays there for months, it's not good for batteries unless there's a pretty robust battery cooling system…
Posted by: jardster
Date: April 02, 2019 05:57AM
I charge my Tesla Model 3 to 80-90% capacity daily. That's Tesla's recommendation for daily driving. But if you need the extra range, then go ahead and go to 100% capacity.

Date: April 02, 2019 06:00AM
jardster
I charge my Tesla Model 3 to 80-90% capacity daily. That's Tesla's recommendation for daily driving. But if you need the extra range, then go ahead and go to 100% capacity.

How do you stop it at 80-90%, is there a setting that you can adjust so it stops automatically?
Date: April 02, 2019 06:43AM
....cash only....

Posted by: jardster
Date: April 02, 2019 07:08AM
space-time
jardster

How do you stop it at 80-90%, is there a setting that you can adjust so it stops automatically?

Yes. You can either set it in the car or using the App. The other nice thing is that you can set to charge at a certain time. So mine is set to start charging at midnight when my rates are lowest.

Posted by: max
Date: April 02, 2019 07:40AM
Thanks to all....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 349
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018