advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How do you stream HBO Now on your TV?
Posted by: rgG
Date: April 01, 2019 09:26PM
I have 2.5 year old Samsung Smart TV that doesn’t have the HBO Now app. It has HBO Go but not Now. I have a Chromecast, but it stutters and buffers like crazy. I have decent internet speed of like 30Mbps so it shouldn’t do this.
I have a slightly newer TV upstairs that does have the Now app and it plays without any stuttering, so I don’t think it is my internet, I think it is the Chromecast.
Does anyone use an ATV or Roku or something else that works well with HBO Now or have any suggestions for how to get the Chromecast to work?
I don’t think a 2.5 year old TV should be considered obsolete. I can’t figure out why they don’t have the Now app available for my main TV, but that’s the sad fact.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I wish Dish and HBO could have worked out their issues, but they haven’t. sad smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How do you stream HBO Now on your TV?
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: April 01, 2019 10:07PM
Apple TV 4K 64GB, definitely overpriced but works so nice. HBO Now, Netflix, YouTube all function supremely well.

Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: April 01, 2019 11:12PM
Roku Premier works great for me and we’re stuck with 17Mbps internet right now.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: April 01, 2019 11:48PM
$30 at Wally World
Roku Express

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: April 02, 2019 12:48AM
Thanks for the info.
I have a Roku 1, but of course that model doesn’t support Now. Perhaps the Express or Premier would be the best option. I have read that other people have trouble with the Chromecast, so maybe it isn’t just me.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 02, 2019 03:13AM
Our TCL Roku TV streams it fine

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: sekker
Date: April 02, 2019 08:30AM
I installed an Amazon Fire Stick last week in FIL's house. He also had an ATV3.

The Fire Stick is definitely better than an ATV4, and better than the Roku 3 models we have in my house.

We may get a Fire Stick just because of the remote functions that includes volume and on/off.
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: April 02, 2019 08:33AM
I had a Chromecast a few years ago and had the same problem with the stuttering. Gave it to one of my kids.
Posted by: michaelb
Date: April 02, 2019 09:14AM
I like my ATVs better than the rokus, so I use that. Each time I sign up for sling they try to send me a new roku, so I have 3 sitting around I am not using (I cancel after a month or two); so if you have any interest in trying sling that would be a way to get a roku.
Date: April 02, 2019 02:03PM
sekker
I installed an Amazon Fire Stick last week in FIL's house. He also had an ATV3.

The Fire Stick is definitely better than an ATV4, and better than the Roku 3 models we have in my house.

We may get a Fire Stick just because of the remote functions that includes volume and on/off.

Thanks, I’ll look at that, too.

Date: April 02, 2019 02:04PM
Mike Sellers
I had a Chromecast a few years ago and had the same problem with the stuttering. Gave it to one of my kids.

Glad to know it isn’t just me then. Lol. Maybe it’s an Atlanta thing. smiling smiley

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: April 02, 2019 07:00PM
rgG
I don’t think a 2.5 year old TV should be considered obsolete. I can’t figure out why they don’t have the Now app available for my main TV, but that’s the sad fact.

The sad fact is that TVs are developed and sold on a yearly cycle and once the next year's model is released, previous years' models get little to no support. An Apple or Roku add-on device is MUCH more likely to receive long-term support than a TV from any manufacturer.

That statement should theoretically also apply to Google's Chromecast devices, but I have no personal experience with them and can not confirm whether this is actually the case.

For my money, Apple or Roku are the way to go.

It is what it is.
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 02, 2019 07:48PM

if you do not need AirPlay or play iTunes content, then get the Roku. It seems more stable IMHO. Last night Apple TV did not want to play HBO Go, but Roku had no issue with HBO Go. Sometimes the Apple TV remote is flakey. Roku seems more stable. There is 95% overlap between the two, very few Apps or contents that is only available on one device, but for me Roku seems more stable than Apple.
Date: April 02, 2019 08:09PM
space-time

if you do not need AirPlay or play iTunes content, then get the Roku. It seems more stable IMHO. Last night Apple TV did not want to play HBO Go, but Roku had no issue with HBO Go. Sometimes the Apple TV remote is flakey. Roku seems more stable. There is 95% overlap between the two, very few Apps or contents that is only available on one device, but for me Roku seems more stable than Apple.

Thanks. I don’t need AirPlay or iTunes on the TV, so I think a Roku might be the way to go. I think I will pick one up at Target and give it a whirl.

Date: April 03, 2019 04:09PM
Got a Roku Premier and HBO Now works just fine.
I think it is the casting part that was the problem.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 144
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018