advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Joni Mitchell held it down at the 1970 Isle of Wight Festival
Posted by: vision63
Date: April 04, 2019 12:22AM
That was one tough audience. Trying to hold off the people that didn't want to pay as they tore down the fences. Cats jumping up on stage to yell out some screed. I'm sure you've all seen this. But then Joni turns to songs to sooth the beasts after begging the audience to respect her. She is easily at the absolute top of her form. So amazingly poignant and beautiful. Piano, guitar, dulcimer and her crystal voice. Amazing. Give it a peep.

[youtu.be]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Joni Mitchell held it down at the 1970 Isle of Wight Festival
Posted by: hal
Date: April 04, 2019 01:21AM
that was a great video - thanks for posting it

damn... now I've moved on to Shadows and Light [www.youtube.com]

Live stuff from 1979 and she's all grown up and surrounded by the best musicians on the planet (Metheny, Jaco Pastorius, Mike Brecker etc)

Joni is the best!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2019 01:31AM by hal.
Posted by: davester
Date: April 04, 2019 01:49AM
Thank you for that Vision! i watched/listened to the whole thing. She was truly a force of nature, just a solo beautiful woman, unadorned, no backup band, no electric instruments, no makeup, nothing extra. Just her voice, her love, her guitar, piano, dulcimer, talent.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: pdq
Date: April 04, 2019 07:32AM
I also love Joni. I was surprised to read once, some time ago, that she considers herself a painter first, and a musician second.

I personally love Taming the Tiger (moreso than Blue, which seems to be many folks’ favorite). And Court and Spark is a classic.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: April 04, 2019 08:08AM
I'm no fan. That was really good.

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.

Television is a medium because it is neither rare nor well done.
>>>Ernie Kovacs>>>
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: April 04, 2019 08:33AM
Im a fan..She's ridiculously brilliant. Like any person making great work, she's getting bigger and bigger..She can hold it down anywhere..start playing--lyrics..listen to that voice..a true instrument.

She talks about the legendary Elliot Roberts at the beginning..of course, Elliot is well known as Neil Young's manager since forever..I had the pleasure of spending a number of weeks backstage with Elliot, once a week, at a series of sort of showcase gigs for a band Elliot was managing, It's very easy to understand the guy's legend and the loyalty his clients place in him...the guy is an absolute Prince and has some seriously amazing and crazy stories to tell..very much an endearing guy who takes interest in YOU..so cool
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: April 04, 2019 09:11AM
[www.nytimes.com]

I love the picture, even though it makes me feel older than dirt.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: April 04, 2019 11:28AM
I was supposed to go to the IOW and some friends did. I changed my mind at the last minute because as we said in those days "I was on a promise". Huge regret for the rest of my life, the promise was nothing and even if it had been something I shouldn't have changed my mind.

Thanks for the link vision and thanks for that wonderful photo link ka jowct.

Paul

Posted by: hal
Date: April 04, 2019 01:47PM
ka jowct
[www.nytimes.com]

Everyone gets old, but it really pisses me off that Joni has to age with everyone else.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: April 04, 2019 07:41PM
hal
ka jowct
[www.nytimes.com]

Everyone gets old, but it really pisses me off that Joni has to age with everyone else.

Yes.

I feel that way about David Attenborough too.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 315
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018