The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Man shot dead after paying for other customers' meals at Waffle House
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 09, 2019 09:43PM
Where else but Florida...

[www.aol.com]

"A good Samaritan was killed at a Florida Waffle House during an "altercation" that was allegedly sparked by his own good deeds.

Craig Brewer, 41, was fatally shot in the head around 3 a.m. on Sunday after picking up the tabs of several customers at the restaurant's Gainesville, Fla., location, according to the Alachua County Sheriff's Office.

Brewer had allegedly been going around the eatery paying for others' meals and handing out $20 bills when a woman who was at the Waffle House with shooting suspect Ezekiel Hicks, 25, became angry that the victim's generosity didn't include their table, the Gainesville Sun reports.

Hicks confronted Brewer and the two argued before the suspect left the restaurant and returned with a handgun. The two then engaged in a brief physical fight before Hicks allegedly shot the victim in the head.

Alachua County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Lt. Brett Rhodenizer said officers were already en route to the Waffle House over calls that the restaurant had reached its maximum capacity when the shooting occurred."

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Man shot dead after paying for other customers' meals at Waffle House
Posted by: Z
Date: April 09, 2019 09:59PM
I... no words
Posted by: Ammo
Date: April 09, 2019 10:19PM
Think about how screwed up a person’s life would have to be in order to do something like that.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: April 09, 2019 10:27PM
yes screwed up person...no doubt..sick..

but, BUT,...you have to be very careful when you start popping around a Waffle House>in florida> at 3am >paying for people's stuff>handing out cash..

you had BETTER be very democratic about how you do this because this IS the kind of thing that can get people worked up one way or another..My street sense and experience would never allow me to do this in the same setting..i wouldn't do it in the first place, but there are some rules you need to follow if you're gonna jump out in front of the crowd and do what he did..
Posted by: davester
Date: April 09, 2019 10:39PM
The obvious solution is to allow more people to carry guns (beat Speedy to the punch!)..

Edit: Oh, wait!

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2019 10:39PM by davester.
Posted by: Don C
Date: April 09, 2019 11:08PM
So the guy is going to jail (I should hope, but then this is Florida so that's not a certainty) over a $15 check?

Sad
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 10, 2019 03:31AM
The guy is going to jail because he KILLED somebody.

Let's get that straight.

The check wasn't the cause.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 10, 2019 04:02AM
RAMd®d

It's Florida, under the revised Stand Your Ground Law, that isn't enough. Rule one now is never too confront or stand up to anyone if you want to live.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 10, 2019 08:07AM
Ombligo
RAMd®d

It's Florida, under the revised Stand Your Ground Law, that isn't enough. Rule one now is never too confront or stand up to anyone if you want to live.

Yeah. It's clear what happened. The shooter felt threatened, so he went home to retrieve his gun so that the next time he felt threatened, he could do something about it.

And thus he stood his ground, like any American patriot.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: April 10, 2019 09:53AM

Brewer had allegedly been going around the eatery paying for others' meals and handing out $20 bills when a woman who was at the Waffle House with shooting suspect Ezekiel Hicks, 25, became angry that the victim's generosity didn't include their table, the Gainesville Sun reports.

There’s a story old as time, best friend, girlfriend, relative; somebody writing a check with their mouth for somebody else to cash. Lump in some ego and especially a gun, and a bad end is almost guaranteed.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: April 10, 2019 10:03AM
No good deed goes unpunished...
Posted by: rz
Date: April 10, 2019 10:03AM
Ok, enough with the Florida bashing. The reason you hear so many of these kinds of stories occurring in Florida is because of what's called the Sunshine Law. Our public records law is very transparent. Every detail about things like this made public. Other states will hide details including names of suspects, locations, and other details. Do you think that's better than open and full disclosure?
Posted by: DP
Date: April 10, 2019 10:04AM
but, BUT,...you have to be very careful when you start popping around a Waffle House>in florida> at 3am >paying for people's stuff>handing out cash..

This.

And it brings up the old proverb: No good deed goes unpunished...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: April 10, 2019 10:27AM
3 A.M. on a Sunday morning? Hmm. Let's see, what type of people frequents a greasy spoon waffle place at that time of morning? When's last call at the local watering hole?

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: vision63
Date: April 10, 2019 12:40PM
rz
Ok, enough with the Florida bashing. The reason you hear so many of these kinds of stories occurring in Florida is because of what's called the Sunshine Law. Our public records law is very transparent. Every detail about things like this made public. Other states will hide details including names of suspects, locations, and other details. Do you think that's better than open and full disclosure?

A [Florida Man] defends his state. smiley-rpg028
Posted by: August West
Date: April 10, 2019 12:51PM
vision63
rz

jest smiley

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: M A V I C
Date: April 10, 2019 02:54PM
vision63
rz

And brings facts, but is still mocked.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: vision63
Date: April 10, 2019 05:30PM
M A V I C
vision63
rz

I love the Sunshine State.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 10, 2019 06:55PM
M A V I C
vision63
rz

Except those facts do not include the stand your ground law.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: April 10, 2019 11:16PM
Poor Florida man....

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 11, 2019 11:48AM
It's Florida, under the revised Stand Your Ground Law, that isn't enough.

BS.

How does the suspect, going out and returning with a firearm qualify as using deadly force to stand his ground?

My statement that he KILLED somebody is in context of the article under 'discussion'.

Had your comment been applied to an article about a man shot dead with another found nearby holding a gun, you might have something.

And the article blames the victim. His generosity sparked events, not somebody's claim they were being ignored.

Rule one now is never too confront or stand up to anyone if you want to live.

That would be sound advice in a number of US cities outside of Florida, without a stand your ground law.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 264
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018