advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
tube top?!....'YouTube TV' just raised prices from $40/mo to........
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 10, 2019 12:42PM
....$49.99......but adds 10 more channels...... Discovery, HGTV, Food Network, TLC, Investigation Discovery, Animal Planet, Travel Channel, MotorTrend and EPIX........effective May 13......

Google is raising the price of YouTube TV to $50, showing that it's hard to compete with cable

•Google is increasing the price of YouTube TV to $50 per month.
•The price increase applies to existing subscribers and new ones, and goes into effect for current members beginning May 13.
•AT&T and Sling TV have also increased prices recently, showing that battling traditional cable networks is not simple.

.....Google's YouTube announced on Wednesday that it's increasing the price of YouTube TV to $49.99 per month for subscribers, and $54.99 per month for subscribers who pay through Apple iTunes.

It affects new members beginning on Wednesday and will apply to existing members on the first bill after May 13. YouTube TV originally launched at a cost of $35 per month, and increased the price to $40 per month in March 2018.

The price bump is yet another sign that streaming TV providers are having a difficult time competing with traditional cable networks as they scale and add channels, even though streaming services were originally billed as a solution to expensive cable bills.

Just last month, AT&T increased the price of its DirecTV Now service by $10 per month. Dish's Sling TV has consistently increased the price of its product too.

Google explained a bit why it felt the need to increase its prices. It has expanded its service to cover all of the U.S. and added more than 10 new channels since launch. It's also adding Discovery, HGTV, Food Network, TLC, Investigation Discovery, Animal Planet, Travel Channel, MotorTrend and EPIX.

Still, one of the initial appeals of streaming TV services was that people could cut the cable cord and only pay for internet service. But, as prices creep up, these services are becoming nearly as costly as cable.

you and me against the world..........?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2019 03:31PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: tube top?!....YouTube TV just raised prices from $40/mo to........
Posted by: JoeH
Date: April 10, 2019 12:49PM
Not currently subscribed to YouTube TV, this kind of adding on and increasing the price is part of why I dropped cable 3+ years ago. Not one of the channels added are of interest to me, just another "improvement" by Google that makes me less interested in their products.
Posted by: vision63
Date: April 10, 2019 02:24PM
I had YouTube TV for a while. It's worked the best of the free trials of Hulu Live and DirecTV Go because it has unlimited dvr action with a simpler interface. But you still gotta have internet so I've switched back to cable.
Re: tube top?!....'YouTube TV' just raised prices from $40/mo to........
Posted by: sekker
Date: April 10, 2019 04:23PM
We just switched from Directv now. Still better
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: April 10, 2019 04:47PM
vision63
I had YouTube TV for a while. It's worked the best of the free trials of Hulu Live and DirecTV Go because it has unlimited dvr action with a simpler interface. But you still gotta have internet so I've switched back to cable.
I’ll be whipping out the spreadsheet soon for a comparison, and once everything is tallied up, especially access speed for the price and availability of local stations, I’m expecting cable will be a front runner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2019 04:48PM by Blankity Blank.
Posted by: vision63
Date: April 10, 2019 05:08PM
Blankity Blank
vision63
I’ll be whipping out the spreadsheet soon for a comparison, and once everything is tallied up, especially access speed for the price and availability of local stations, I’m expecting cable will be a front runner.

It's like we can't ever have a clear win.
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 10, 2019 05:11PM
sekker
We just switched from Directv now. Still better

what makes YouTube TV better than DirecTVNow? I have the grandfathered plan, I think 100+ channels for like $45/month and I am not sure if I want to keep it or switch. if I switch, I will probably try YouTube TV.
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 10, 2019 05:11PM
and also $100 for T-Mobile version? what is the point of that?
Posted by: Michael
Date: April 10, 2019 08:55PM
We were grandfathered into the $35. We also subscribe to Philo for a half dozen channels that my wife likes. Unfortunately one of them is the History Channel that isn't going to YoutubeTV. The others are. She'll have to decide if that one channel is worth $16 a month. I wonder what we'll do...
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 10, 2019 09:46PM
....saw a posting and they will be raising prices for people who are grandfathered into the $35/mo.....so everyone will be getting the price increase.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 100
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018